• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Writing Station

Kaellpae

Inkling
Where is it that you do your writing? What machine do you primarily use? Desktop? Laptop? Typewriter (Those still exist, right?)

I ask because I have a desktop, but no desk to put it on. I've been wanting to start writing again, but I have nowhere to write except on notepads and my phone. Neither of those are my best friend when it comes to longer writings. I've been thinking of selling my desktop and getting a laptop. That way when I get a desk I can set the laptop there for my primary writing station and still be able to pack it up. I really like the idea of taking a laptop everywhere in case I get a sudden burst of inspiration.

Anyway.. That's my answer to my question. I have no good place to write, but I want to invest in one. As an added bonus I can see what other writers use for their primary tools of the trade.

Waltershores

Dreamer
I used to write on my desktop, but recently invested in a mid range laptop so I could be more mobile in regards to finding a comfortable quiet space to write. No longer will I be caged to my room!!! It has been the best investment for me in regards to writing and because of it I have written more in the last couple months than I have in about 4 years.

Kaellpae

Inkling
That's what I thought would be nice about a laptop. Take it somewhere quiet, with a view or both and just write. I don't really know what to look for as far as good laptops for writing goes. Bigger or smaller screen? I know I don't want one with too many distractions. Internet connection would be nice for fact checking while you write I'm sure.

Ravana

Istar
Desktop for me, definitely. I can't find a comfortable position to type in unless I have the keyboard at a certain height and distance, which means even if I were using a laptop, I'd still be using it at my desk. Also, I find the full-size keyboard easier to use, and a separate mouse far easier to use than a touchpad.

When unable to sit at my desk, for whatever reason, I revert to an obscure and clearly obsolete technology known as a "pen," in conjunction with this thing called a "notebook." ;) (I actually find typing anywhere else so uncomfortable that, even though I have a computer hooked to my television, I only use it to open files so I can refer to them; any changes get made when I'm back at my desk.)

Kaellpae

Inkling
I use pen and paper for world building. But for the actual story I can't write with a pen fast enough to keep up with my brain,

fcbkid15

Scribe
I type up my stories on my netbook labtop. I can take it anywhere, its fairly small. I highly suggest getting a labtop if your writing. If you don't like sitting at a desk to write and had a place you wrote with pen and paper, bring your labtop there, you don't need internet to typer in word. I use paper and what not when drawing maps of my world, coming up with characters, etc.

Ophiucha

Auror
I moved out of my parents' house a couple of years ago, to go to university, and got a laptop for space and travel reasons (taking it to classes, and just getting it out to Vancouver from New York). I've had an apartment for about a year, but I just don't have room for a desktop computer, so I still only have a laptop. It works well enough - I like having everything close, and I don't like wearing my glasses while looking at a screen, so a monitor that's too far back on a desk is just a pain for me. And I tend to just be on my bed. It's a nice bed - rather new, king size.

I converted to laptop a few years ago and will never go back. To address your problem of not having a desk for desktop I had that same problem before I got my laptop. My solution was to sit in front of my computer screen with my keyboard in my lap. If you find a comfortable position it can work beautifully until you get your laptop.

I actually use my smartphone most of the time. I have it with me all the time, and can just write when the urge takes me. Sure, I am slow, but with dropbox sync, when I get home I can go faster on the same work, but mtof my typing does happen on my phone. Weird, aren't I?

Dante Sawyer

Troubadour
I use a desktop for now, but I'm still in high school and live at home. When my folks finally ship me off to college, I'll switch to a laptop which, I think at least, will be far better.

Dropbox is cool, install it on a bunch of computers or smartphones, it connects to a server, uploads anything you put in special folders and it gets copied to all your other devices.

I work on my story on my phone, save it, and the copy on my laptop gets updated, so it is the same as what is on my phone. I can then work on my laptop, save it, and the one on my phone gets updated.

kismacska

Dropbox is fantastic! I have a desktop, but I use an inexpensive netbook for the bulk of my writing. Dropbox syncs my writing files between the two computers (and my phone, though I can't stand doing any actual writing on my phone).

Kaellpae

Inkling
I might just use dropbox on my phone for brainstorming. I don't think I could write a whole lot on my phone.

Argentum

Troubadour
I moved out recently overseas, so I bought a laptop to take with me. But it is pretty heavy and a bit big so it's a pain to take to cafes and things. I use it more for my desktop. The good thing about Korea is they have all manner of electronics. I may have to look into getting those tiny laptops/notebooks/whatchamahcallits. But for plot idesa and world creation, I use notebooks and loose leaf paper. So, aside from the electronics, my writing is stationed near my ever-present horde of paper and writing utensils.

Kelise

Maester
Desktop (mostly) at home and always at work. Then I also have a laptop and iPad if I'm on the move, or just have the need to go outside or to the library or something instead.

Basically, all different things work for me depending on my mood. Sometimes I'm almost tempted to get an alphasmart so I have utterly no distractions... but iA Writer for the iPad is pretty darn close to that anyhow.