• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Art By Removing From The Paper

Addison

Auror
My artwork is uh...average at best. Individual parts of the body come out fine but do NOT ask me to make a whole person. My teachers kept telling me "Just put it on the paper. Take what's in your head and put it on the paper." I followed their advice, got C's. Given one project I think that was a pity grade.

But I recently tried sculpting. Not as bad as drawing, but not a whole lot better either. Then I remember one art project I did and I got an A+. I tried to remember what it was, why it worked.

Well it worked because I wasn't putting anything ON paper, I was taking things off. It was a paper covered in black paint and I used a wooden stick to scratch the paint off to reveal the white below. I realized that's how I built my characters and story worlds. Not by putting what they ARE on paper or .docx. But by taking away and describing what they aren't. The character is not a coward, the world is not medieval, etc.

But I can't for the life of me remember what that art medium was called! So anyone who knows what it's called when you scrape black paint off a special paper or something to make a picture, please post. Thank you!