• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Woes

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
I want to write a fantasy story, but I find it to be a struggle. I used to want to write a novel, but I don't think it is for me as I rarely read novels and I prefer visual mediums such as graphic novels. I agree that the best writers are readers and you should write what you know, but I don't think "reading" should be strictly confined to novels, but you should read extensively in whatever medium you plan to write in. So if you want to make a movie, read lots of movie scripts, etc.

I enjoy the fantasy genre, though most of my enjoyment from it comes from the aforementioned graphic novels as well as movies, T.V. shows, table-top role-playing games and video games, but I have not read that many fantasy novels, at least not of the traditional kind. I used to read Percy Jackson, which is more of a mythological fantasy, and Warriors and Redwall, but Eragon is the only novel I read that takes place in the standard "pseudo-Medieval European setting." I think it is alright and good for younger readers, but as someone who was in their late teens at the time, I did not really enjoy it that much and had to force myself to finish it. I could see myself liking it if I had gotten into it when I was younger. There is also Ranger's Apprentice which is low fantasy in that it has very little magic or supernatural elements, or at least the elements that are present are subtle, and most everyone is human (only one other race was mentioned as far as I got) but otherwise conforms to a standard fantasy setting.

I also could not get into Lord of the Rings (I know, blasphemy), but I mainly read it because I had an acquaintance who was super into it and seemed very annoyed that I did not know a thing about it aside from a few main characters. I personally found it a little too slow for my taste, and found myself constantly thinking "get to the point." I understand it may not be written for me and is meant more for the environment Tolkien created. I've read that Tolkien was influenced by epics and European myths, which I enjoyed, I really like the epics of Gilgamesh and Beowulf, but I just could not get into Tolkien's work.

I guess I prefer graphic novels because I find them a faster read and it is easier for me to keep my attention with them, as I tend to let my mind wander when reading a novel.

I also obsess with originality.

I don't know if there is a point to any of this other than to let my thoughts out and figure out what to do when it comes to writing, and maybe receive some tips.

DylanRS

Dreamer
"I want to write a fantasy story, but I find it to be a struggle" reads to me like "I want to climb a mountain, but I find it to be a struggle", or "I want to take up meditation, but I just can't focus." You could be using struggle in a different sense and in that case I apologize for the possible "gotcha!" moment.

Your notion that the best writers are readers is spot on. If you want a struggle-free tip, build up your story consumption until you feel like you're devouring them. Even if you hate most of the things you end up consuming, that's food for your taste. In my opinion, though, one should read as a reader, play games as a gamer, etc. and separate reflection and consumption on your plate. You can put SOME peas in your potatoes and do quick reflections during the consumption part of the process, but personally I'm worried about losing perspective on what peas taste like by themselves. I'll add that you shouldn't only seek out movie scripts to write a movie, or at least, you shouldn't only apply the wisdom you received from those movie scripts. I think it was Stephen King maybe (could be way wrong) who said you should consume everything. I know a lot of advice of this nature likes to say stuff like "If you want to write an action thriller T.V. series you should read the occasional pulp romance." You probably don't have to go THAT far, but there's something to glean from that advice.

I feel like "originality" as an obsession is like a mire you need to avoid. During the actual process you could just give yourself a quick, light check, but then when it comes to specifically dealing with your sense of originality it should be broad and reflective. Usually when I hear someone describe their issues with originality it comes across to me as self consciousness. While self reflection is crucial, self consciousness is poison to creativity. You haven't specifically demonstrated that you're one who needs this advice, but it may be a worthwhile consideration anyways. Even as just a reminder to the both of us.

Yora

Maester
I don't like most fantasy books either. The lack of anything that I would want to read is the main reason I want to write. The world of fantasy books is still missing many great things. All the really cool ideas I come across come from movies, TV shows, comics, and videogames and compared to those plots, characters, and creative concepts all the books I see seem just bland and boring.
People keep nagging about reading outside the genre, but I think all the best new ideas are found outside the medium.

goldhawk

Troubadour
I want to write a fantasy story, but I find it to be a struggle. I used to want to write a novel, but I don't think it is for me as I rarely read novels and I prefer visual mediums such as graphic novels.

You can't be good at something you don't like. If you like graphic novels, concentrate on them. Perhaps you should look at screenwriting instead. It can be easily converted to graphic novels.

I also could not get into Lord of the Rings (I know, blasphemy), ...

Tolkien is a slow read. You're not alone in not getting into it. The movies are faster paced and faithful to the book, so perhaps you'll enjoy them better.

I also obsess with originality.

Don't be. All original work has been done before. Strive for distinctiveness, not originality.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Tolkien is a slow read. You're not alone in not getting into it. The movies are faster paced and faithful to the book, so perhaps you'll enjoy them better.
If their faith is compared to the Hobbit movies... then yes, they’re faithful, heh heh.

There are no origial stories, only original expressions.

While I feel your pain in reading fantasy, I don’t see anything of note in other mediums either.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Do what makes you happy. If you want to write, then write, in whatever form you want, in whatever setting your want. It's your story. Build it how ever you want. Ignore the doubting voices in your head and just do it. I can tell you your early efforts will probably be disappointing, but if you keep at it you will get better and better.

For me, there's a certain degree of satisfaction in finishing something even if it stinks. That's because it requires effort and work. Nothing worth doing comes easy, and you get what you put into something, and all those cliche sayings apply. IMHO, it doesn't get easier, but it does get simpler.

If you want to write, then write. For now, ignore the everything that you've read or heard that tell you what writer's should be doing and how, and just do what writer's do, write. If you want to get published, that's a different story, so leave that in the bag for now.

There are no origial stories, only original expressions.

Love the way said this.