• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Writing Sins

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Maybe we had a post like this before, but I haven't seen one recently. (The Mythic Scribes Blood Pact? Which is still a go for those that committed :) )As writers we sometimes need to lay bare some of our issues as writers that may hold us back. Sometimes by putting a magnifying glass on the problems you have, it can make it so you pay more attention to eliminating them or ultimately just decide to embrace them. I've embraced some of these below, but I'll share with you ones that have caused/continue to cause me issues.

1. Mixing modern language with sword and sorcery style fantasy.

I've often had comments about how the modern language of some of my characters jars people from the story because I guess there is this assumption that all fantasy worlds are medieval or can't use modern language in them unless they're urban fantasy. That's something I've struggled a lot with, but I actually find that it works for some of my stories and doesn't for others. This is a sin I'm not sure will be eliminated because I do like to combine modern conventions with fantasy stories. Call it anachronistic or whatever, I guess.

2. Cursing

My characters curse a lot. I don't so much mind it, but I know it may turn off a segment of readers. I tend to read books and watch movies with lots of cursing in it, so foul language doesn't make me bat an eyelash. I do tend to try to use cursing only when people are angry though or if it's a particular character that just curses a lot. Not sure what to do about this one.

3. Extreme Violence

I know lots of people are getting turned off my grimdark style fantasy fiction nowadays. Some say it's had it's day in the sun and people are looking for more optimistic fiction again. That may be true, but I also think as writers we can't worry much about trends coming and going. My fiction tends to be violent. Lots of monster battles, blood, etc. Most of the time I do it as my aesthetic of having over the top violence. Kind of like Mortal Kombat style. I don't take it completely serious most of the time. Sometimes it's satirical and sometimes it's darker and more serious. My original background in horror fiction keeps this ingrained in my style I suppose. I have written non-violent fiction before, so I don't think I HAVE to do it, it's just a sin I drag around like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.

4. Was and Were

Not something I can completely eradicate, I know, but in my first drafts I see lots of was and were everywhere. I snipe them out when I can, but there are just some instances where I find it hard to do. I wonder how other people feel about this (I see it in published fiction all the time, so I guess it's not that big of a deal).

5. Bloated Cast of Characters

I love having lots of characters, but sometimes many of them are completely unnecessary. I've since taken a more proactive stance toward this, eliminating named characters unless they actually have some significance to the plot. I also tend to think if a character showed up one time, that means they have to show up over and over again. Either that or I have to show them die. I don't know why I do that, but I have this apprehension readers may say "What happened to so and so?" Something I'm definitely working on.

6. Need to Write Everything

My feeling of wanting to jump around to different genres may limit me in a marketable way once I start publishing. Or maybe it'll help me. I don't know. NO ONE KNOWS!

OK, so those are some of my sins. Some are more bearable than others. Feel free to share some of your sins and how you feel about them (accept them, change them, or do away with them). If you want to comment on some of what I listed, go ahead, too.

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
Right now my biggest problems are that...

1. I never finish anything. This problem with this is pretty obvious.

2. I don't write enough. All writing is practice, whether you're writing something with the intent to publish it or not. Because I don't manage to snatch enough writing time I don't get enough practice.

At this point I have to accept these problems. Berating myself up for them only makes it worse, because I'm prone to anxiety. Number 2 is a natural consequence of being a mother of a large family with special needs. It's just the way it is and pushing myself too hard won't make my writing any better. Number 1 is just something I have to keep working to remedy.

Hmm, interesting Phil. Do you have an example of your 'modern' language? I'm just curious because I probably do all kinds of anachronistic things. I have perhaps the rather unhelpful attitude that, for example, although my world may resemble medieval Europe or whatever, someone got around to inventing the piano a little earlier. I'm still working on the whole believability thing :D.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm of the opinion that if something works, it works. I try not to place my worlds in any specific time period, which may be frustrating to some. I believe a lot of writers like to derive their worlds from history and I admire that a lot. However, I just write what I think sounds cool, which can damage believability for readers that are used to a certain kind of style. Here's an example of some dialogue I may use (I'm just writing this right now, so this isn't from a WIP or anything):

"Yeah, looks like everyone's dead." Yargoth scratched his beard and leaned against his claymore.
"Really?" Angeline laughed the way sorceress's normally did, open mouthed and booming. "Looks like they're sleeping."
"They're sleeping in blood then."
"Maybe they're vampires." Angeline lifted up one of the body's arms and dropped it. "Really sleepy vampires."
"Vampires sleep in their food?"
"You fall asleep on top of bones all the time."
Yargoth's eyebrows furrowed. "Ah, but that's different. Those are bones of my enemies, not of my food."
"Sometimes they're the same," Angeline said.
"Fair enough."

