• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Questions about the site.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So some questions for the more veteran members:

I guess first, what do you find most useful about MS?

I was thinking this might be a peer review site, but I actually dont see a lot of peer review. It seems to be more of a brainstorming and stay connected to the writing community site, is that more of the purpose?

What do we think about posting work on the site? In the publishing world, having stuff posted elsewhere can be show stopper. Seems we are covered as long as it is on a peer review site and the stories are not open to the public. But I am not sure if MS has an area for Peer review of stories. Seems the showcase is for that, but that is also just a part of the forum?

Do you post your stories here hoping to get feedback on them? or do you have alternate purposes?

What, if anything, would you like to see more of on MS?

I see there are some forum games along the lines of RPG's. Would any object if I threw up a Forum Game of a different type?

Meh, I suppose that is it. Interest to hear what some of you will say.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Not sure what you mean by peer review. That's exactly what the showcase is, because we here are all peers. But it's mainly for fairly short excerpts, given the message length constraint. You can post a full length work in your portfolio and invite people to look at it there, but the portfolio is not really designed for critique feedback.

At the same time, quite a number of people here have found beta readers within the community.

I think the benefit of this community is just that, community. I have a support network that gets it. This is the benefit of MS. I have made some great connections here that I would be sad to leave behind. Glutton, Skip, Russ, Mythopoet, and others they are are all pretty sweet, even if one of them (*cough Glutton cough*) uses the word bae just to screw with me.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
...what do you find most useful about MS?
Originally, oh so many years ago when I joined, I learned a lot by the simple act of talking about writing & by offering feedback on excerpts members placed in the Showcase. If you're going to give detailed feedback, you have to understand why something did, or didn't, work for you as a reader. Further, you should explain that. The same holds true for in-depth craft conversation.

I was thinking this might be a peer review site, but I actually dont see a lot of peer review. It seems to be more of a brainstorming and stay connected to the writing community site, is that more of the purpose?
So, it's not a peer review sight, but there's plenty of opportunity for peer review if you seek it out. The Showcase was already mentioned, and there's been thousands of critiques performed on that forum. Also, there are challenges where you can compete against other members. ThinkerX runs a monthly challenge currently that seems to have a good following. Lastly, there are forum locations designed to help you form your own critique circles. I've been in a few over the years, but the one I'm in now, I'm keeping...well, let's just say they'll have to burn me out.

What do we think about posting work on the site?
Post away. A bit of advice though...Tell the membership what you're looking for in a review. Or, if you want to leave it open for general feedback, grow a thick skin.
I've seen many members get all twisted up over Showcase reviews. That's why I stopped giving them. In my opinion, there's a bit too much of people looking for praise while lashing back at any honest criticism. It's been a while since I've been active there though. It might've changed.
Usually, I think you're just better off forming a group and growing those relationships with people who understand your vision and goals.

In the publishing world, having stuff posted elsewhere can be show stopper. Seems we are covered as long as it is on a peer review site and the stories are not open to the public. But I am not sure if MS has an area for Peer review of stories. Seems the showcase is for that, but that is also just a part of the forum?
Yes, the Showcase mentioned before is the only true place we have to post for general feedback. Everything else is either more focused (like challenges), or privately run behind the scenes.

Do you post your stories here hoping to get feedback on them? or do you have alternate purposes?
I've done a few challenges. Not many. I have 2 crit groups I work with. One is a small group I met through this community. Another is a live group. When the book is ready to go out, I'll ask the membership for last run beta readers. No more motives other than that.

What, if anything, would you like to see more of on MS?
Steerpike. I miss that feline.

I see there are some forum games along the lines of RPG's. Would any object if I threw up a Forum Game of a different type?
I would direct you to seek a moderator (not me) to present your RPG design to the Mod Team. We would then convene and approve, suggest alterations, or deny your request.
The only reason I say, "not me" is because I don't play in the RPG forums like many of the other moderators do. They would be far more qualified to present your request in the best light.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Thanks all for your replies.

Oh Yes, I also forgot to ask about challenges. I was wondering if the site had some form of monthly prompt. And if so, was it member driven, or did the site manage it.

