• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's the story behind your avatar?

Reaver

Staff
I'm sure that there's a similar thread that was posted a long time ago, but I'm interested in the story behind yours. Why is it significant to you? Have you had it since you joined, or are you like me and change it when the mood strikes?

I'd like to tell you about mine, but instead, I wonder if you can tell me who it is in my avatar pic and where it's from without using Google. Of course, I won't know whether or not you used Google to answer my question so therefore:

The honor system is in full effect here.

Here's the avatar pic in all it's fantastical glory:

venger-.jpg

Good luck and thanks for checking out this thread!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The bird is actually something I had commissioned with a fiverr giftcard I got one year as a Christmas present from my wife.

The character's story is that a wizard merged with a phoenix, outlived the life of his planet, and used the magical power of the dying sun to break into a new dimension and establish one of the settings I use.

I made the background myself. I overlayed about a dozen pictures of space ontop of each other, and then used a simple color gradient to contrast with the colors in the phoenix. To be honest, the resulting background, before it was resized to fit the avatar, is something I find memorizing and beautiful.

Phoenix_Background.jpg

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Would it ruin the fun if I named the Avi?

I chose this avi years ago after much consideration. I wanted to something that was good, wise, noble, and strong. I selected the gold dragon based on the Dungeons and Dragon's concept of a gold dragon (Which may have changed since I last played, so who knows today). I liked this Avi in particular because of the misdirection of its head and its somewhat vacant expression. To me, it looks like a dragon taking flight, but at the last instant something turned its head. No doubt he has seen a fairy ;) There is a lot of story behind much of it, I placed the moon in it on my own, and added the purple/gold sky somewhere along the way. The moon represents a goddess, which is another type of symbolism important to me.

I've used this avi for years, and am unlikely to change it. But I do sometimes tell a nifty story about a koi fish, a waterfall, and a mountain goddess, and the dragon when it seems appropriate.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Mine is the story of me... with a straw cowboy hat on. It was either that or me with a chicken on my shoulder, I'm an impoverished pirate, can't afford a parrot.

My current avatar (third since joining MS?) is a POV character I created for a story set in the world of my WIP, using Daz Studio. The actual full size render is missing some pixels, but the reduced avatar image conveniently hides those.

Insolent Lad

Maester
Mine was a vector graphic I 'drew' for possible use on a cover and never used. So it ended up here instead—mostly because the other pics I considered didn't look like much of anything shrunk to that size.

Mine is, of course, Toothless the dragon from How To Train Your Dragon. There's a scene in the movie where Toothless observes Hiccup drawing in the dirt with a stick, and so he fells a small tree and mimics him. The pic is from that scene. I felt it was appropriate for a writer dragon to have an avatar of an awkward dragon adorably misusing a writing utensil. Lol.

Butterfly

Auror
I'm sure that there's a similar thread that was posted a long time ago, but I'm interested in the story behind yours. Why is it significant to you? Have you had it since you joined, or are you like me and change it when the mood strikes?

I'd like to tell you about mine, but instead, I wonder if you can tell me who it is in my avatar pic and where it's from without using Google. Of course, I won't know whether or not you used Google to answer my question so therefore:

The honor system is in full effect here.

Here's the avatar pic in all it's fantastical glory:

venger-.jpg

Good luck and thanks for checking out this thread!

Mine's a magical butterfly. Goes with the name.

And your's in Venger from the Dungeons and Dragon cartoon. (and I had to argue with my brother to watch it. It was either D&D or Transformers on the other channel).

Reaver

Staff
But mine is movie skeletor from the live action Heman movie. This version of skeletor is the best skeletor.

I agree. I saw that movie as a kid and while even then I thought it was pretty lame, Frank Langella nailed that part. However I think this guy disagrees:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisselle

Minstrel
Reaver, I thought your avatar was from he-man?

Mine is a water colour I painted a couple of years ago. I have a penchant for painting naked Fairies; male, female, with disabilities, skinny, overweight, etc. Very inclusive, ha. :)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did not remember the characters name, but I thought it came from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. I never liked Transformers much, but I really did not watch the D&D cartoon either. I forget what its competition was at the time. Probably Scooby doo, and Hong Kong Fuey.

Love your avi, Lissele, even better if you painted it yourself.