• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Cover Story: NaNoWriMo2016

artsyChica

Dreamer
My Cover Story: Dominion's Dawn - NaNoWriMo2016

Nano2016_DDawn_WEB_UploadNN.jpg

This is the first rough draft for my NaNoWriMo Novel this year... I do love me some Photoshop - with a background in traditional visual art, I'm self taught from V4.0 and taught it from V.7.0 through the first iterations of CC at my local community college as a part of their Continuing Education staff.

So far, me likey a lot.

As for the story itself, I've created a world based on my conception of an African based world full of magic. The world is Alkebulan - which from what information I've been able to research on the 'Net, was the name Africa had given itself before the Romans - and others - "discovered" the continent and named it.

Last edited:
You may wish to add some visual contrast. Because the figure is dark, i would say, you can test with a few different light shades in the background. Also, it looks like you're using a single color overlay for the whole image, you can make it work if the values are in check. Otherwise you may try different colors for the figure and the background.

Also, the text. Keep it clear and readable, again, you can try a color with less yellow in it, because the image/background has enough yellow in it. Try adding a more cooler (blue-ish) color for the text. But it you want the text to look golden, then try changing the bg color to help the text pop better.

The objective is to keep the cover readable in a small thumbnail size.

Thought it should help. Oh, and if you feel that's unnecessary suggestions, please feel free to ignore. :)

I paint and write stories at: TheGrimBook.com

SeverinR

Vala
I agree. It, at least as it looks here, is a little to dark.
I think you want mystery(i.e. darkness), but lighten it a little so it's easier to see the persons back(woman's?)
I think she is of African heritage, so she is going to be dark skinned anyway.

Just my HO.
Good luck in writing.