1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

That's cool. I actually did read up on that and spear-fishing. I know so little about fishing... except that when I cooked my own catch over a fire, it wasn't a "tasteless catch," but it was rather dry. Just as well I didn't add wild mushrooms for flavor. If I did, I'd have decomposed by now.

What's also cool is the magic system. Addison's magic works against beasts, while Chrisania's works against humans. I like the human/beast separation. Phil Overby's "Endless Hunt" game (2012) also had that, though that was with skills since there was no magic system.

2. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

The funny thing is while I love fishing, I actually hate eating fish. Always do catch and release myself. As a kid I mostly would fish with a spool of fishing line (didnt have a pole), using whatever meat I could get as bait (which was usually either conch or hot dogs, though I did occasionally get my hands on some old steak). obviously the fish I caught were fairly small or they would have torn my hands apart, but it was fun for a kid. I have done bare handed fishing a bit, and it isn't as hard as you would think. Just requires the right circumstances.

As for magic, I am sort of making it up as I go along since I have little structure to go on. Sort of basing it on a mix of rpg systems I have played over the years, most notably dungeons and dragons (for class distinctions) as well as shadowrun (for casting limits). I see the separation between beasts and sentience is more Chrisania's personal preference (as she doesnt really like animals all that much and therefor doesnt really empathize with them, which makes making a mental connection hard). Her history as a performer also slants her experience towards dealing with people.

3. Legendary Sidekick

I'm not a big fan of seafood myself, but I used to eat at The Hilton in Hong Kong. (See photo. It's somewhere on the right near all the fishing boats and a bunch of other seafood restaurants that are also inexplicably named after hotels.) I loved their steamed grouper and bamboo mussel. Once I was back in the US, I got back to hating most seafood.

I'm not sure how I'd do in Japan. I tried sashimi once. Once. Eel with bright colored fish eggs... that, and anything in tempura form works for me.

[​IMG]

AkamaruGames likes this.
  4. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Ok, I'm ready to introduce Elannor now. She's feeling decidedly unthiefly at the moment so I think I'll have her just look around the camp. I do have a couple of questions, though.

1. Does some kind of beast pull the waggon?

2. Is the waggon covered or open?

5. Legendary Sidekick

#1) There's a wagon.

#2) I suppose there would be a means of protecting the equipment from harsh weather, so unless Nimue says differently, I think there would be some kind of cover.

About Farrun's "silent alarm" spell:
    I'm sure Farrun will know if a halfling is hiding in it because of his magic, in case that's your idea... but Elannor wouldn't know that. This is just a semi-educated guess, but I think the magic is like a silent alarm. It wouldn't act as a barrier or harm Elannor, and it's safe to assume (like with a silent alarm) she wouldn't notice the magic at all—only Farrun would.

EDIT - By the way, welcome to the game! Looking forward to Eleanor's grand entrance!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Nimue

Nimue Auror

1. Yes, there's a canvas covering. Now that I think about it, it ought to be dyed green--West Kingdom colors, eh?

2. There are two mules pulling the waggon. I think I've been inconsistent about whether they're mules or horses, but the former would be more useful once they reach the mountains. I'll try to catch myself on that

Regarding the spell, I actually don't think Farrun would know if she sneaks in there. It's fine to touch the bags, as they're okay with being handled by stable boys. It would only be tripped if she tries to open a bag, cut the leather, take them too far from camp, or separate one from the others.

Edit: Lol, I can't count. 1 is 2 and 2 is 1, obviously. Other info though: the mules wouldn't currently be harnessed to the waggon, they've been groomed and picketed to graze.

7. Legendary Sidekick

Oh! Farrun wouldn't know?

EDIT - Ah... unless she steals or tampers with something. But a stow away wouldn't get caught (magically). Now I get it.

8. tbgg

tbgg Sage

BTW, LS, did you see my request to change Elannor's vest to red on the profile page? I wanted her
    clothing colors to be green, yellow, and red, and I initially put her in red pants, a green tunic, and yellow vest which she only wears on special occasions. Then I realized that would make her look Christmas-y most of the time, so I intended to change it to yellow pants, green tunic, and red vest, only I forgot to update the vest color. Thanks!

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  9. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Oh, and another question. I was just realizing that Elannor would likely have had a few run-ins with the law, given her tendencies. Obviously guards will be part of that, but who would carry out the sentencing? Would it be a magistrate, a judge, what?

10. Legendary Sidekick

If Eleanor gets caught by the guards, it's my bad. I just changed her vest to bright red. Clothes suddenly changing color attracts attention.

Sorry, Elannor!

11. tbgg

tbgg Sage

No worries, thanks LS, both for the vest fix and the reputation add!

12. Nimue

Nimue Auror

I assumed in that post that Elannor was hidden from the casual glance, without a light source--hope that's what you intended, let me know if it doesn't work. Thought it'd be fun to have Farrun miss her before he heads out. :p

(Oh, and in case it's not clear, the thing that nudged the spell was her picking up Rikhard's (?) spear. Didn't actually set it off, though.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. Legendary Sidekick

I thought it would be highly unlikely Addison would notice, given her state of mind. I also think the horses/carriage are closer to town, making them further from the river, so Addy wouldn't pass by the carriage.

I did realize Addison had no way to gather a stick to prop up her spear tip, and she'd need that to cook multiple fish without the worry they'd slip off. So... beast-speaking magic to get her horse to play fetch.

@tbgg, It's something that Elannor might notice, if you would like something to for her react to. I don't know if a curious halfling would wonder why a horse would look for a stick and trot off toward the others. The horse's direction would likely draw attention to the campfire.

14. tbgg

tbgg Sage

@LS - Elannor's much too tired to notice much of anything at the moment. That girl needs some beauty sleep, BADLY LOL. Were she not so tired, though, Mount Freckle carrying a stick would definitely catch her attention. ;)

@Nimue - Yeah , I put her at the head of the waggon bed for her rest to be less noticeable. I'd tend to assume that the spear was Loke's, though, since his possessions list lists one as a spare and I'd think that Rikhard took his with him, though I didn't actually verify that. Having Farrun not see her was great. I was thinking it would be funny to have her pop out of the wagon maybe the following morning (I figure she'll need to pee by then) and startle the living day lights out of everyone.

Ireth likes this.
  15. Nimue

Nimue Auror

There is another possibility--Thoros is going to come to the campsite while Farrun is in town, after his own bandit-hunt, because he's just a wee bit protective and I want him to meet Chrisania. His nose is pretty good, so if he's in the right place he might smell somebody new in the waggon. How'd Elannor feel getting woken up by a dragon snout?

16. Legendary Sidekick

It's a good thing Elannor is wearing yellow pants.

Nimue and Ireth like this.
  17. Legendary Sidekick

@Ireth, Addison was just giving Rikhard the spear so he could cook fish. She didn't mean, get your own! She and Chrissy caught enough to feed the party (though the total number of fish caught is intentionally vague).

If you want Rik to head off and fish by himself, that's fine. I'm just clarifying in case Addy's intentions were unclear.

—or if my description of the stick made it unclear. I was basically saying Addison whittled skewers used for both cooking and fishing.

Ireth likes this.
  18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Oh, oops! My bad. I'll fix it. ^^

19. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Man we really set that one up, huh xD

Ireth likes this.
  20. tbgg

tbgg Sage

She'll LOVE it - once she has the chance to wake up a little.

@LS - you crack me up!! Elannor never considered that particular possibility as a reason for owning yellow pants. :D