• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Unreality: Am I really a Fantasy Writer??

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone

When I first came to Mythic Scribes I already knew that my Fantasy stories were a little different to traditional fantasy... but when I started to read posts and I got a glimpse of the way that most of you create and write your fantasy stories, I was shocked to discover that my stories are VERY different to yours!!

I have sometimes described my magic, characters and worlds as "surreal fantasy" because that's my style, like stuff taken from surreal paintings or even dreams- a friend of mine (who lives in Madrid and a few years ago read a now outdated version of my first fantasy novel) has described my works as unreality, he says that it's not fantasy and I wanted to ask your opinion here in Mythic Scribes

1- Good vs Evil: The tradition in Fantasy is that there is a central plot dealing with the Good vs Evil struggles, you know, the group of heroes that must help the main hero to defeat the forces of evil trying to destroy or conquer the world... In my fantasy, this does not exist: My mages are actually evil, despite that some of them try to act as good (what they call "the lies") and even though they do not seek to conquer worlds, they usually abuse and kill common people and have sometimes annihilated entire cities just for fun

There are different cultures of mages that fight each other, so actually it's like Evil vs Evil

2- Hero: The central Hero that usually comes from a low and common life and rises to destiny and legend to vanquish evil is another classic part of Fantasy, but in my stories my "heroine" is a Mage Princess from the very start, later becoming a Queen... Things happen to her in twisted and often unexpected ways (most of the times it's the fault of someone else!!) and she is not particularly skilled or powerful, at least not more than other mages of her own culture and kind

She seems sweet most of the time, but she's actually a sadist and a murderess of innocent people... so this is another twist from traditional fantasy style =P

3- Dark Lord: In my stories there is indeed a character that could be considered a dark lord, but the difference is that she's like a dark legend and a background problem that nobody seems to really worry about- She is powerful enough to reality warp an entire endless universe, destroy it into nothingness or create universes from nowhere, so she does not care about conquering worlds or enslaving people

The only time that she conquered a world in the story was to simply take something that the mages had abandoned there and then fill the place with her monster pets so they would have fun!! She appears personally only in the end of the story, and even though the mages fight her in a great battle, they never defeat her and it's evil vs evil all over again...

4- Quest: There is no clear quest in my stories, it's more like unexpected things that happen to the mages and all the crazy things and battles that they have =)

5- Medieval Setting: Most Fantasy stories out there take place in medieval-like worlds, but in my stories they take place in worlds with curious and rare technology.. also, my main universe is a sea that never ends (the worlds are continental-size islands) and other universes that the mages travel to are like endless forests, endless gardens or endless darkness with snow that comes out of nowhere and is taken eternally by powerful winds

6- Races: There are no elves, dwarves, orcs, giants, trolls or anything like that in my stories- actually there are no humans at all

7- Magic: My mages are awfully powerful and they are more like mystical creatures instead of magic users, capable of flying at hypersonic speeds, annihilate cities left and right effortlessly, destroy entire worlds and cause reality warping to a massive scale- In fact I am pretty obsessed with super mages, great battles and magical weapons of mass destruction in the same way that some sci fi fans get obsessed with mile-long starships, huge space armadas and planet-busting weaponry

Please tell me, after reading all of this... can my stories really be called Fantasy, or am I writing something else??

Sheila

Last edited:

Ghost

Inkling
Please tell me, after reading all of this... can my stories really be called Fantasy, or am I writing something else??

You're a fantasy writer. If you were doing things based on science and scientific theories, or literary novels set in the real world with magic, maybe it would be something else like science fiction or magical realism. From your descriptions, I don't see those things.

I'm in a similar boat in that my stuff isn't very much like what most fantasy writers seem to write. My stories center on very different topics. There are no dark lords in my stories, just my protagonist vs. other people. My protagonists are usually commoners who stay commoners. I hate quest storylines. My medieval setting progresses after several magical and technological revolutions. Even though I have supernatural beings, my stories are about the terrible things people do to each other.

Obviously, you and I both still have magic which is very much a fantasy element. It's not unusual to write about royalty or people in power. Your stories sound like they're epic in scope, which is common. Battles are also common. Your setting is different, but it all reads very much like fantasy to me.

I believe fantasy has a lot of wiggle room. It's a shame so many fantasy novels and series feature the same things (quests, dark lords, elves, the Chosen One) done the same way because there is so much potential for unusual new worlds. I wouldn't worry about it, Sheilawisz.

subdee

Dreamer
I agree, it sounds like you ARE writing fantasy; and I like your ideas.

All those points you made about what fantasy fiction is, are just generalisations and in no way do they apply to the broader sense of fantasy.

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
It's definitely fantasy but what branch is it...?

We're both in the same plane here. I don't want my story to be your typical, traditional fantasy story with elves and dwarves and dungeons and dragons all living in harmony with the the humans in a 10th century Middle Age world. I want it to be different... evolved fantasy? science fantasy? final fantasy? I don't know but for now I call my type of fantasy 'a world where ancient magic and futuristic science and technology mix.'

danr62

Sage
Fantasy is a very broad genre and most of the points on your list apply primarily to what people call "high fantasy", I believe. There are many sub-genres within fantasy and your writing sounds like it could belong to any of these other than high fantasy.

