• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can Google Docs Handle Novels Now?

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
Ok, so I've always wanted to write on Google Docs because I love writing on my Asus C100 (best machine ever), but I couldn't because it was so painfully slow to write novel-length on there and my brain is not advanced enough to split my story up into multiple files.

It looks like Google just did a big docs upgrade. There was nothing specific about handling longer docs in the any of the updates I've seen (it was more for collaboration and business uses), but I poked around a bit and it looks like it got better.

Has it?

If you write on Google Docs regularly, have you noticed a difference in response time on longer docs?

Saigonnus

Auror
Nah. I don't use it for my writing. I just keep a backup of my files on an SD card or flash drive.

I sometimes use it for work, but the docs are never that long for me to tell the difference one way or another

Queshire

Auror
I use Google Docs, but I've never managed to actually write anything that was longer than ten pages. Even that was a bit annoying to load. I could see it working well enough if you split it up by scene, but...

Gryphos

Auror
I use Google Docs for pretty much everything, but I split novels into separate documents for each chapter, which works fine for me. But for me at least, huge documents like entire novels are somewhat annoying to load.