• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Recycling Bin

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Do you have a cool idea you know you will never actually write about?
Do you like coming up with stuff that you have no use for in your writing?

Well then, welcome to the recycling bin :D

Share your creative ideas and/or find some inspiration from the ideas of others.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A wizard who has sworn off magic. Something happened, years ago, and he can't bring himself to touch the stuff any more. Naturally, he finds himself in a situation where he must.

Scientists invent a time machine. Send an expedition. It works, but they land in a parallel world where magic operates. The machine no longer works. Stuff happens.

There have been others, but once I committed to Altearth, I pretty much tossed the other ideas. Maybe now I'll dump them here!

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Here are two post-apocalyptic groups I came up with.

The Greenkeepers.

The Greenkeepers believe that the old-world fell because people did not treat the banks with the respect they deserved. According to the Greenkeepers, the banks were living gods who gave magical papers to humanity with which they could create things. But humanity grew greedy and they made too many things with too much magical paper. As punishment the banks took away the paper's magic. The spoiled humans would not have this however and they fought the banks with all their might, nearly destroying themselves in the process. Now a thousand years later, the Greenkeepers collect all old-world money and store them in their temples, where noone can use them for evil purposes. One day they hope that the banks will return and forgive humanity.

The Flock (Yeah, it's cliché, but it sounds nice).
When the event that caused the end occurred, the temple of the Flock was just a quaint abbey. At some point however, this pleasant little place became the haven of a group called the Flock. This group of mutants believe that their hideous mutations were placed upon them by god almighty for the purpose of making them the ultimate boogiemen. The Flock has taken it upon themselves to strengthen humanity through the use of fear. Fear separates the weak from the strong they say, so by scaring the humans badly enough humanity will become stronger as a whole. The Flock survives by looting and pillaging the human towns, taking special care to make eerie noises and do spookie things. Unlike other raiders, the Flock tries not to kill any humans while looting. Dead humans can't become stronger.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
There have been others, but once I committed to Altearth, I pretty much tossed the other ideas. Maybe now I'll dump them here!

Please feel free, that's what this thread is for :)

Someone please, please, please write a boy-disguises-as-girl story. We have enough stories about girls disguising as boys to be warriors or something...SO MANY! But no stories about an oppressive matriarchal society where men are seen as good for nothing except reproducing and a boy has to disguise as a girl to follow his dreams...

Played straight. Not parody or humor.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Also, can someone write a story with a brilliant ten-year-old child prodigy for a villain?

Not sure if he counts as a villain or an anti-hero, but Artemis Fowl is pretty close. I think he's 12 or 13 at the start of the series, and at one point he goes back in time to stop his ten-year-old self from doing something villainous.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Another one I'll likely not write, this one a short story.

The classic locked room mystery. But it takes place in a wizard college and the victim is a wizard. Possible wrinkle: the room is magically locked but not physically locked.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Good to know that the bin has been recycled.

(sorry about that :) )