• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Art

cydare

Minstrel
It's been three years since I started drawing again. Though I've still got a long way to go, I've finally reached a stage where I don't mind sharing my work.

tumblr_odxd4pNWgH1uozok4o4_r1_540.png

This is Lady Loveday in her early twenties. She's an important side character in the current novel I'm working on.

tumblr_odxd4pNWgH1uozok4o3_540.png

These two are Thaddeus and Amun, my WIP's main characters.

tumblr_odxd4pNWgH1uozok4o2_540.jpg

This is a traditional sketch, where I'm trying my hand at an even more cartoony style. Thaddeus again, in female form (top) and male form (bottom).

I've recently started drawing some more proper concept art for the novel I'm working on. Clothing, architecture, various scenes. I might post some of those up here too.

Very cool! I really liked that pin-up. If I could, I would recommend paying more attention to the light.
You can decide a light source and then lit the whole scene/people/stuff according to that light. It would add more depth and believability to the art. And you can play with light and shadow to change the mood, add drama and direct the eye of the viewer---that's most important. To make them see what you want them to focus on.
And light plays an important role in that. Other than composition and lines.

Great work, keep it up, you'll be awesome! :)

I paint and write stories at: TheGrimBook.com

Nimue

Auror
Aaaa, fantastic! I love your dreamy colors, and the detail of the costumes--clothing design is always something I've been rubbish at. Please, share more when you have it!

cydare

Minstrel
Thank you RupamGrimoeuvre! It's good advice. I definitely need to pull up some tutorials and references when it comes to lighting, because it's currently not anywhere near the front of my skillset. Your art looks lovely! I'll have to go through and read some of the stories too when I get the time.

And thank you very much Nimue! I'll do so! I'm currently working on a clothing design sheet actually! I'm designing around 6 outfits per character to get a feel for the things they wear (and I guess, 12 for my character Thaddeus with the two different forms). I'll put those up soon!

Thank you RupamGrimoeuvre! It's good advice. I definitely need to pull up some tutorials and references when it comes to lighting, because it's currently not anywhere near the front of my skillset. Your art looks lovely! I'll have to go through and read some of the stories too when I get the time.

Yeah, well, the trick is to understand that you don't paint stuff, you paint light! And it's not tough, just a bit of planning required. If you have any technical queries, feel free to contact me. I'd love to help!
And thanks for your kind words! And yeah, I hope the writings won't suck. But this is my passion project, I just reworked the website and trying to get back to this and wanna do it full time. I'mcurrently writing a new story (these are almost a year old, when I first attempted to work on the project, then I didn't write at all) so now, again, trying to follow the heart. :)
Look forward to getting your feedback.

I paint and write stories at: TheGrimBook.com

Last edited:

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Your art is beautiful. In the Thaddeus and Amun picture I love the little details, like how she I on her toes, her hair has moved off of her back and how the male seems to be fighting the urge to slide his left hand a little further down ;)

neodoering

Minstrel
You absolutely can! I always welcome feedback and hope to improve.

With the woman and the camel, I thought the heavy blue lines around them detracted from the composition. The lines seem more important than the objects they surround. And for the background, maybe make the colors significantly different from the camel and the woman. Like, yellow desert, off-white desert, orange desert, etc. So the shades of the woman and the camel aren't so close to the background colors. I'm not a professional artist, but I have done some paintings before, and I have picked up a few things. If you don't want critique, feel free to ignore my comments. I'm not trying to run you down, just point out things I would change if this was a picture I had created.

Stormnorm

Acolyte
The kissing scene...Less lines the better (especially for the background). Having the background with lower opacity and some blur can help create a sense of depth.