Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Welcome to the Ysgard RP! Thanks much to Black Dragon for setting up the forum. I'll be your neighborhood GM, assisted by the modly Legendary Sidekick and Ravana, and I'll be posting lore and other setup threads over the next week or so. If you have any questions or concerns post 'em here, please don't post anything in the lore threads until they're set up and open for discussion!

I'm aiming to get the story thread rolling by the first of March, although depending on the speed at which characters go up we could do start sooner. If you like, we can have a warmup/introductory thread to keep from getting bored. Lemme know.

Philster401, Tom and Ireth like this.
  2. Tom

Tom Istari

Should we start signing up yet, coming up with characters, etc?

3. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

I think we ought to wait until there's a character sheet template up, personally.

4. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

And I should have that up tonight! Are you coming along on this too, Tom? :D

5. Tom

Tom Istari

You bet I am! Your plot thread is amazing. I love it.

6. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Yayyy! Haha, thanks, it's not terribly original but I think it'll be fun for exactly that reason. ^^

7. Tom

Tom Istari

Would a map of Ysgard be possible? I read the post on the geography, but without a visual aid I'm afraid I can't see it in my mind's eye.

8. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Yes, a map is definitely a priority! Ravana made a draft which, despite being drawn up before a lot of the country info was posted, was pretty accurate to the general shape of things, and influenced some of the geography in turn (the Thaw, the River Valemorn). I could post that version if Ravana agrees? And I do intend to make a hand-drawn/photoshopped one at some point. Er, we'll see how that turns out.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick Staff Moderator

This is coming along quite nicely. I can't wait to "meet" all of the other characters when the in-game RP thread is up. Since my bio was already approved, I posted it (with the recommended changes such as "lightning axe").

10. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Working on my character bio right now. ^^ This is going to be fun, I just know it.

11. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Yaaas, characters! Heh, I really want to write up Farrun but I'm doing the responsible thing and working on the lore entry for magic. Gods are after that, and then creatures...

12. Tom

Tom Istari

I'm working on mine, too. This is the first rp I'll have done here, and I'm looking forward to it.

13. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Question -- what are your thoughts on gods/goddesses in this world? My character is extremely devout, and I'd like to know what my options are so I can properly write it into his personality and backstory.

14. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

A write-up on gods is next up, after magic! Heh, I know that's really essential before people start making characters--don't feel pressured to dash off a profile before all the lore is up, might save some headaches. But also, what sort of background are you thinking about for him? I can certainly incorporate your ideas into this lore as it's developing.

15. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

I'll PM you with what I have so far. ^^

16. Tom

Tom Istari

As will I, if you don't mind. I'm a little unsure as to whether my character is a major canon violation or not. o_O

17. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Thanks, guys! Gryphos, I love Benalitz's profile! I could see him acting as a sort of adviser to the party, or at the least a counterbalance to Farrun's straightforward idealism. Is it good with you if they know each other well prior to the beginning of the rp? Makes sense, based on their positions.

Oh, it might be good for people to know this as characters are getting made--The rp will start in the Hintercrown, the capital of the Western Kingdom. It helps if your character is one of the queen's men and women or has come for the chance to become a dragonrider, but it's not strictly necessary. A seer will be choosing who comes with Farrun, so even a reluctant character might get dragged along.

If you really couldn't see your character being in the Hintercrown, the other option is to have the party meet them as they travel. I'll be doing this for my second character, but I wouldn't recommend doing this for your first/only character, because it can take a looot of IRL time for an rp to get to the next geographical location, heh.

18. Ireth

Ireth Mythic Scribe

Any thoughts on my character yet, Nimue? I never got a response to my PM yesterday.

19. Nimue

Nimue Dark Lord

Yes, I'm sorry, I'm at work right now (wrote the above on the bus) and won't really have the time to sit down and write thorough responses to you and Tom until after work. Rikhard looks excellent overall, I just want to hash some stuff out regarding religion and his parents being freemen.

Ireth likes this.
  20. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick Staff Moderator

I think a warm-up thread might be nice.

When Dragon's Egg started, we had a "campfire" thread because we were all enjoying the RP then were thrust into battle. It was a fun way to have the characters interact. We did that thread as mostly straight dialogue, but I think it could work with the third-person narrative requirement.

By the way, is it 3rd-person present or reported speech (past)?