• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

wynnara's illustration & things

Wynnara

Minstrel
The 9-to-5 grind has been suitably grind-y the last little while, but my hope for 2014 is to carve out a little more space for creative pursuits. These are a couple of my latest digital pieces -- the first one being a promo banner I've been using for my blog...

tw_social_banner.jpg

...and this is a quick little practice piece that I riffed off a photo I found for "V for Vendetta".

v_vendetta.jpg

Anyways, hope to be back more often. :happy:

Wynnara

Minstrel
I like the cute little knight-like character in the first picture.

Thanks. :) That would be Sir Stumpy. He was the star of my demo reel when I went to animation school once upon a long time ago.

These days he's kind of my personal mascot. He's the little guy who is all about perseverance.

Last edited:

Wynnara

Minstrel
emmaFINAL-768x1024.jpg

#52 in my 100 Faces Project -- the likeness isn't as strong as I would like, but it's Emma Swan from the TV series, "Once Upon a Time". I took a bit of a run at a different Photoshop style on this one and tried to incorporate some of Vielmond's suggestions to capture a more painterly look.

Wynnara

Minstrel
robert_downey_jr_sig_by_wynnara-d6zjhqy.jpg

#53 in my 100 Faces Project -- Robert Downey Jr.
Although not as painterly as #52, I feel this one has a much stronger likeness.

Btw, if you have suggestions for faces I should try, please feel free to let me know. I'm alternating between men and women, but I'm also trying to get the widest range I can in terms of face types, ages, ethnic backgrounds and so on.

Nihal

Vala
I can see some steady improvement here, good work! I've liked your last study in particular, I can see you're getting more intimate with brushstrokes and blocks of colors. :)

I don't know if it works to you, but I found out that I absorb more knowledge by interspersing studies and original pieces, e.g. face photo study, face from imagination, photo study, imagination.

Suggestion for face: Astrid Berges-Frisbey
She played that siren in Pirates of the Caribbean. She has those interesting cheeks and jawline, an almost asian profile with a slightly jutting chin and that bumpy-area-around-the-mouth-that-transitions-to-the-chin (I have no idea what it's called) quite evident—that is interesting to paint because many artists overlook this detail and understanding this makes your mouths-chins believable. 3/4 studies of faces like hers can be challenging.

astrid-berges-frisbey_09,11.jpg

I also advise to pay attention to faces as a mass, a volume, something more than individual features like "this mouth" and "those eyebrows". A face's shape has an incredible influence on the characterization. There is a thing known as John Asaro's Head, which is a sculpture featuring the planes present on an average face. It's a useful tool to train the eye to perceive these planes and volumes in varied faces, besides helping with lighting.

cTZfL.jpg

A zip with a bunch of photos in different angles: John Asaro - Planes of the Head