• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where did your username come from?

Title says it all. Why'd you pick the username you did?

Mine's a reference to my WIP, actually. My dragon riders have a nifty little secret hideout called the Aerie hidden high in the mountains from which to strike. In general I'm rather obsessed with dragons.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
"..if ever he had harboured a conscience in his tough narrow breast he had by now dug out and flung away the awkward thing – flung it so far away that were he ever to need it again he could never find it. High-shouldered to a degree little short of malformation, slender and adroit of limb and frame, his eyes close-set and the colour of dried blood, he is climbing the spiral staircase of the soul of Gormenghast, bound for some pinnacle of the itching fancy – some wild, invulnerable eyrie best known to himself; where he can watch the world spread out below him, and shake exultantly his clotted wings."

Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake

I honestly can't recall, though I have used it as a gaming name before here.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it. "A Salty Dog is a cocktail of gin or vodka and grapefruit juice, served in a highball glass with a salted rim. The salt is the only difference between a Salty Dog and a Greyhound, from which it derives its canine moniker." Lol that's not why I chose it though.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I honestly can't recall, though I have used it as a gaming name before here.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it. "A Salty Dog is a cocktail of gin or vodka and grapefruit juice, served in a highball glass with a salted rim. The salt is the only difference between a Salty Dog and a Greyhound, from which it derives its canine moniker." Lol that's not why I chose it though.

Man, I was hoping . . . .

12263.png

The first forum I ever joined was a Jurassic Park forum, and that was as I was entering high school. I lived, and still do, in a conservative area (I'm in California, which is rather liberal, but I'm in one of the most conservative areas in the state), so for a short while I was really 'open' about my belief in evolution. I liked to parade it around because I knew people around me didn't like it. So when I joined the forum, I combined evolution with rex (as it was a Jurassic Park forum), and since then I've stuck with the username.

I still stand for my beliefs, but I'm not so edgy about it anymore.

The first forum I ever joined was a Jurassic Park forum, and that was as I was entering high school. I lived, and still do, in a conservative area (I'm in California, which is rather liberal, but I'm in one of the most conservative areas in the state), so for a short while I was really 'open' about my belief in evolution. I liked to parade it around because I knew people around me didn't like it. So when I joined the forum, I combined evolution with rex (as it was a Jurassic Park forum), and since then I've stuck with the username.

Haha, that's great...

My homeschool community is very conservative, so I know about that...However, in my community parading any belief other than young earth creationism would get me ostracized so I don't bring my beliefs up too much.

Well...Sometimes I can't help it though.

Actually, like...all the time.

cydare

Minstrel
I was making up fantasy names for characters by combining different sounds. "Cydare" didn't quite fit anyone, so I figured I'd take it myself and turn it into a username. Years later I found it in a fantasy name list and felt less original about it.

I'm not actually sure how it's pronounced. I usually say "sigh-dare" though I've heard "see-dah-reh" and a lot of other variations.

My life goals are learning a wizard's mystical secrets and then trapping him in an oak for eternity.

Not really. But sort of.

All I know of that story comes from Once Upon a Time, which probably perverted it beyond recognition, like that show does to everything. Did you know that Peter Pan is Rumpelstiltskin's father...?

Must of been hard living there, lol

MineOwnKing

Maester
Mine Own King = Caliban

This island’s mine, by Sycorax my mother,
Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,
Thou strok’st me and made much of me, wouldst give me
Water with berries in ’t, and teach me how
To name the bigger light, and how the less,
That burn by day and night. And then I loved thee
And showed thee all the qualities o' th' isle,
The fresh springs, brine pits, barren place and fertile.
Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
For I am all the subjects that you have,
Which first was mine own king.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Well, my user name comes from my name. Skip Knox. Pretty clever, huh?

But when I need a tag, I try to go with Barbarossa, which is the name the Italians gave to the German emperor Frederick I. That one gets taken a lot, so second I go with StuporMundi, which means Wonder of the World, which was a moniker given to Fred's grandson, Frederick II.

Lately I've been choosing ElkInHeadlights because my initials are elk. Ellis Lee Knox. Skip is a nickname. Which is a shortened form of Skipper, which is Schiff Herr in German, which means captain.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Jerseydevil

Minstrel
I'm from New Jersey. It is the most mocked state in the US, something that I take pride in. No one wants to be the second most mocked state. Honestly, it just sounded cool at the time.

Peat

Sage
Hmm... my name eh... Well, lets just say... you'll never be able to figure out my actual name.

I do go some places by the name etu (not many any more mind) which stands for Extracting the Urine, which was always going to be the name of my punk band.