A lot of the language here may be considered too modern for a fantasy setting with someone named Yargoth who wields a claymore or a sorceress named Angeline. People may see the terms "claymore" and "sorceress" and feel that this must be a medieval setting. However, I guess I see my fiction more like Glen Cook's Black Company series. I feel like the characters talk in a more modern style, but the world still has monsters, wizards, and the like in it.

I guess people may expect this kind of language in urban fantasy, but in anything that resembles epic fantasy it's a harder sell.

Using "yeah," "fair enough" and contractions may make the writing sound too modern. I personally don't mind this style, but it has to be something a readership has to accept early on. Some readers may get immediately thrown out of a story if they view it as unbelievable. So my job is to hopefully show my writing as comedic in some way so that people don't take it so seriously when it comes to the language. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have to figure out how I want to go about doing this.

Last edited:
One of mine is what I call Favorite Word Syndrome. Some people get songs stuck in their heads; I get words stuck in my head. I have one word that rattles around in my skull for a while, and when I go back to revise my work, I realize that it is abso-frickin-lutely EVERYWHERE.

I have many more, but that one is really noticeable.

C

Chessie

My worst writing sins: Skyrim and the internet. Need I say more? :/ Its not like I can't get away from it either. Just need to work on my willpower.

Butterfly

Auror
I seem to have a 'gaze' addiction. Everyone gazes at something or turns his gaze from that to this, or fixed his gaze on something... I'm trying hard to break it... really hard, or at least to find a variation in how the characters are looking at things.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I recently had it pointed out to me, in a novella length work, I used too many infinite verb phrases (A sentence with an act but without an actor). I never noticed it before & it's something crit partners never mentioned. Typically, as in my case, it's done to avoid the common Name/Pronoun heavy sentence structure.

It could be specific to that story, but I doubt it. Sometime soon, I'm going to comb through the completed works of the past year and find out for sure.

Either way, I love it when someone can illustrate a weakness in my writing. That's especially true if it's one I'm not aware of. I can use that knowledge to improve.

So... Maybe it's a sin. I'll know for sure when I look back through other stories. At least now I'm aware.

Ruby

Auror
Hi, my worst writing sins are:

1 Procrastination - why am I on here instead of writing my WIPs?

2 Not finishing anything - see 1 above.

3 Starting several WIPs including a graphic novel and a cartoon series and flitting from one to another instead of concentrating on one and finishing it - see 2 above.

4 Writing a fantasy novel with over 70 characters, including two rabbits; then writing the prequel and adding an extra 50 characters as they're the ancestors of some of the characters in the first WIP, as I introduced time travel into the story.

5 Writing 12 chapters before I discovered that there wasn't a plot.

6 Finding the plot ( see 5 above) and then suddenly have it expand to include every plot of every book I've ever read plus virtually every genre.

7 Deciding that my unfinished WIP, plus the prequel, will now be part of a trilogy.

8 Getting writers block from trying to make sense of the impossible paradoxes in my time travel novel.

9 Sending chapters by email to friends and relatives; clogging up their in-boxes with multiple edited and re edited versions of the same chapter; telling them to "Ignore the earlier versions and read THIS one!"

10 Starting to write my unfinished time travel fantasy trilogy as a musical.

11 Turning everything into comedy. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Roc

Gryphos

Auror
I seem to have a 'gaze' addiction. Everyone gazes at something or turns his gaze from that to this, or fixed his gaze on something... I'm trying hard to break it... really hard, or at least to find a variation in how the characters are looking at things.

I have a similar problem in that I can't stop referring to people's eyes. It's always "soandso's eyes shifted from here to there" or "he returned his eyes to me" or "he prised his eyes away from it".

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I don't think I can properly report on my sins until I have multiple works that have been reviewed by beta readers (at least). To date, I have only three.

I don't call not finishing stories a sin. That's merely a failure. Repeated failures still don't add up to sin. At most it's a sin of omission rather than a sin of commission. In that category, though, my biggest problem is an inability to finish editing. I'm not talking about being obsessive about small matters, I'm talking about having major pacing or plot issues that I seem unable to resolve. When I try, I get bogged down with too many possibilities, get discouraged, write a bit here and there, but never manage to resolve the central problem. For example, a section that is too slow. A big section. Several chapters. I try everything from outlining to beats to cutting the whole thing out and starting afresh, but no matter which way I turn or what I slash, new brambles appear. Initial writing? Easy. Getting through the Great Swampy Middle? That's playing on Nightmare Mode.

