• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Wolves of War

Hi Guys,

Second attempt at this. Have been playing around with covers for a new book I'm half way through writing - early I know - and liked this. Haven't bought the photo yet but will if reaction is good. So what do you think? Does it grab your attention? Would it make you pick up the book and look further? (Ignore the blurb by the way - it's still a work in progress.)

13230244_1014897898597425_1385889208112040069_n.jpg

Cheers, Greg.

Did you crop the photo at any point? If so, can you post the original one? I think the title needs to be bigger and in a different spot, but the because of the photo, I'm not sure where to put it. If the original photo has space above the two wolf heads, I would move it there. You might be able to change the size and dimensions so that the open-mouthed wolf's face is still fully visible with the extra space added to the top. If you have the ability to change the hues and lighting of the photo, I would make the white look darker and highlight the red. It might make the golden font pop out more.

I think the photo is a good choice, and could be great.

risu

Troubadour
The picture is engaging, but the title is hard to read, as it really blends in with the fur. I think it's the combination of color and texture. For the back cover, have you considered a transparent black overlay for the image? Maybe black, but transparent enough to still see the wolf eye. I can't read any of the red text of the blurb with it on the brown and gold backdrop.

C

Chessie

It looks pretty awesome to me. I can't read the synopsis though...but that's not important for the e-book. :D

Foah

Troubadour
I've been studying quite a bit of design at Uni the past couple of years (Architecture), and if I were to give you one good tip it would be to check out poster design/tutorials/ideas. A cover works much like a poster, being the UMPH that makes you look those extra 5-30 seconds on it to learn what the poster's about. Heck, even commercial posters you see at bus stops work wonders as material for study and research. The art of conveying something great to the reader in two blinks of an eye while they're browsing through a truck load of books online.

A few links for you to see if this might be anything for you.
10 Tips for Perfect Poster Design | Design Shack
10 Poster Design Tips: Poster Design for Beginners (Point 6: Rule of Five--This one applies heavily on book covers. Gotta make em look good thumbnail sized and printed.)

Hi Guys,

Had a little trouble using either of two previous photos for the cover for wolves - each time I tracked the site down and through it the photographer, they could only tell me the photo wasn't theirs! Pain in the rear end stuff! So I bought a cover and modded it a little. Let me know what you think. Mostly I'm looking for comments about the instant wow factor - ie does it grab you? And does it speak to you about fantasy?

WolvesFullCoverBlurbMediumSize.jpg

Cheers, Greg.

Hi Guys,

Had a little trouble using either of two previous photos for the cover for wolves - each time I tracked the site down and through it the photographer, they could only tell me the photo wasn't theirs! Pain in the rear end stuff! So I bought a cover and modded it a little. Let me know what you think. Mostly I'm looking for comments about the instant wow factor - ie does it grab you? And does it speak to you about fantasy?

WolvesFullCoverBlurbMediumSize.jpg

Cheers, Greg.

Front cover looks great. I'm intrigued by it. Back cover is a bit painful on the eyes, what with the red font.