• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do kids still say "oh snap"?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Because one of my secondary characters just said it in response to something, and I'm not sure if a current middle-grader will have any idea what it means because I don't know if that expression is still used.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Some of my British colleagues still use it, but their kids usually aren't old enough to be in middle grade yet.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Some of my British colleagues still use it, but their kids usually aren't old enough to be in middle grade yet.

Thanks Svrtnsse. Now that my own kids are older I really don't have a good grasp on the current lingo :)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I hope not, best answer I can give. My daughter who'd be of the right age, speaks Chinese better than English... so she's no help, LOL. But, I honestly haven't heard that in ages around young people.

Search YouTube for "Spongebob Squarepants Oh Snap! Road Trip! - Cartoon Movie Game for Kids"

There's also this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Search YouTube for "Spongebob Squarepants Oh Snap! Road Trip! - Cartoon Movie Game for Kids"

There's also this:

Cool. That's from 2017, so it must still be in use to some extent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I hope not, best answer I can give. My daughter who'd be of the right age, speaks Chinese better than English... so she's no help, LOL. But, I honestly haven't heard that in ages around young people.

Me either, but I'm not around kids that age much so I'm out of the loop on a lot of this.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've never heard it... What is the context for its use?

I've heard it said when someone comes up with a good insult to someone else, like instead of "burn" a kid might say "oh, snap!" I've also heard kids say it when they mess something up. But this was all a number of years of ago.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I also found this via search "Oh snap"

It's mentioned there that the phrase in some Trolls movie, but I only vaguely know it's a cartoon movie?

I haven't seen the Trolls movie. Yeah, it's a cartoon, that's about as much as I know. I saw Troll Hunters (also a cartoon), which is pretty good.

I think this pretty much solidifies that kids still use it, so I'll leave the dialogue in place. Thank you!

Because one of my secondary characters just said it in response to something, and I'm not sure if a current middle-grader will have any idea what it means because I don't know if that expression is still used.

Gen Z-er here to help, lol.

Some of my friends said this back when we were that age or thereabouts. I mean, when we were like 13. I'm 17 now, so...my friends have since graduated into more mature language lol.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Nope. I'm 33 and I picked it up from my middle schoolers ten years ago. I still say it. They think I'm crazy. I just asked my husband who is a middle school principal and he says he hasn't heard it in years. I'm the only nerd who still says it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
In general, if you are asking if the kids are saying it, they aren't. And you're old.

Firefly

Troubadour
Not quite young enough to be a middle-grader (I'm sixteen) but I'm fairly sure I've used this before and I KNOW my younger brother says it, all the time, so it wouldn't stand out or seem old fashioned to me if I read it in a book. That might be a product of where I'm from, though, this is the kind of thing that seems like its probably fairly dependent on region.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks for the feedback, all. I've decided I like it. If it's outdated, maybe my character can be retro :)