• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reading Quest Series Art

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Reading_Quest_WIP_2.jpg

Hey all.

This is a piece of art that I had commissioned for the Reading Quest article series. The goal is to push people to read more by recommending books on a theme once in a while, and for the art, to swap the cover on the book with one of the regular recommended readings.

As you can probably see, there are a number of problems with this piece (some are my fault, and some are the artist's). I was hoping some of you could help me out a bit with it.

What do you think? What are your first impressions?

I haven't put together a background or the font with the series name yet. The final piece will go wide, with this guy on the left and the words "Reading Quest" stretching out to the right.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
My first impression is that it's a very welcoming owl-dog creature. It seems geared towards young children, perhaps also for a fantasy audience. On a critiquing note- the fingers on the hands need to match in size.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Thanks for responding K.S. Crooks,

I've more or less come to the conclusion that it needs to be redone with a new artist. I was hoping for welcoming but cool, and that second part didn't come across. There are some things about this image I could probably fix, but the kid-not-cool factor I don't think is one of them.