If you've ever read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, you know that he doesn't follow these normal conventions either. In fact this series belongs to a sub genre known as "urban fantasy". Basically, the protagonist is a wizard/detective in Chicago who always gets involved in some pretty heavy stuff.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
4- Quest: There is no clear quest in my stories, it's more like unexpected things that happen to the mages and all the crazy things and battles that they have =)

Like I said elsewhere, you're fine. You're writing fantasy, you haven't been relegated to an isolated, obscure sub-genre of craziness. You're fine.

From all of the points you've made, this one, though, does raise red flags for me about your writing, which of course I say having never read anything of it. Certainly there doesn't need to be a One-Ring-Quest, but I think there should really be some kind of thruline connecting the story and the battles and the adventure all together, and "The Quest" usually serves this role. Maybe you've got something else substituting for the role, but this post makes me think of your writing as a series of short stories strung together.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well Shela let me answer your question with another question. What is fantasy?
Well Brian, for me Fantasy means imagination and all the wonderful things that you can create with it... Imagination is, in my opinion, the greatest power in the universe and without imagination we would have nothing at all- Stories about monsters, magic and supernatural events are as old as humanity itself, but in our modern times Fantasy seems to be almost defined by the points that I listed above so I was worried that maybe I was not writing "fantasy" as it tends to be defined... I feel much better now =)

You're a fantasy writer. If you were doing things based on science and scientific theories, or literary novels set in the real world with magic, maybe it would be something else like science fiction or magical realism. From your descriptions, I don't see those things.

I'm in a similar boat in that my stuff isn't very much like what most fantasy writers seem to write. My stories center on very different topics. There are no dark lords in my stories, just my protagonist vs. other people. My protagonists are usually commoners who stay commoners. I hate quest storylines. My medieval setting progresses after several magical and technological revolutions. Even though I have supernatural beings, my stories are about the terrible things people do to each other.

Obviously, you and I both still have magic which is very much a fantasy element. It's not unusual to write about royalty or people in power. Your stories sound like they're epic in scope, which is common. Battles are also common. Your setting is different, but it all reads very much like fantasy to me.

I believe fantasy has a lot of wiggle room. It's a shame so many fantasy novels and series feature the same things (quests, dark lords, elves, the Chosen One) done the same way because there is so much potential for unusual new worlds. I wouldn't worry about it, Sheilawisz.
Thank you so much for your post, Ouroboros!! You made me feel much better =) It's great to know that there are other fantasy writers out there creating stories that are not exactly the most common stuff seen in our genre!!

There is no question in my mind that you are writing fantasy and it sounds very interesting.
Thank you FictionQuest!! And I thought that my style of fantasy would not sound appealing to other writers here in Mythic Scribes...

I'll write other replies to the rest of you now =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I agree, it sounds like you ARE writing fantasy; and I like your ideas. All those points you made about what fantasy fiction is, are just generalisations and in no way do they apply to the broader sense of fantasy.
True, subdee.. Fantasy must be a broader world, with so much potential than just the classic stuff.

It's definitely fantasy but what branch is it...?

We're both in the same plane here. I don't want my story to be your typical, traditional fantasy story with elves and dwarves and dungeons and dragons all living in harmony with the the humans in a 10th century Middle Age world. I want it to be different... evolved fantasy? science fantasy? final fantasy? I don't know but for now I call my type of fantasy 'a world where ancient magic and futuristic science and technology mix.'
Hello Terra, I already knew from the other threads that your fantasy stories were different to the ordinary =) Maybe we should start to create new sub genres of Fantasy here in Mythic Scribes, and for me your style would be called... science fantasy!! That's good, now what to call mine?

Fantasy is a very broad genre and most of the points on your list apply primarily to what people call "high fantasy", I believe. There are many sub-genres within fantasy and your writing sounds like it could belong to any of these other than high fantasy.
It's good to know that my stories are not the typical high fantasy, but then, which sub genre do my stories belong to?? I'll be thinking about this for weeks..

Like I said elsewhere, you're fine. You're writing fantasy, you haven't been relegated to an isolated, obscure sub-genre of craziness. You're fine.

From all of the points you've made, this one, though, does raise red flags for me about your writing, which of course I say having never read anything of it. Certainly there doesn't need to be a One-Ring-Quest, but I think there should really be some kind of thruline connecting the story and the battles and the adventure all together, and "The Quest" usually serves this role. Maybe you've got something else substituting for the role, but this post makes me think of your writing as a series of short stories strung together.
Hey Devor =) I already valued your opinion, it's just that I wanted to ask everyone and give them an idea of what my stories are like to get a broader point of view.. thanks!! My novels are not heavy, but they are not short either (they range from 67000 to 93000 words long) They are indeed connected even without a clear quest, like something that happened in the first novel causes something else in the second and third and so on, but each of them is a separate story with the characters evolving as the series advances