• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Didn't see a thread on this. Sorry if I missed one. What kind of music do you guys listen to? I personally listen to a wide variety of music. I love Indie/ Jam (favorites are Dispatch, State Radio, Dave Matthews, and Barefoot Truth, also like Bon Iver), like rock, especially from the 70's and 80's, like a lot of rap (ready to get bashed for that one), don't mind some newer country (more bashing) and will listen to almost anything that isn't metal or classical (I hate most pop though). What about everybody else?

Oh dear... OK lets see here Cher, MJ, The Culture Club. Basically anything 80's. :D
I'm a sucker for sugary bubble gum pop. I hate rap or anything with cussing, sex or anything that is derogatory towards one gender or group.
BSB rock! Dashboard Confessionals was a great band, but no one can beat Bon Jovi.

I'm also a huge fan of Bollywood tunes :)
Not a huge kollywood person but even thay have managed a few good tracks.
Lollywood sucks IMHO.

Oh and Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Elton John, and some of the old school rockers.

Last edited:
I like a bit of everything tbh, but I always have to have my earphones in to write, if I ever find I'm listening to the music more than concentrating on the writing though I listen to the album 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' by Panic! At the Disco. I've listened to it that many times that it lets me switch off to the what's being shouted down my ear and listen to the voice inside my head.

Lotus, not all rap has terrible lyrics. One of my good friends is in a christian rap group called Diicypulz. They're pretty sick, and sorry everyone- not trying to plug a religion here (just a friend haha). Also, there is a lot of rap that carries good messages despite the lyrics. Granted, there is a lot of rap that has neither nice lyrics or nice messages, and I do listen to some of that too ;)

Sorry, Hans. Guess I did miss one. I'll take myself over there then.

Hans

Sage
Nothing to be sorry about. Just an opportunity for me to throw a link in your general direction.

Ghost

Inkling
I mostly listen to various types of folk music, trip-hop, singer-songwriter, and alternative rock. I used to say I hate hip hop/rap and country, but that can't be true because I like Shing02 and Garth Brooks.

Some of my favorites: Värttinä, Garmarna, Valravn, GÃ¥te, Tenhi, In Gowan Ring, Backworld, Flёur, Niyaz, Mylène Farmer, Emilie Simon, Under Byen, Portishead, Pati Yang, Komeda, Rasputina, Matson Jones, The White Birch, and Carina Round. Recently, I got into The Irrepressibles, Ô Paradis, and Lonely Drifter Karen.

My username on Last.fm is the same as it is here. Does anybody else have an account there?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Talking Heads is my favorite band to listen to while writing. The songs bombard you with words. Surprisingly, that is NOT distracting.

When I lived in Hong Kong (where I wrote most of my first book), the coffee shop played The Beatles' White Album. I think they skipped Back From the U.S.S.R. and Revolution 9. (My iPod also ignores those tracks.) Good music to edit to... or correct students' papers. (The coffee shop was near my school, and in Hong Kong, teachers get looooong breaks. God, how I miss that now!)

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
Just about anything from the 60s onwards, provided the lyrics are good and it's not too mainstream. Punk, new wave, metal, alternative, etc... Celtic deathmetal/folk metal makes me very happy for some reason :p The only genres I can't stand are RnB and pop (although I make an exception for Lady Gage - shoot me.) I only listen to Apocalyptica or instrumental anime OSTs when I'm writing, stuff with lyrics is too distracting.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
When I'm writing I stick to ambient, classical, instrumental electronic and dub-step, and (more specifically) the Gymnopedies by Erik Satie. Otherwise, I'm fairly open. Alternative singer-songwriters, indie-folk, modern rock, classic rock, punk, a bit of metal, 60's pop and rock, a touch of hip hop, a bit of jazz (but usually with a 'pop' element), and much more.

Current bands I'm into are Bon Iver (preparing to see them live next week), Sean Rowe, Neutral Milk Hotel, Jonsi, Mount Kimbie, and Dirty Projectors. I'll always be a fanboy for the Beatles, Elliott Smith, Love, Coheed and Cambria, the Clash, Pixies, and loads more.

As a musician, I couldn't even begin to represent my influences fully.

Oh man... yellow submarine was one of my fav songs.... :) It was my homework tune through JR High. :) Now that I am an old fart when people are doing homework around here we usualy have on something like matchbox 20 or the goo goo dolls. Unless it's my son he wants the classics like Mozart. Hubby likes the do whoop type BG music when he is working on an assignment.
I perfer the 80's, unless I am writing then I hit mix on my play list and get a bit of 80-2000's from around the world.

There was a point in time when I collected music in all types of languages some of my fav's are Italian ballads. UK pop, and India's bollywood.

Last edited:
K we all have one so I am wondering what is the one track that you have that you play that you would be embarassed to have your friends/relaitives etc find out about?

I will go first Hanson (Mmmm bop!) Yeah I do know how lame that is but I love it. That one and Barbie Girl... I have NO idea why. it just is.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Embarrassed by:
#1: Talking Heads unfinished outtake Dancing for Money. I appreciate what the song could've been, but my wife hates this track. Her reaction is to sing Psycho Killer badly, thus proving she can be a famous musician, too, if this is all it takes.

#2: Moving Right Along, depending who's in the car when this track is randomly selected by my iPod.

#0: I would NOT be embarrassed if I could have the Sesame Street revision of REM's Shiny Happy People on my iPod. If there's a way to LEGALLY purchase this as an mp3, I'm embarrassed for not having figured that out.

Depends on who it is. If my parents or you guys were in the car, there is a lot of stuff to be embarrassed by. Most prominent would probably be A B**** is a B**** by N.W.A. (Sorry, it's really funny.) With some people it would probably be a Tim McGraw song or Montgomery Gentry song. Outside of those two groups of people, not much.

Lately, the Inception soundtrack, and the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks. Metallica, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Joe Satriani, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, Dvorak (Symphony from the New World), the Firebird Suite, Smetana's Moldau are my standbys for writing.

Embarrassed by:
#1: Talking Heads unfinished outtake Dancing for Money. I appreciate what the song could've been, but my wife hates this track. Her reaction is to sing Psycho Killer badly, thus proving she can be a famous musician, too, if this is all it takes.

#2: Moving Right Along, depending who's in the car when this track is randomly selected by my iPod.

#0: I would NOT be embarrassed if I could have the Sesame Street revision of REM's Shiny Happy People on my iPod. If there's a way to LEGALLY purchase this as an mp3, I'm embarrassed for not having figured that out.

Have you looked on the companies/showes website? I do think they offer selected songs. Or you can contact PBS and see if they would know. :)

Ghost

Inkling
is that like pandora or spotify?

You can use Last.fm radio, but I mainly use it for scrobbling. It logs the tracks you listen to and makes charts based on that. After that, it recommends new bands, lets you know when artists in your library have new releases, and recommends concerts in your area based on what you listen to. I can track music I listen to locally and on Spotify, which is pretty nifty.