One of my biggest sins is my distractive nature. For example, I was just working on my WIP when I decided to pop over here to see what's going on with everyone. When this usually happens, I can get right back to work, though sometimes I end up getting on Facebook or tumblr and then I forget that I was writing in the first place, and I'll read whatever book currently holds my fancy. I don't get back to writing for an hour or so after that. And by that time, whatever train of thought I had is derailed and I have to work hard to get it running again. The cycle repeats ad infinitum.

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
I know the feeling of having those certain words you just can't get away from, that crop up over and over in my writing. Luckily, I've gotten to where I know what most of them are, which makes it easier to clean them up in the editing process.

I also struggle to finish. I think part of my sin there is I've always thought of myself as a seat-of-the-pants writer, but in way too many cases I'd either have my story wander all over the place with no cohesive plot (until I just gave up because I had no idea where the story was going or how to properly conclude it), or I'd hit a creative block and give up once I got tired of trying to figure out what should happen next. So now I'm trying to switch gears and see if outlining my plot and spending a fair bit of time structuring my story before I sit down and start the actual writing may help me to be more successful in finishing a novel.

I have a history of not explaining things enough.

To give an example, there's a bit in the book I published where one character is urging another to kill a third who's allegedly possessed by the villain. The FMC is completely baffled, and I interrupt the scene a few times with her thinking that this doesn't make any sense. Then she puts things together and shoots the person doing the urging.

I meant for the scene to be a bit sudden, since the FMC herself is baffled at first, but when my father read the book, he mentioned it as one scene where he had no idea what was going on. If I ever write a new edition, I'll explain the FMC's chain of logic, and specify exactly what she realizes in the end.

Trick

Auror
I have a history of not explaining things enough.

I'm with you on this one. I try to be subtle and end up cryptic. I've asked readers what they thought of a certain aspect of the story and they're like, "Oh... I didn't pick up on that." So then I have to balance between writing down to my readers and holding back too much explanation... It's frustrating.

My other sins... hmmm

1. Re-reading while editing instead of writing.
2. Analyzing sentences as I write them, slowing my progress and making my writing somewhat sterile.
3. Constantly coming up with new magic/gadgets and writing them into a scene where they just take up space.
4. Sitting and staring at the page while my mind wanders to things that are not writing

There are many more, these are all I can think of right now...

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It seems like struggling to finish something is cropping up a lot. I had that problem a lot in the past, but I think I've conquered it...I hope.

What are the reasons you find you're not finishing anything? Is it the urge to create something fresher? Is it just not having time to dedicate to it? Is it "This Will Never Be Good Enough" syndrome? I'm curious as I've experienced all of these problems myself.

As far as characters looking at each other a lot, perhaps an easy fix would be to think of another action they could do. I do what's called "snipe highlighting" in my stories. This means I try to find repetitive actions or words and highlight them as I'm doing my first surface edit. I don't do anything with them at first, I only highlight them. Then it's easier for me to decide if I want to keep them or not.

Waz

Scribe
...it's just a sin I drag around like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.
This just got added to my list of favorites similes

I've cut down some sins quite a bit, such as passive voice and unnecessarily specifying the eye direction of a protagonist (he looked, she gazed, etc.). I still make mistakes, but I'm getting better at spotting them.

One sin is due to my current writing genre. My WIP is meant to sound old without being overbearing. Its language is heavily influenced by Beowulf, and sometimes the prose works, and sometimes it doesn't. When I meet with my crit group, I tend to bring sections that feel a bit off, and there's usually a few instances of verbose language.

I do worry that my WIP Book 1 will be criticized for not having a focused plot, at least not until the end. One the one hand, I'm intentionally avoiding a straightforward plot, choosing instead a series-of-adventures flow. The events come together 2/3 in, and the challenges and sub-plots coalesce into something bigger. On the other hand, perhaps it is a sin after all. In my second major rewrite, I'm highlighting the smaller challenges more, giving the reader more to chew on until the threat comes together.

Waz

Scribe
Oh, I thought of two more. Not reading enough, and not getting enough sleep. These are the victims of ridiculous (salaried) overtime, long commute, family time, volunteering, and then writing in my precious spare time.

Ha, I can relate to this, though in my case I have loads of characters who always 'frown' and 'mutter'.

Asinya

Dreamer
Sins...

Well, a few.

1.) I turn everything into lightweight wannabe comedy.

2.) I don't explain enough - I might know what reasoning led up to a certain action, or I might know what someone looks like, or so on - but I fail at describing it, because it's already in MY mind, so for some reason, I forget it's not in the readers mind as well.

3.) Not so much a sin as a failure, but - I can't do story twists to save my life :(