So...by peer review, I mean the focus of the site is Peer review. You/Me/they post stories and the community is engaged in trying to give prompt and useful feedback on the works posted. I've been on these sites before, and they mostly do their job. There is good and bad in everything, so in a more peer review focused site, there is a bit or pressure to read and comment on stories, and not let them drift by with zero comments. Its great if the community is making an effort to realize the vision, but not great if doing so is a chore and no one really wants to do it. Having been on those sites, some sites let this happen by members just trying to be helpful, others have a Karma like system in place to encourage it. I would say there is a lot to be learned reviewing other people's stuff, but the steam does go out of the engine, cause it takes a lot of energy, and the works posted tend to be complete, and thereby lengthy.

Seems the focus of this site is not really peer review, but some of it does take place.

I would still ask, is the showcase sufficiently hidden from the public that I can say in good faith my stuff is not posted on the internet when submitting to publishers? Do you have confidence in it?

I would have no interest in doing and RPG. A forum game is something that works only in a forum. Such as, the post above sets up the next post, and next post answers the one above and then it sets up of the next. Probably easier to show than explain.

An example might be an either/or game.

First poster asks: Dragon or Bunny?

Second Poster: Dragon, cause bunnies...well, look at the bones.

Dragon's Gold, or Dragon Mount?

Third poster: Dragon's Gold, Dragons would never let anyone ride on them.

Gold or Jewels?

...and on and on it goes, until people get tired of it or something else ends it.

Why have forum games? Well, they help build the community, and help people to get to know one another. Why not have a forum game? Well, they are not entirely serious, and some don't want the non-serious stuff.

Anyway, I've seen them in some places, not in others. Its a community thing, so if the community is not for it, it would pan.

And yes, let have more Steerpike please.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks all for your replies.

Oh Yes, I also forgot to ask about challenges. I was wondering if the site had some form of monthly prompt. And if so, was it member driven, or did the site manage it.

So...by peer review, I mean the focus of the site is Peer review. You/Me/they post stories and the community is engaged in trying to give prompt and useful feedback on the works posted. I've been on these sites before, and they mostly do their job. There is good and bad in everything, so in a more peer review focused site, there is a bit or pressure to read and comment on stories, and not let them drift by with zero comments. Its great if the community is making an effort to realize the vision, but not great if doing so is a chore and no one really wants to do it. Having been on those sites, some sites let this happen by members just trying to be helpful, others have a Karma like system in place to encourage it. I would say there is a lot to be learned reviewing other people's stuff, but the steam does go out of the engine, cause it takes a lot of energy, and the works posted tend to be complete, and thereby lengthy.

Seems the focus of this site is not really peer review, but some of it does take place.

I would still ask, is the showcase sufficiently hidden from the public that I can say in good faith my stuff is not posted on the internet when submitting to publishers? Do you have confidence in it?

Yes, anything poted in the Showcase is invisible to the rest of the internet, and for all intents and purposes remains unpublished.

I would have no interest in doing and RPG. A forum game is something that works only in a forum. Such as, the post above sets up the next post, and next post answers the one above and then it sets up of the next. Probably easier to show than explain.

An example might be an either/or game.

First poster asks: Dragon or Bunny?

Second Poster: Dragon, cause bunnies...well, look at the bones.

Dragon's Gold, or Dragon Mount?

Third poster: Dragon's Gold, Dragons would never let anyone ride on them.

Gold or Jewels?

...and on and on it goes, until people get tired of it or something else ends it.

Why have forum games? Well, they help build the community, and help people to get to know one another. Why not have a forum game? Well, they are not entirely serious, and some don't want the non-serious stuff.

We have those too, or at least we used to. Not sure if any of them are active anymore.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
...I also forgot to ask about challenges. I was wondering if the site had some form of monthly prompt. And if so, was it member driven, or did the site manage it.
There is almost always some form of a monthly writing prompt challenge. They are typically member driven.

However, the member that manages the challenge should make a request to the moderation team before posting their challenge. The main reason is for scheduling. Posting two or three new challenges in the same week typically lessens turnout in each, respectively. The second reason is to ensure the challenges are distinct.