• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ulysses v. Scrivener

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm sure most people are familiar with Scrivener. Ulysses seems to be less well known. There is a bit about it here:

Writing With Ulysses ? Pete Denison

I have both, and when I first got Ulysses I was still using Scrivener most of the time. But I used Ulysses at work, and slowly, as I got to know the software, my fiction writing moved over to it. It is clean, efficient, and works nicely on both my MacBook and iPad. I realized the other day that I haven't opened my Scrivener app in a few months now.

Any of you have experience with both of these? Which do you prefer?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've never heard of it. Probably because it only works with Apple computers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I finally switched over to Mac/Linux from Windows/Linux about a year ago, and now wonder what took me so long. But that's another discussion :)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
There's just no way I see leaving Scrivener at this point. I tinker with different stuff like Ulysses, but nope. And I avoid subscriptions everywhere I'm able. Scrivener rules the roost far as I'm concerned, but sadly my editor likes Word. Blah.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I usually avoid subscriptions. I don't mind it for Ulysses, since it supports the devs improving it and keeping it up to date. Plus I get a discount since I already own it (or I could just use the current version going forward and not subscribe).