1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Nimue:

What does Thoros smell like, assuming he hasn't just breathed flame? Or would he have breathed flame on his hunting trip? I want to work his smell into a dream Elannor is having before she wakes up.

Tbgg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Haha, I'm not sure what giant lizards smell like! Maybe a little like brimstone, maybe a little musky, maybe like a forge? He wouldn't have breathed flame, at least, but he has got heat in his belly. The sound of his wingbeats or the rush of wind that accompanies his landing might be good things to work into the dream, though.

3. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Curious...

I was about to stealth edit "walk the earth", but earth means dirt. So you can say "walk the earth" even what it's not the planet's name, right?

I never thought about that before. I thought "walk the world" sounded worse, to the point that it's more potentially-immersion-breaking than "walk the earth." Not sure if any of you have an opinion on this or if I'm overthinking a nonissue.

4. tbgg

tbgg Sage

@LS - if you still feel funny about it, I think 'walk the lands' would be a good substitute. 'Walk the Earth' definitely wouldn't work, but 'walk the earth' read okay to me for exactly the reason you mentioned.

For whatever that's worth...

Tbgg

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  5. Nimue

Nimue Auror

I agree - walking the earth is cool, walking the Earth is a strictly Earthling phrase.

6. tbgg

tbgg Sage

@Nimue: I know what the dream is going to be about, and I know where the smell fits into that. Could probably put the wingbeats and/or rushing wind in there, too, though I'll have to think about that one for a bit.

For the scent, would a metallic musky smell with a faint spicy overtone do?

Tbgg

7. Legendary Sidekick

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love the ability to display my thoughts.... at least during that short window between discovering I can and realizing what could go wrong.

AkamaruGames likes this.
  8. Nimue

Nimue Auror

I'm a little confused by this setup--how are they testing the spell out, whose mind are they projecting the memory into? Is Chrisania just viewing these images?

9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

As far as I can tell, Chris is projecting Addy's thoughts for everyone to see.

AkamaruGames likes this.
  10. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Er, if that's the case, I'm not really sure why they'd do that... Unless they want to show this image to the magistrate, rather than planting it in his head?

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

This is just a trial run to see if the spell will work when they try it on the magistrate.

12. Legendary Sidekick

I think Addison would feel there's too much risk in showing this to a magistrate, which is why she asked if it could be subtle. Chrissy indicated it wasn't, and Farrun voiced his disapproval of sneaking in the thoughts. Addison would likely suggest not showing this to the magistrate because the spell isn't subtle.

However, she did get the offer to try the spell now. As I said, there's a short window where I think impulsiveness would get the best of her. If Chrissy said "later," Addison might have thought to try this in the tent instead of in front of the brigand. He probably doesn't want to see an image of his friends getting axed.

Ireth's right that it's a trial.

And... I think Addison would admit it's probably best if the magistrate doesn't see her memory. Even if her thoughts didn't jump to an irrelevant teenage memory, Chrissy would be using magic, it would reveal Addy's magic as well as Addy slitting throats of men lying on their backs. One or both girls might end up with legal issues of their own. (Not that Farrun would allow this anyway.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Ireth likes this.
  13. AkamaruGames

AkamaruGames Sage

The idea was to show the magistrate what happened and possibly identify the other bandits visually instead of giving a description for a sketch artist. It was supposed to be an illusionary projection that anyone nearby could see. If it is too much trouble, then it is easy enough to not do :)

14. Legendary Sidekick

I thought it would be more fun if Addison was unable to effectively control her thoughts (like the man in Chrissy's example who thought of Chrissy)… at least her first time. If Chrissy were to do this again I wouldn't make a running gag of Addison's thoughts jumping to a semi-related memory that she didn't intend to display.

15. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Okay, I hope I've represented it alright, in that post? No points for guessing Farrun's DnD alignment.

And TB, that smell sounds good for Thoros! Out of curiosity, what would Elannor smell like at the moment, besides forest and traveling? Since Thoros will be finding her out by her scent. Wanna give her a piece of gross cheese or something?

16. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Well, I want to say that she's come through the moors, same as you guys did, though a huntsman/ranger type put her onto a different path than the one you guys took (if that's okay), so there's a bit of swamp smell that hasn't quite worn off yet. And trying to get through the moor on foot in a hurry without her staff can be why she's so sleep-deprived. And given the the amount of stuff she collects in her pouches, there are definitely multiple smelly things in there. So really any random hodgepodge of items small enough to fit in a pouch would work. How about...grouse feathers, a rabbit's foot for luck that wasn't cured properly and smells funny (maybe kinda rotten?), and sure, the remnants of some cheese that has gone bad, too.

17. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Sorry you guys, I've been fighting a wicked chest cold all week, so things have been limited to work -> eat -> bed immediately. Feeling quite a bit better today, so I'll aim to have Thoros root out Elannor tonight. Sound good?

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Totally fine. sorry to hear you've been sick, but I'm glad you're feeling better!

19. tbgg

tbgg Sage

Sounds like a plan to me, and glad you are feeling better, Nimue.

20. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Or maybe I'll go to bed at 6pm, wake up feeling much worse, and spend the rest of the weekend slowly melting into the couch. Well, I'm feeling better again and I can breathe through my nose most of the time and it's been a full week so I am very much done with this. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, and I'll be posting tonight.