• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Musical Madness

So, I have the weirdest habit, and I want to know if any other writers go through this. I sometimes hear a song, and it catches some part of my imagination, and until I put that scene down to paper (digitally or otherwise) the song never leaves. I can listen to it for days on end without losing interest, and it drives people around me insane if I am not using headphones. Anyone else go through that?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Requiem Tales!

Yeah, you are not alone. Something very similar happens to me with music, even though it's a little different to what you have described. Sometimes, I listen to a new song somewhere and I start liking it and then all of a sudden... Sparks!

The song ignites something in my imagination, and I get a new story or else a great scene for my story in progress.

When this happens, I can listen to that song over and over and over again... Even after having written the scenes in question, I still enjoy the music like crazy and many times it keeps inspiring me for other scenes and other stories.

Some songs develop such a strong connection to a story in particular, that it creates a permanent connection in my mind.

There are other moments when this happens without music, but when it comes from a song it feels particularly good. It's like having a movie inside of my mind, and in case movies were made based on my stories I would insist very much for the production team to include the important songs as part of the soundtrack.

What are some of your favorite songs associated to one of your stories?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
This one has haunted me for decades. It haunts me because the images are strong but disjointed, and I've never been able to make them go anywhere.
The song is Harp Tree Lament. The lyrics are by Robert Hunter.

No where to come from
No place to retire
No shelter nowhere
Except in the fire

The birds in the harp tree
Can finish their song
Then rest in its branches
Which is where they belong

But where can a man go
That's sweet to his soul
When his time is not ready
But he's still turning old

Here's a dream for the piper
And a tune for his lady
Outside the thin wall
The waves are still raging

Here's one for the harp tree
And one for his song
One for the morning
When the night was too long

Here's one for the candle
That lights you to bed
And one for the sword
That hangs over your head

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Skip!

I just listened to Harp Tree Lament several times. The song is peaceful and quite beautiful, very pleasant indeed even though it's not exactly what I like personally. I also searched for the complete lyrics, and it's very artistic and charming! Also, it's one of those haunting songs that stick to you and you can hear them easily in your mind.

For my current story in progress Alice into Darkness, several songs are very important.

One of them is Days of Yore, which was very inspirational and powerful for me during the first chapters of the story. Another one is Another Time, and another song called Wenn Die Engel Fallen is excellent for what is going to be one of the saddest moments in the entire story.

However, the song that best connects with my Alice story in general is Voices in my Head. All of them by the fantastic German band Lyriel!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hey Steerpike, that's very nice.

What songs did they perform? I have never been to a concert or anything like that, and most likely it would be bad for me anyway because of my hearing damage. It would be great to watch Leaves' Eyes live though, I love them.

Several songs by Leaves' Eyes were very important for me when I was working on my Joan of England trilogy, some years ago. The band is actually mentioned in the story: Leaves' Eyes plays near Edinburgh Castle during the Z Games, minutes before Lizzie Nightingale (one of Joan's friends) gets to participate in a dangerous skating competition.

I am not sure whether that part would have to be changed or not in case of publication, but I love the scene and it was a lot of fun to write it =)

They played New Found Land.

For me, it can almost any song that catches my fancy, but lately its been Ordinary World by Duran Duran (Evil Within II Trailer Remix), which was hilarious to me because I was dying to find a way to actually write that scene, and then I heard the song, and it was all done for me. Another one is an instrumental version of Metallica's Unforgiven, that one always gets me.