• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is your work space like?

Lisselle

Minstrel
My work space is my sacred corner, for writing and gaming. The children know not to touch anything there, and yet it's an annexed room in our lounge room so I am not isolated from the family.

Next to my desk is another table with my 11 year old son's Windows 95 PC, and a bookshelf filled with nineteenth century books from my Mother.

Desk.jpg

I'd love to see everyone's spaces. :)

Awesome!

Mine is in a corner of my room at a desk, with a desk chair draped in a fluffy throw blanket. I wouldn't show everyone...it's far too messy!!
I have like four empty water bottles and three empty Gatorade bottles on my desk...

I have a character motivations chart, a world map and a key for my highlighter ink colors (all for the current WIP) on the wall above it. As well as pictures of dragons and forests and fantasy artwork I find inspiring.

My room is a mess. I haven't cleaned it in over a year. O_O

My "work space" is a laptop and a table on wheels. The tabletop just fits the laptop, with enough space on one side for a mouse. I wheel the thing around to wherever I want to be in the house, which is typically either in the "computer room," where a desktop PC and printer are stationed, or in the living room, where I park my butt on the couch and watch TV with the wife and dog while I eek out a few sentences, do some research, read emails, check social media, catch up on writing blogs and other interesting sites online, or do some online gaming to help clear my head. Focused writing happens in the "computer room" with the door closed.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'll take a picture and post it. I have a desk with a PC setup, and a lot of clutter. When I write, I usually turn off the lights and have some headphones in. I try to cut out extraneous distractions. There is a hall light, that when on, drives me nuts. It’s a bare bulb in my periphery. I tend to close the door because of this, but closing the door seems to send out a signal to the rest of the house that they should come find reasons to bug me.

Truth is, I had a great writing place once, but I gave it up so my son could have his own room. I've not really had a writing place since.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Black computer on a white desk with a guinness mug holding my writing/drawing stuff on it.

Usually the big mug is joined by a smaller coffee mug. Almost all the time I have some book laying on the botom-left corner. Right now it's the 5 families by Selwyn Raab.

Insolent Lad

Maester
34146029885_1a05f923cf_b.jpg
[/url]the desk by Stephen Brooke, on Flickr[/IMG]

Okay, here's my space, which I also use for song writing as evidenced by the speakers and all (and graphics work too). I like having the wide screen so I can have notes and manuscript open side-by-side, and the mechanical keyboard for typing.

It looks like linking from Flickr works. I haven't used my account there in like ten years!

Tom

Istar
My writing space is whatever corner I can tuck myself away in, whether at home, at school, or otherwise out and about. At school my favorite spot is the art studio--it's usually quiet and mostly empty there, and the desks are nice. The room is also very large and open, with floor-to-ceiling windows, and I've found that the natural light helps me concentrate better. When I'm at home, however, I like to sit on the floor. For some reason.

When I'm writing I like to have my sketchpad and folder of notes/references handy, as well as my Howe Caverns mug. Normally I listen to music on my headphones, but when I'm in the art studio I like to leave them off and listen to the ambient noise of the people working around me instead. It's peaceful.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Okay, As promised. Here is my writing space when lit.

IMG_5020.JPG

Yes, a lot of clutter.

And when the room is dark, which is how I usually do the writing

IMG_5022.JPG

See, you can ignore a lot of clutter just by turning out the light.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
My work space: two old line office desks arranged to make an 'L' in my bedroom, plus bookshelves packed to overflowing. One live PC, one dead PC, a printer, and clutter about two inches deep in most places. Looks like a bomb went off.

Lisselle

Minstrel
PMMG, You write on a black page with white writing! I have Astigmatism, black and white are so stark my vision flashes in a way which would make LSD jealous!

I have black writing on the palest blue page to minimise contrast.

Love your cleaning tip! :D

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am good at cleaning ;)

Actually, that is black background with Red letters. The picture does not capture the Red very well. Its kind of a melony red. I call it night vision colors (something held over from my army days :)). My Computer is mostly dark with Red and Green as the primary character colors. And some purple to make it a little more interesting. I find I really do not like white. It makes my eyes tired if I look at it too long. So...I struck out and turned it black.

Russ

Istar
So while I am capable of writing just about anywhere on my laptop, my best work gets done in my small home office. But, to be honest I am particular about my writing space. So here is my desk etc:

D9q8q.jpg

I don't do well with clutter. And yup it has a strong Africa theme. My wife grew up there and I have been a few times. We have both been profoundly impacted by that continent and I am always in a better mood when surrounded by some of our African collection.

And my favourite piece of furniture in the world is in my office. This is a book display case that was previously owned by the Spencer family, at Althorp.

D9udd.jpg

I use it to store hardcovers published by friends that I really like, and certain key reference texts that I think are classics or close to them. The book in the display case is a museum quality facsimile of the I 33 Manual of the Royal Armouries in England. I have a few "fechtbuch" facsimiles that I love and rotate through the top spot.

When I can make the time to sit in that chair the words just pour out of me.

C

Chessie

Is that a real zebra skin?!?! Your home office is AWESOME. (LOVE the elephant pic in the background.)

Russ

Istar
Is that a real zebra skin?!?! Your home office is AWESOME. (LOVE the elephant pic in the background.)

Yup it is real. My father-in-law brought it back from Kenya in 1968. The painting is by an artist we met in South Africa. Really nice guy. I like personal stuff like that.

If you like my office, you should see my wife's!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Russ, that is a very nice workspace. it is simply awesome, but I fear far too orderly for me. I'd be afraid I would ruin the Zebra pelt if I was there too much.

Incanus

Auror
I don't have much money, so nothing fancy or exotic. A table behind some folding screens draped with black fabric, a smaller (but taller) table with wheels pushed to one side to form an 'L'. Colored lights and tea lights for minimal illumination when the surrounding lights are all out. Various pictures on the walls including some beautiful landscapes taken by my brother and some cross-hatch sketches by an artist friend. A few quotes and odds and ends hanging up, a skull with one jeweled eye sitting on a short silver pedestal, other strange paraphernalia. Reference books, of course, including my two-volume Oxford English Dictionary, between fleur-de-lis bookends. Stacks of notebooks and other scraps of notes and papers. Dark, dusty, dingy, no windows in sight, just the way I like it.