• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing What You Enjoy...

Xaysai

Inkling
Hello, all! I just wanted to take a moment to share my recent experiences in the world of writing.

As some of you know, I've spent the better part of the last six months on these forums whining, moaning, complaining and boo-hoo'ing about how hard it is to write, how hard it is to come up with ideas, and how hard it is to find an audience.

So, last month I decided to take a different route, and began a blog dedicated to a subject that is my very guilty pleasure: video gaming. It's mostly a humor/satire blog, in which I have attempted to maintain the high level of writing standard one might find in a novel.

In the last month, I have published roughly 20 posts to my video game blog (peaking at 1,511 views in ONE DAY).

In the last six months, I have published 8 posts to my fiction blog (haven't hit 1,511 views TOTAL)

The difference being, on the video game blog, the topics just come to me, and the writing just pours out of me. Instead of publishing 1k words a month to my fiction blog, I am now publishing 1k words in about an hour to my video game blog, of a similar quality, but with greater voice and style.

Now, I am not completely naive to the difference between writing a novel/short story and a blog post, but I finally feel the freedom and fun of publishing something which I actually look forward to writing or editing after a long day of work. I no longer feel imprisoned by the blank page, the words or the blinking cursor.

...and the best part, most of the feedback I get from my posts are about how "well written" they are. One commenter referred to my writing as "poetry", and I owe all of that to the Mythic Scribes. Hell, 2 gaming websites have asked if I would be willing to submit material to them.

Word economy, active sentences, lack of adverb abuse, and even in some cases properly written DIALOGUE, all (mostly) cleverly accomplished only by my association with all of you.

I plan to continue my fiction writing, as I believe it has made me a better writer as a whole, but just want to let other people out there who might be truly struggling to find inspiration that maybe you should examine other options in addition to your current path.

Thanks,

Dan

Filk

Troubadour
Always good to hear about success! Glad you're writing and satisfied with it. That can be a tough goal to obtain sometimes.

Aosto

Sage
Would you be willing to share your blog link with us? I would be very interested in reading it, I to have a love/hate relationship with video games.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Good for you!

Perhaps you could do the occasional bit of 'flash fiction' and drop it into your gaming blog. As I remember, some of your efforts here did show promise.

That is nice to hear. About your '(un)success' in fiction, maybe could be the 'voice' (I think this is the term) that is holding you down. Maybe if you get to write describe things in a different way it could feel more natural and fluid.

And, by the way, where is the link for your gaming blog?