1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Ysgard RP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Winds of Ysgard' started by Nimue, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Since I don't know if I established it clearly in my post, Rikhard is somewhere in the middle of the crowd. Looks like he might be a good distance from everyone else.

2. Tom

Tom Istar

Einan and Toia are, too. (Hence Troia's irritation.) Perhaps we could have them bump into each other, hey?

Ireth likes this.
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Sure! Just don't expect Rikhard to talk much. He's not comfortable with large crowds or strangers at all.

Tom likes this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I appreciate him noticing Addy–and I'd say his POV of her is pretty much what I was going for. She really does just waltz right up to the most famous dragon-rider in the room, and I don't know if she should know his name… but I thought I'd run with her not even knowing that much.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  5. Legendary Sidekick

Addison probably risked life and limb ambushing Farrun and his procession. She sensed a connection with an animal (a red-maned liger, but no need to get that specific if it doesn't exist in your world) and made a decision not to kill what is considered a prize beast. She wants to understand her connection with animals more, and thinks a dragon-rider would know.

6. Tom

Tom Istar

@Ireth: I went ahead and had Troia literally bump into Rikhard. Hope that's fine with you.

7. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Totally fine! Rikhard just responded. ^^

Tom likes this.
  8. Nimue

Nimue Auror

LS, I think you're responsible for like half my reputation now xD Thanks for the nuking, I guess? Won't be saying that too often.

If LS replies tonight, I intend to get another choosing post in! Everybody's posts are so great! *wiggles with excitement*

9. Legendary Sidekick

Okay, I'll get mine in then.

10. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Okay, I tried, but I'm falling asleep at the keyboard! Shall post tomorrow, sorry about that ^^

11. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

No worries! Sleep is important. I should do that soon, too.

12. Legendary Sidekick

That's fine, Nimue. I'll wait until the old man's had a chance to reply (accepting Addy's arm or not) before Addy starts interacting with other characters. I'm not sure if she's to follow the Seer around as he chooses people, or if she'll be told to stay with X. The old man's reply pretty much dictates who she can interact with.

(Or if the Seer, queen and hands travel as a pack, that open options to anyone once chosen.)

I like that, even though the game doesn't have "turn based" action, there is a natural turn-based procedure where you want interactions to flow. I've only narrated Addison in first-person present, so I'm really enjoying the third-person past. I was afraid it would mean less internal monologue, but that's not the case. If anything, it means her brogue is in small healthy doses. I may need to consider making future shorts in good old-fashioned reported speech (third-person past). Something to think about when I'm not working on a major art project.

13. Legendary Sidekick

I'm enjoying the other character's reactions, and definitely looking forward to Addy interacting with others. Forgive her first impression... she may immediately see some people as predator or prey. Loke Bloodaxe will definitely have such a label. (Ah, but which one? The suspense must be killing you.)

14. Tom

Tom Istar

I'm really enjoying having Rikhard and my characters interact. Ari the sled dog was a spur of the moment addition, but I think he's a good one. I love writing about dogs. :)

For some reason, the interaction between RP characters almost seems more genuine than that between normal story characters. Maybe it's because they're not all from the same mind...they have more variation and character. It's cool to see everyone's spin on events.

15. Legendary Sidekick

I think Addison can't tell that Rikhard and at least one of your characters are to be chosen. But seeing how those are the only PCs left (besides Sneaky McDagger), Addison definitely is heading that way, and she'd notice the dog. Who she's with... she doesn't have a clue. Okay, maybe she has a clue but is only focusing on the dog.

EDIT - Addison will stop using nicknames when she knows real names. She doesn't know Dragonrider is part of Farrun's name, but she decided to stop using Sir Fancypants now that she realized she's under his leadership. Addison won't allow herself to use a silly nickname on someone in position to lead her.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Ireth likes this.
  16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Nimue, did you get my PM about a future character?

17. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Yes! Sorry, I'm lurking all the time, but I'm on my phone and at work, which makes it more difficult to type a reply of decent length. ^^;;

I absolutely think that there's a spark with rping that you don't get from writing your own characters against each other, not without a lot of thought and refinement. You put something in and you get a lot back.

Tom and Ireth like this.
  18. Tom

Tom Istar

Oh my God, Ireth! You almost (unintentionally) made me die laughing!

See, I read your post, and it had this line in it:

And my mind immediately jumped to:

Thank you for that. That made my day. :D

Ireth likes this.
  19. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

That was completely unintended. XDDD Glad I made you laugh though!

Tom likes this.
  20. Tom

Tom Istar

Every time I hear Darth Vader say "As you wish" to the Emperor in Star Wars, I start snort-laughing in a very immature way.

Ireth likes this.