1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

According to the Rules thread:

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Whoops! I had that question on my mind back when I was PM'ing Nimue about the game. I forgot that it had been answered when she posted the rules earlier.

Still, I have a non-stupid question in that post. Anyone up for a pre-game RP thread as a "warm-up" for our characters?

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

It happens. I posted asking about gods and such after Nimue had already said when she'd get those written up. ^^;

4. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Heheh, no sweat, I actually realized I hadn't said anything about tense and person--although we had discussed in in the suggestions thread, or a pm or something?--and edited the rules to sneak that in. So that wasn't part of the original posting! The only other thing I altered in the rules was adding something about multiple characters. ^^

As far as a starter rp thread goes, I was puzzling over that and how it would work... because the starting situation was going to be that these characters were meeting up for the first time, and would it be restricted to approved characters? And would it be completely canon, and that I wanted to prioritize getting the lore info up before writing a long dramatic intro post, etc. Here's the premise I've come up with, tell me if this works:

The warm-up thread would take place during a festival in the Hintercrown the day before the party is chosen. An anniversary of a deciding battle in the revolution, probably. This way, it might be possible for characters to run into each other without being contrived, though we can always excuse a high frequency of meetings with the machinations of Fate[SUP]tm[/SUP]. The thread would be a good place for people to write about their characters' lives before joining up with the party, write vignettes about their character and NPCs, etc. I'd actually prefer it if it didn't end up with, say, everyone interacting in one place (because we'll have plenty of that in the thread proper) but rather twos and threes of characters meeting up in various places across the city. Does that sound good? A few notes:

- All characters, approved or unapproved, can take part. Even just characters you're thinking about, or want to test out before committing to.

- To make this work, the entire thread won't necessarily be a canon prologue to the events of the story--it's up to the individual players to decided whether they want what they posted to be canon or not.

- So it'll be more fast and loose, and there won't be any GM intervention. Whatever works.

Would people be up for this? If so, I'll post a quick and dirty thread opening tonight, because I'm that amped up.

5. Legendary Sidekick

I am.

Yeah, I'm amped up too and especially looking forward to RP'ing with the reported speech. I've only narrated Addy Lane in first-person, so it'll be nice to get out of my comfort zone a bit. Of course, she'll still have her brogue when she talks.

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Quick question -- what time of year is this supposed to take place in? In Rikhard's profile I have him reaching the southwestern mainland in the fall, and as I have no idea where the Hintercrown is relative to where he came ashore, I have no clue how long it would take him to get there, or what could have happened to him in the interim. We might have to hash that out among ourselves along with the stuff about gods, etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Yeah, woof... Heh, we need a map. I may just make a super sketchy sketch for basic geography. The Hintercrown is sort of in the middle of the Western Kingdom, so a ways from the coast, even without taking into account the giant mountain range between most of the coast and the heart of Ysgard. It could very well take him a long time to get there.

I was thinking that the party would leave in late spring, because, uh, that's the most practical time to start a journey in a possibly very snowy kingdom, so that they'd be safely in the keeps/dwarven cities of the Dragonbone Mountains before the snows set in. ...Does that help?

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Kinda? I'm just concerned as to how Rikhard could survive the trek over/through/around mountains and such with his meager supplies and unwillingness to kill, not to mention his lack of familiarity with the mainland's flora and fauna. He'd definitely need help from someone who could show him what plants are safe to eat, which animals to trap and which ones to leave alone, that sort of thing. Doesn't seem the kind of thing a guy can learn through trial and error, mainly because error all too often equals death.

I apologize if I'm making things needlessly complicated. I just want things to be able to make sense.

9. Nimue

Nimue Auror

It's possible he might have been sort of adopted by a merchant caravan? Or wandered into some elven rangers, who gave him some important pointers (and food)? I agree that it seems like he'd need some help going through all that wilderness, but there would be a lot of different groups of people moving towards the Hintercrown these days.

