• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You know you are a writing family when...

Russ

Istar
On your evening walk, you and your wife spend a half hour debating the merits of:

"...who stared at him with crocodile eyes." versus

"...who fixed him with an ice pick stare."

(any thoughts on which you prefer also appreciated)

When "well, I finished my book today" isn't an uncommon thing to hear at the dinner table.

Ice pick stare is much better. Crocodile eyes sounds cliche and doesn't really evoke much for me.

Lisselle

Minstrel
I like ... "...who fixed him with an ice pick stare." It conjured a nasty image, and while crocodiles are driven by a primal search for food, there is no true malice in them. Yet an ice pick is inanimate and channels the intent of the wielder.

My children love literature, and my daughter has started to write Poetry.

I remember when my Mum was alive we would sit around the kitchen table reciting our favourite poems, mine was 'La Belle Dame sans Merci', and Mum's was 'we are seven'. Yet we recited many more. I could never finish 'The Highwayman', it always made me cry.

You and your wife sound like Kindred Spirits. :)

Insolent Lad

Maester
I don't live with any writers but my sister and niece (Jean James and Mary James) are. When we get together we spend a certain amount of time trashing the latest best-sellers (Isn't that James Patterson the worst yet?).

On the other hand, I have dated writers and I suspect my critiques of their efforts contributed to more than one breakup.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Ice pick stare all the way. Crocodile eyes just makes me think of "shedding crocodile tears", which in turn makes me think of a wimpy reptile sitting in a corner in the phetus position. I know that's not really the intended meaning of the phrase, but still.
So for me you have on the one hand a rather menacing image of an icepick and on the other hand a very underwhelming image of an overemotional crocodile.

Both of them sound...either unintentionally funny or kind of melodramatic. :D Wouldn't it be easier to just say 'he/she fixed him/her with a piercing, icy stare'?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Both of them sound...either unintentionally funny or kind of melodramatic. :D Wouldn't it be easier to just say 'he/she fixed him/her with a piercing, icy stare'?

That's not very evocative though. I think it's important to paint clear images for the reader when the situation calls for it. Humans are visual creature and literature usually has no visuals so in my opinion the writer needs to overcompensate sometimes to force the reader to see his/her fictional world as clearly as they do.

^Oh. Sorry.

I have been told that my writing is vivid, but there's no need for me to go overboard more than I already have.

Humans are visual creature and literature usually has no visuals so in my opinion the writer needs to overcompensate sometimes to force the reader to see his/her fictional world as clearly as they do.

I know that, thanks. I've been a visual creature all my life, thinking in pictures or movies.

C

Chessie

I like the second one! But both of those are good. As for family, my abuelo (grandfather) was a published author who wrote history books mostly about the Panama Canal. He also published a nursing memoir that I recall him furiously working on daily after dinner for months back when I was 13-14 years old. Throughout my childhood/upbringing, he was the one who encouraged my writing more than anyone. I like to think he'd be proud of me today. :)

La Volpe

Sage
I know exactly zero writers that I can physically visit/talk to. So that's fun.

Ice pick stare all the way. Crocodile eyes just makes me think of "shedding crocodile tears", which in turn makes me think of a wimpy reptile sitting in a corner in the phetus position. I know that's not really the intended meaning of the phrase, but still.
So for me you have on the one hand a rather menacing image of an icepick and on the other hand a very underwhelming image of an overemotional crocodile.

I got the exact same impression from "crocodile eyes", ha. So ice pick stare for me as well.

I dunno, "piercing, icy stare" has a few problems that "ice pick stare" doesn't (at least for me). Not that it's nearly enough for me to notice if I were to encounter it in a passage, but since we're analysing here, I have these issues with "piercing, icy stare":

First, it uses two separate images ("piercing" and "icy") while "ice pick" uses one image which implies the same characteristics. Also, piercing and icy are general terms, while ice pick is very specific. And I've always found that shorter and more specific images tend to work better.

Second, "piercing" is also sometimes used as a positive description (e.g. "piercing blue eyes" and "eyes that pierce into my soul" and whatnot). While "ice pick" immediately conjures up associations with stabbing in my mind.

And third, "piercing, icy stare" is used enough that I recognise it, while "ice pick stare" is a fresher description that I've never encountered it (at least not that I can remember).

Reactions: Tom

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm not in love with either, but the second is better by itself. As mentioned, crocodile evokes tears. Much would depend on context, of course.