• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Zina's Lights Cover

C

Chessie

All right fantasy friends, what do you guys think? I kind of want the font a bit darker but every time I do that it looks off. I've literally spent a month on this cover (someday the process will hopefully go faster). Thoughts? Comments?

P.S.
Now you all know my secret pen name haha

Zina_zpsflowndxa.jpg

Hi,

Had a play with it on Photoscape. I used the velvia filter, increased the colour contrast and deepened it which made the blue pop a lot more and contrasted the yellow text nicely. I suggest playing with it yourself. I'm trying to upload a copy to my facebook page so I can link the URL but as often happens Facebook isn't cooperating. But you still need to do some other things. First I think the text should be metallic gold not a flat almost mustard yellow. You need to raise the Bandits of etc so that it fits just under the title and not the author - and also you need to say whether it's book one, two or three etc in the series. If you do it only as an ebook the cover is fine, but if you do a CreateSpace paperback, you'll need to allow for bleed and move the word lights to the left. Otherwise the "s" will end up in the bleed zone and it'll be rejected. Likewise the Bandits line is also in the bleed zone which is another reason to raise it up.

If Facebook ever cooperates again I'll post a copy of what I got - but if not you can probably do it yourself. Photoscape is a free download and one of the best photo edit programmes out there in my view.

Cheers, Greg.

C

Chessie

Thank you, Psych. I appreciate the feedback. Totally forgot to add in the book # part. More redbull. :)

Laurence

Inkling
Lovely photograph, where'd it come from?

I agree with Psychotick in that I would go for a foil finish, plus his points on bleed.

I'm not a fan of the font used at the bottom; each letter is uncomfortably wide, like the infamous Papyrus font. I would also double the distance this text is from the bottom.

C

Chessie

Hi, Laurence. Thanks for the tips. I agree that the font is too spaced out at the bottom. I'd like more of a Russian feel to the font (if such a thing exists), but can't seem to find font anywhere that matches what I feel about the setting. Still have an entire month left to play with it. And the pic came from depositphotos. :)

Hello Chesterama,
Really like the cover art. From my perspective the quality of the text doesn't quite seem to match the quality of the image.

But perhaps it being marginally darker might change that.

Or possibly it could be a case of introducing a 1point width border around the letters, possibly of a very similar colour, just to lift or push back the lettering. :)