• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You want to create the Protagonist, or a side character in your writing. Here's tips!

Hello my beloved Scribes! Some people have trouble creating characters in their story, and it's actually more complicated than the eye meets. Characters are what make your story most of the time.

For begginers, I wanted to say, that when you're making a character you need to know more than you should. Fill out this character sheet below. Keep in mind, this doesn't apply for all types of stories, neither does it require you fill out ALL of them. Anyway Scribes, hope you enjoy!

Name
Ethnicity
Appearance
Residence
Pets
Religion
Hobbies
Single or married?
Children?
Temperament
Favorite color
Friends
Favorite foods
Drinking patterns
Phobias
Faults
Something hated?
Secrets?
Strong memories?
Any illnesses?
Nervous gestures?
Sleep patterns

Shockley

Maester
Goals
Motivations
Hopes for the future
Regrets of the past
Skills
Conflicts

I got to say, I think all of this are more integral to the creation of a solid character than any of the traits listed in the first post. These are the kinds of things that make your character top tier, and provide the motivation for the events of the story.

Goals
Motivations
Conflicts

I find that these tend to be a product of the plot, as well as the character's own background and personality.

Some characters may not even want anything in particular, or not really know what they want, and rather just react to the circumstances.

Hopes for the future

Isn't this basically the same thing as goals?

Shockley

Maester
I don't like characters that don't want anything. They are fundamentally passive and, as a result, a little uninteresting next to characters who have drive and motivation.

Aravelle

Sage
I follow what I call the PPD. Passions, Pains, Disorders. Figure out those three and you'll make a better character than by filling out a questionnaire. Trust me. Oh, and figuring out sexuality and race are of the utmost importance as well.

shangrila

Inkling
If you're trying to make your story through your characters, then it's much more important to fill out what Butterfly wrote. Motivation is what truly creates a character.

That said, the original list is good for filling out as a resource. Use it as a reference whenever you're unsure about a particular trait your character might have. Trust me, it'll save on editing.