• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nimue draws things (sometimes)

Nimue

Auror
I sketched my characters for the diversity challenge, and realized that I didn't have anywhere to put them... I do draw and paint digitally, occasionally. I used to do it more often, but that's what graduating and getting a job does, I guess. Mostly I do it for character reference for myself, so it's pretty sloppy and usually unfinished. Liiiiike my writing.

feck_zps0b0hzgfn.png

Anywhere, here's Mirembe and Iseult. ...Ok, that's all wonky and doesn't really do them justice, but whatevs. And they don't have any clothes on because I got lazy, don't get any ideas!

Other recent stuff is basically just this:
far4_zpsag7ctcny.png

Farrun Dragonrider from the Winds of Ysgard rp (finished)

sae2_zpskn1wriky.png

Sae also from Winds of Ysgard (not so finished)

sabhenna_by_saeyre-d89i9cz.png

And a half-done painting of my grumpy Nordic lady knight

Nimue

Auror
Older, more finished stuff:
iseult_by_saeyre-d89i93z.png

This is also Iseult, an earlier version I used in an rp. She was a bit more of an asshole then.

fury_again_by_saeyre-d5x3ke5.png

A werewolf character (who was raised by wolves) for an rp that I didn't get to use much, but I liked making this character sheet

vassal_by_saeyre-d5x3jqd.png

And this one's a really old character who has no business being in my head, but again, I liked painting this. Think that's about it.

Tom

Istar
Yaaayyyyyyyy! You have an art thread! I love the character you put into each person's face. Mirembe looks exactly how I imagined him/them to look.

Nimue

Auror
Ah, that's good to hear! I wasn't 100% sure what Mir looked like until I drew him--that's often the reason I draw characters so their features will stop fluctuating in my head. Though, obviously that doesn't work completely, given how different Iseult looks a couple of years apart. It's amazing how many faces will fit into a couple lines of description.

I've had people tell me that my character expressions are too static, which I think is true, but because I'm going for character portraits/representation, I think it works for it to be a fairly default expression. For that character, you know, hence why Farrun is smiling a bit and other people are not.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
These are all great. The werewolf character with the wolves is my favorite. Makes me think of Wolf-Alice.

The first paragraph of which is:

"Could this ragged girl with brindled lugs have spoken like we do she would have called herself a wolf, but she cannot speak, although she howls because she is lonely–yet 'howl' is not the right word for it, since she is young enough to make the noise that pups do, bubbling, delicious, like that of a panful of fat on the fire. Sometimes the sharp ears of her foster kindred hear her across the irreparable gulf of absence; they answer her from faraway pine forest and the bald mountain rim. Their counterpoint crosses and criss-crosses the night sky; they are trying to talk to her but they cannot do so because she does not understand their language even if she knows how to use it for she is not a wolf herself, although suckled by wolves."

Of course, your character is older than the girl in the story. It just made me think of it :)

Last edited:

Nimue

Auror
I've never read that! My character's name was Fury, and she was actually raised by her father, also a werewolf, in a wolf-pack, so she at least had fluent speech. (Being language-less would make for an excellent story, but a frustrating rp experience, I think)

Fantastic artwork Nimue! They convey the impression of the characters, wonky or not. I hope you will post more :)

Last edited:
Amazing artwork and painting skills. Even if not as polished as you like, as most have said, you definitely convey the characters well in your bust shots. You're full body piece with Fury is perfect, and I can see from your older to new where you are trying something different.

Nimue

Auror
I've been feeling kind of fried lately, and while that hasn't been great for writing output, I did manage to get some drawing done, because drawing is a little more hand and eye than brain...

Working on finishing Sae--see the drawing above. Does anything look wonky about this? I still have to add her scars back in. Do these ears look better, or worse?

sae3_zpspnlapxri.png

Lumani

Minstrel
I love your artwork! especially your wolves :D (*is so totally jealous*) like you I like to draw my characters for reference!

Nimue

Auror
Finally finished staring elf! I basically just had to draw her clothes, yeah. I hate drawing clothes. Particularly with detail and like strands of fur. Why do I do this to myself?

sae4_zpsoxucwfcg.png

I dunno if anybody likes this sort of thing, but I kinda do, so: progression pics under the cut. Saethira is an old-ass character. I haven't written a whole lot with her but I have drawn her periodically, and lining the pics up is pretty embarrassing, but it's also interesting to see how I've tried to convey a singular mental image over the years... Keep in mind that the first one is from 2007, I believe, and I was sixteen... The others are from 2009, 2010, 2013, and this year, obvy.

elfsmush_zpsus9jhanl.png

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
So we can expect the next one in 2017?

Seriously, I love the progression. Not "bad art"—the spoiler tag lied. She's recognizable as the same person, and it's good to see your facial features are consistent now (from 2013-2015). Of course, there is still progression, particularly noticeable in the clothing. I love the detail on her outfit!

Nimue

Auror
Aye, or the curse will fall upon me. :p

I do really like the drawing I started in 2013, but ended up leaving it unfinished for a couple of reasons: it was a full-body shot + landscape background, which was a little too much for me to chew, and I really couldn't get her armor to look decent. A case of holding on to old bad design for too long, I think: goodbye giant cleavage window and pointy pieces of metal in strange places. Hello something somebody could actually move and fight in, maybe? Or just headshots forever, lol.

I haven't made a whole lot of progress in my art in the past couple of years--2013 was the year I graduated and I did have more free-time then (and more stress! Both lead to doodling.) And that is kind of discouraging, but something I can't complain about. If I don't draw, I'm not going to get anywhere, obviously.

Nimue

Auror
Yourself needs sleep, and art is a little further up in the survival hierarchy, so don't feel bad about that. :p

Reactions: Tom

Nimue

Auror
Ah, not really, I did some small commissions a few years ago, like this one and this one (characters not mine) but overall found that I'm not really professional or quick enough to feel good about offering commissions! I do love drawing other people's characters, but I've done that mostly as gifts over the years.