Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Your Hero Smell Like?

What Does Your Hero Smell Like?

I found this site via a link on Lynn Flewelling's Facebook page (author of the Nightrunner series.)

What does your hero smell like?

A bit of random fun.

But I have to say it's helped me to nail down a couple names for a m/m romance novel I'm planning to start soon. The two MCs:

"nutmeg and passion"

"swords and heat"

2. Thanks Nimue, skip.knox thanked for this post
    Portfolio Entries
    Oh my god, Lothar apparently smells like goose down and integrity. The funny thing is that he might smell like integrity, if that was ...a thing you could smell. As for the goose down, maybe I'll have to put him in a puffy jacket for the rest of his scenes. Love it.

4. Thanks FifthView thanked for this post
    Portfolio Entries
    OK. One of my heroes is half elf. She smells like forest and energy. What? Even better, my secondary hero is a gnome. She smells like football and envy.

Both my heroes are still rolling on the floor. Not entirely sure if they're laughing or gagging.
    Skip's Writing Tip of the Day: write.
    Visit Altearth or visit my blog
    Historical Background for Fantasy Writers

6. Thanks FifthView thanked for this post
    I got Volcano and Scotland for my main hero, and Volcano and Moonlight for my main Heroine. Not really what I would imagine, but I see if I can work that into the story somewhere--though I am not sure how Scotland would apply...I don't think there is a Scotland on my map.

Down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind
    Soap and Meaning. O_O She smells...meaningful?

Right now, she definitely smells like NEITHER of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimue View Post
    Oh my god, Lothar apparently smells like goose down and integrity. The funny thing is that he might smell like integrity, if that was ...a thing you could smell. As for the goose down, maybe I'll have to put him in a puffy jacket for the rest of his scenes. Love it.
    I see the various results as being emblematic rather than necessarily literal smells, so integrity works. But some of the literal smells could be worked into the story also if they fit.

I actually fell into a hole when trying to settle on the name I'd use for one of my MCs, a kind of obsessive-compulsive punching of keys as I varied spelling and tried out new names until I found something that somewhat "fit." But this forced me to consider many possibilities. The name I'd settled on beforehand now looks wrong, and I'm glad I worked through my initial qualms with the ideas I'd originally had for the name. So even if random, it was fun to use as a spur to thought.

Edit:

I actually came up with the two above by using a given name + family name combination. If I go with first names only, I get, respectively:

"board rooms and defiance"

"thunderstorms and hunger"

These actually fit the two characters, the first especially because he's from a family of wealthy merchants but is a much younger son who has run wild before the story starts, complicating things for his family.
    Last edited by FifthView; 4-21-17 at 1:40 PM.

Thin Mints and integrity.

Truly the things that come to my mind when I imagine a drug-manufacturing pragmatist.
    Fear The Stilton Swindler, The Emmental Criminal, The Gouda Gangster, The Roquefort Robber, The Parmezan Pirate, The Cheddar Cheat, The Manchego Marauder, The Mozerella Mobster, The Sbrinz Prince, The Edam Imam, The Camembert Camorrista, The Limburger Pilferer.

Cinnamon and the desert, it says...but in that Hito is Polynesian, I suspect he smells more of coconut oil.
    Epics ever favor the winner.

Ha, quite hilarious.

Kovik, my rogue soldier is: Wool and midnight. Not sure about the wool bit, but the midnight is pretty accurate, I guess.

Portfolio Entries
    Tomrin smells like rain and Paris, apparently. If he existed in our world I suppose I could see him as a cafe-lurking Parisian who watches the rain while moodily swirling his mug of coffee.

For fun I decided to type in my secondary protagonists too. Miekkhal's scent is linen and fate (what does fate smell like?), and Aeyu's is...pepperoni and greed?? Okay...?
    Somnio ergo sum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast