• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Serious existential question.

Annoyingkid

Banned
Why should I care about my life or aspire to be anything in the real world when I can be anything I want to in fantasy? It isn't real, but good fantasy feels real. What's so great about this world and this existence compared to the realities of the imagination? I want to leave humanity behind.

Noxius

Dreamer
Because this world can be just as interesting as any fantasy world.
Do you think the random hobbit nr. 76 who just lives like a normal peasant has an interesting life? No, even though Tolkiens world has so many interesting and awesome places, he never gets to see any of it.
Same with our world. If you just live a genereic side character, you will only get the life of a genereic side character. For some people, this is enough, and that's completly fine. If that isn't enough, you have to get out of your way to change it. If you choose to live like a protagonist and travel, gather experience, meet new people and get over obstacles, this world can be as beautiful and interesting and magical as any fantasy world.

Russ

Istar
Why should I care about my life or aspire to be anything in the real world when I can be anything I want to in fantasy? It isn't real, but good fantasy feels real. What's so great about this world and this existence compared to the realities of the imagination? I want to leave humanity behind.

The question really requires a lengthy answer.

There is actually a lot of scientific literature on the subject, and many mental health professionals opine on it. They are far more qualified than this group to opine on your question.

Well, one reason is that your experiences in the real world deepen and inform your experiences in fantasy worlds.

(And vice versa.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The real world is greater because it contains you, and thereby your fantasy world, and those of everyone else. Without first the real world, there are no imaginary other worlds.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello!

I am not sure exactly how much this existential crisis is affecting you, but the way that you described it is a little alarming. In case that you are under loads of angst and pain everyday and you are considering some drastic action, then I agree with Russ that you need medical assistance instead of getting answers in a Forum.

If that's not the case, then hopefully our answers can help you to feel better.

You are not alone in this, I have similar thoughts all the time. In fact, sometimes I think that somehow traveling to Mars and staying to live there would be great! My life is a broken mess, and I endure various psychological and emotional problems. What helps me is to enjoy as much as possible the small pleasures of life, and to continue with my Storytelling.

Fantasy and imagination are beautiful, but Fantasy is not about forgetting life or about thinking that life is miserable. Fantasy is a part of life too, a different way of seeing and experiencing the world. The worlds inside of our minds should be a source of happiness and satisfaction, part of our experience as we walk on this Earth.

Seek something that you are really passionate about, and dedicate your efforts to it.

The world is a terrible place in some ways, but it's very beautiful and great in others. I recommend that you read The Neverending Story by the German author Michael Ende. All of the messages and meaning that are contained in that book could help you a lot to feel better.

I've often been accused of living in a fantasy world. It is easier and more fun to live in a fantasy world than to face some of life's realities. But there are good things to be had in real life, if one can find them. I also realize that I have to participate in real life if I want to continue enjoying my fantasy worlds.

There have been times when I felt there was no reason to live. This is different than wanting to spend a lot of time in fantasy worlds. When I felt there was no reason to live, even fantasy worlds held no thrill for me. To any persons who find themselves in a similar position, I recommend seeking help from close friends, family, and professionals. It was impossible for me to get out of my depression by myself.