• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Map Making on MS Paint

So I often use MS Paint to make my maps. This is my most recent attempt at map making. I was wondering what you guys thought about it, purely on aesthetic level (this is essentially a template). Keep in mind that I'm using MS Paint so my tools are severely limited. What do you guys think?
Map_Template.png

Tom

Istar
I really like it! I think it has a sort of organic, arts-and-crafts aesthetic, like it was done in either felt tip pen or ink on a watercolor wash. Your MS Paint skills are far beyond mine!

its easy when you get all the Land marks premade. along with the chosen colors to go into more detail. because then its copy and past for those. if enough time given could plan out a whole kingdom with it

its easy when you get all the Land marks premade. along with the chosen colors to go into more detail. because then its copy and past for those. if enough time given could plan out a whole kingdom with it
Yeah, copy and paste is a big part of using MS Paint, the texture for the water land was created by copying and pasting a pattern I made using simple lines.

However, I'd like to say I did not make the land mark icons. I tried doing them a thousand different ways and couldn't find one that worked right, so I found one online (here actually, found it in a member's thread but he's been banned), and I recolored them, which sounds small but doing it pixel by pixel on MS Paint takes a long time.
It came out very nicely. I love how you used two colors to create the illusion of inked strokes. You have the skill of an 8-bit sprite artist!
I started making MS Paint stuff by making Pokemon sprites, which truthfully I have not mastered. But I'm improving every day.

Regardless if the landmarks are pre-made or not, it is still a lot of work. So, well done.

Also, neat coastline you got there.