• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Some Paintings I Did

neodoering

Minstrel
Been looking at other people's art posted in this forum, and I thought I'd respond with some of my own.

I have created an illustrated novel with calligraphy, illuminations, astronomical signs, and paintings. Here are a couple of pieces of art from the novel, for your viewing pleasure:

YaxChanCabCoh.jpg

This is the mother of the main character.

youngerbrother.jpg

This is the main character in his role as storyteller in training.

Wasp.jpg

An illumination of a wasp.

Maize.jpg

An illumination of a maize plant.

The style takes after the painted pottery of the Maya Indians of Central America. The entire illuminated book is available as a set of pdf files, for free, at: http://www.rdoering.com/temples.html. There's lots more art in this vein, within.

neodoering

Minstrel
Not Sure What You Mean

Very good, have you applied them to objects or just digital / paper?

Writer;
What do you mean by "applied them to objects?" I put these images in a book along with hundreds of other images and made them into PDF files that you can download and read for your enjoyment. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can made a paper book out of my electronic book, but there are a LOT of technical issues to resolve, and it's going to take months to resolve this problem.

Writer

Dreamer
These will look good on pottery, lamps, etc for effect, hence I was asking if you tried to apply them there.

neodoering

Minstrel
How Would I Apply These Paintings to a Mug?

These will look good on pottery, lamps, etc for effect, hence I was asking if you tried to apply them there.

Writer;
Is there some company out there that will apply TIFF files or EPS files, etc. to a mug or a postcard, for a few bucks? I have seen cartoons on the side of coffee mugs, but I have never looked into doing this for my own work. Spill!

neodoering

Minstrel
The people featured in the paintings in the OP are Maya Indians, which is why they're brown. The Maya themselves picked this color. The main resource I used for ideas, colors, and style was the book Painting the Maya Universe by Dorie Reents-Budet, which is an exploration of Maya ceramic painting of ancient times. The artwork was so beautiful that I decided to learn the style and render these incredible people back to life again.