1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. DMThaane

DMThaane Sage

My plan for Loke is mostly centred around changing how he views himself, rather than how he relates to others. I mean, the guy is fundamentally broken and has been for a very long time. He can evolve from there, certainly, but that kind of damage can't really be fixed, it's too much a part of who he is. Nimue's right that he'd definitely spring to violence more quickly if something was taken from him. He'd likely ask exactly once and then retrieve the item rather forcefully.

And yeah, Bendalitz was the crazy dancer. Loke got obsessed with food, conscripted a boy, and got into a drunken axe throwing contest with a blacksmith he mistook for a innkeeper. Good times.

2. tbgg

tbgg Sage

My apologies for confusing Loke and Bendalitz. Warrior types tend to take the longest for me to sort out until I get clear on what they're about as people. Plus, I've been struggling with what's the most efficient way to go back and refer to prior action in this online format. It would be nice to have a document I could either search through or print up and flip through for that, and I'm dreading doing that by hand.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Yeah, I'm a planner by nature, but do try to allow for flexibility and letting the characters be themselves. But since this is my first time doing a narrative RP, I'm probably playing to the planning side a little more heavily. Call it how I show nerves.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Is there a lake or river near camp? I was thinking Addy would clean her axe at a nearby body of water (a river/stream with rocks to stand/sit on, if I get to choose), and also catch some fish. I'm thinking spearfishing is her preferred method. I don't feel the need to show the spearfishing bit if the next GM post pushes us to a later time. If the GM post involves the party eating, it could be fish.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Funny thing. Addison's going on about the first kill talks, as if joining a club. I watched Limitless episode 12 last night, and the main character had a similar take on discussing his "first" with an experienced killer.

5. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Oh my lord, I'm so sorry. My weekend turned into a black hole, due to a number of things--chief among them Legends of Grimrock 2. Apparently dungeon-crawling is a very strong motivation for me...

My next post will put Farrun and the bandit on their way to Ilstenford. TBGG, you still looking to introduce Elannor around now? It'd be a good time to do it--let me know if you need anything more in the way of information, camp layout, whatever. I think I established at some point that there was a creek by the camp, or one in the forest at any rate, so that's a-okay.

6. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Might as well throw her in. No point in having her wait since she could be waiting a very long time if she does.

I doubt our fish will be particularly "interesting" for her, so if she is planning on doing anything nefarious, the "interesting" stuff will likely be back at camp. Not to mention the fire would be more likely to attract attention from random wanderers than fishing would.

7. DMThaane

DMThaane Sage

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for this brigand. Out to do a spot of honest briganding and instead he's run through a parade of magical illusions, lightning, dragons, angry Addison, truth magic, and Loke. At least he gets a trial as a consolation prize.

AkamaruGames likes this.
  8. Legendary Sidekick

Not-angry Loke is scarier than angry Addison.

9. Nimue

Nimue Auror

I'm also starting to feel sorry for him, and trying not to give him too much personality to counteract that. P:

10. Legendary Sidekick

So, based on the above posts… if Addison were to, say, stuff a trout with shards of broken glass and then give it to the brigand as a "peace offering," the ensuing hilarity would be viewed by some as sub-heroic. Bordering on villainous, probably.

11. Gryphos

Gryphos Auror

Just be glad Bendalitz isn't also deciding to interrogate him. I feel as though that scenario wouldn't end well.

12. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Farrun would definitely see it that way, for one--he's very much against harming an unarmed captive in any way, or even doing more harm than he needs to in battle, though that stance is something of a luxury of his power--but really, if something is in character, you can do it. It's up to you and how Addy's feeling.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  13. Legendary Sidekick

No, it isn't in character at all. I wasn't serious about that (or that a man choking to death on broken glass passes as "hilarity").

She's making the effort not to lose herself. I don't think it's realistic to say a fishing trip would get her completely over taking a human life, but she meant what she said. Fishing gave her something quiet, familiar and purposeful. Loke is right that her hunting experience helped a lot. I see her as having bawled her eyes out years earlier after seeing her first deer look at her as it slumped over wounded. She's a stranger to war but not to combat, and has seen friends of hers kill men and friends of hers die.

14. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Oh, I was thinking that he'd discover the glass and it would, like, ruin his meal, not that he'd actually eat it and die...? Sort of assumed because yeah, that'd be way too dark for Addison.

15. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

Besides, glass is precious! We can't be wasting it on murdering brigands. There are much cheaper ways to murder brigands.

16. Legendary Sidekick

[​IMG]

Nimue and AkamaruGames like this.
  17. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Haha! That's about level with my ditzy thought processes, apparently. I like the lil' character for fire (I assume)!

18. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

hah, I didnt even notice that. It does say fire in the fire, doesnt it.

19. Legendary Sidekick

Ah... yes, that isn't a cat they're burning. It's clearly the 火 character and NOT a cat.

I will admit that I had to look up the fire character because I forgot how to write it. By "forgot" I mean "never actually learned but sometimes watch my kids practice writing in Chinese."

20. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

For those of you unfamiliar with it, trout tickling is a real thing: Trout tickling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't sound like it should work, but it does actually work. There are actually quite a few techniques out there around the world where people fish bare handed. The techniques vary from country to country, mostly based on what they are trying to catch (trout tickling is mostly a British thing as far as I can tell). In the US people do something called noodling where they essentially shove their hands into a catfish's mouth and pull it out of it's hidey holes. In Japan they just stand in shallow rivers and grab fish as they go by. The more you know :)

Legendary Sidekick likes this.