• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lumani's artwork

Lumani

Minstrel
Greetings!

I have just posted my introduction in the other section and thought I might introduce myself here as well!!

I do a lot of fantasy art as a hobby in my spare time, most of which are of the characters that lurk in my mind on a constant basis! I hope you will be able to enjoy some of them.

Here are a few of my personal favorites, keeping in mind that I tend to mingle fantasy and macabre in both my writing and artwork! I do this mostly on a personal basis, and am self taught so I realize my art isn't up to par with the professionals!

siblings___balias_and_lumara_by_xx_balias_xx-d6b2m0r.png

balias_by_xx_balias_xx-d6nkuwe.png

the_hunt_by_xx_balias_xx-d6wtr7a.png

you_will_dance_with_me__by_xx_balias_xx-d6qnfav.jpg

Nihal

Vala
Welcome. I see no problem in painting eerie things, I like dark fantasy art myself.

Oh dear, you got some patience to paint details... keep it up! And let me tell you a secret: The number of self-taught professionals is really high.

Very nice! I've tried drawing my characters before, but either they end up looking nothing like in my imagination, or they just aren't visualised enough. I don't really bother anymore as its impossible for me to be satisfied with them. These are good though, how do you do them?

Jabrosky

Banned
Wonderful work! I notice you tend to draw your human characters with white (platinum blonde?) hair. Is that your favorite hair color?

Lumani

Minstrel
Welcome. I see no problem in painting eerie things, I like dark fantasy art myself.

Oh dear, you got some patience to paint details... keep it up! And let me tell you a secret: The number of self-taught professionals is really high.

Thank you very much for the comment! :) Ugh...details, not my favorite thing that's for sure, I find it to be quite painful at times!

I've been struggling with my color pallets and use of shadows, which I'm sure an art class would actually help with! Everything always comes out way to vibrant for my taste, id like a bit more of a murky feel to them but I think I'm going to start working with a bit more textures and see if that draws out an epiphany!

Lumani

Minstrel
Very nice! I've tried drawing my characters before, but either they end up looking nothing like in my imagination, or they just aren't visualised enough. I don't really bother anymore as its impossible for me to be satisfied with them. These are good though, how do you do them?

I find its really helpful when I have boughts of Writers block, to have another way to express my characters. :) They kind of play back and forth to inspire both my written and drawn work!

I use a drawing tablet and Photo Shop CS3!

Lumani

Minstrel
Wonderful work! I notice you tend to draw your human characters with white (platinum blonde?) hair. Is that your favorite hair color?

Thank you! :D I do actually have a lot of characters with all range of hair colors! I do, however, tend to draw these characters most often, as I am very fond of them! The white hair is part of their racial features and a very prominent for the royal family.

Nihal

Vala
If you're worried about colors I advise to do studies of landscape photos. You don't need detail the painting, big brushes and blocks of color will do–or you can paint thumbnails, that works too. I don't many know better ways of expanding your color palette than this; landscapes have lots of unexpected colors, shadows, atmospheric fog, all observation worthy details. It might look daunting at first, but it's actually really fun.

Also use a color wheel if you can, having all the colors readily available helps to avoid using always the same ones. There is one plugin for PS, LENWHITE . COM:

PaintersWheel_CS6.jpg

It can be a bit crashy on certain rigs, but it's 100% free.

Lumani

Minstrel
Thought I would put up a few WIPS from my story that I will be working on over the next few weeks. Plus, a couple more CarneCanni (specialized breeds for my characters!) I'll put some up of the Ly'Rouzon horses next time.

WIPS
(rough 2009 pencil sketch, pre-tablet!! )
wip_by_xx_balias_xx-d6qpbm9.png

remake_by_xx_balias_xx-d6tx4i1.png

CarneCanni

lumara_reaper_by_xx_balias_xx-d6urjyj.png

balias_by_xx_balias_xx-d6tk1q0.png

Last edited:

Lumani

Minstrel
Tis is a WIP I'm working on :) was kinda doodling one day and I figured these guys might fit in well with My floating isle creatures! :) I think they might be tainted by the black waters that shower the isles and parts of the Syker marshes where the Soul reapers live. These would act as mounts for the Lhorre.

vampy_by_xx_balias_xx-d70fvwj.png

Ruby

Auror
Hi Lumani, I really love your artwork, especially the beautiful white haired characters. You are very talented imo. Have you thought of turning your WIP into a graphic novel?

Lumani

Minstrel
Thank you very much Ruby! :)

Someday I think it would be neat to do some art books relevant to my world and characters. I don't really have much experience
with graphic novels though so have never given it much thought!! ^__^