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

True, true. I like the rangers idea -- I have some characters who could work as Iridheen NPCs if necessary.

I'm still curious as to how the warm-up will ultimately relate to the actual start of the story, in terms of chronology, setting, etc. I think I'd prefer just to jump right into things, so there's less risk of confusing people with details that occur in the warm-up but don't make it to canon, and stuff like that.

11. Legendary Sidekick

About Addy's clothing… I mentioned she keeps a wardrobe that is considered "fashionable" among huntresses. Is there going to be a caravan, or do I need to include "mule" as one of Addy's possessions. I don't want her to cart around oversized luggage wherever she wanders.

(Been there, done that with my overly muscular fighting nun characters in other RPGs.)

12. Nimue

Nimue Auror

The magic lore is up, by the way! Let me know if you have any questions about it--it's rather short and I may have forgotten things...

I think the answer to that is "as much as you want it to"? Chronologically, it'll be the day before the de facto start of the story thread, and will occur in the same city, but not in the same place. (The story thread will probably start in a courtyard of the palace where people are gathered for the choosing of the party, while posts in the warm-up thread can take place anywhere across the city.) I wouldn't sweat the details, we can work things out if they become confusing. This would just be for fun and getting into character as much as for any productive in-character purpose, although it would make introductions easier if some of the characters have met each other already. Buddy system! Well, the more important function would be to give people time to write up characters and have them accepted before the rp starts, because after the beginning of the rp there may be a longish wait until more characters can be introduced--they'll have to be on the road for that to happen.

Is anybody besides LS interested in a warm-up? I'd like to know there'd be some participation before we go gung-ho

Edit: I'm thinking a caravan on the way to the mountains, and once they're in the mountains, probably pack mules. Also, you guys don't really need to detail character possessions to the extent of basic provisions and gear--not the kind of thing where you need to specify a ten-foot coil of rope :p

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

As I said before, I'd prefer to jump right into the deep end, so to speak. My character isn't likely to put himself out there and make friends much, so it wouldn't make sense to have him know anyone else except perhaps by sight. And my second character is meant to come in much later anyway, so that rule/guideline doesn't affect me.

14. Legendary Sidekick

That's good. As long as I can have a lot of outfits without having to explain where she keeps them…

I'm thinking that, since Addison is so fashionable, I'll have her change outfits whenever the in-game day changes. If she ends up being the only girl at the start, and she gets her own sleeping quarters as a result, that narrative description will show her new outfit. If she has a roommate, maybe she'll ask her opinion? (In my two Addison shorts, Addy didn't have a female hunting partner, so I'm not sure how she'll go about that.)

Hmm… I should give her a regular bow for a possession as well then. I only didn't before because I wanted her to take what she can carry on a hunt. In my last short, she had the more elegant hunting bow instead of a dwarven mechanical device. She would use that in a situation in which she needs to kill silently.

EDIT - I edited that into my profile because I can. Of course, if the GM disapproves, I'll edit it out (because I can't). It is a very ordinary bow. If this were a dice game, it would be the crappy d6 bow.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

I'd be good with a kind of warm-up thing, if it's happening.

Also, who exactly is the GM that we need to send our characters' secrets to?

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That would be Nimue, I believe. ^^ This whole thing was her idea, after all.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Yeah, it's all Nimue. I'm just here to play. The only I'd do on a semi-official capacity is edit any posts that non-mods can't edit, which is something I would do by request. (I mean like if a player wants to add a deity into the bio or something like that.)

Ireth likes this.
  18. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

Of course, I went with the assumption that two of the Queen's most prominent agents would certainly be acquainted with each other, though Bendalitz probably wouldn't have spent a huge amount of time around Farrun.

19. Fluffypoodel

Fluffypoodel Inkling

Should we PM our character profiles to Nimue before posting them?

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I don't think it's strictly necessary, but it's probably a good idea.

Fluffypoodel likes this.