• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Spoiler-Fest: Game of Thrones S6

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Love it, hate it, spoil it for others!

Only read this thread if any two of the following apply to you:
(a) I've read all the books.
(b) I've seen all the shows.
(c) I don't care about book spoilers.
(d) I don't care about show spoilers.

That's the prerequisite for reading. Here are my rules for posting:

#1 - Only discuss a Season 6 episode after its Sunday showing.
#2 - Be respectful to other MS members.
#3 - Don't use spoiler tags.

That's it. Rule #2 is something I threw in because, in my opinion, Season 4 was awesome and Season 5 was 50% crap. I don't know if people are still psyched about this show or if it already jumped the shark. I do know feelings are mixed, so I just wanna say that regardless of what you think of the show, your opinion is welcome.

MineOwnKing

Maester
I enjoyed all 5 seasons, pumped for the 6th.

I enjoyed it more the second time around having just watched all episodes again.

I've started the books but never seem to get very far. Sorry...I'm late to the game, I'll get there eventually.

One of things I can say about viewing it versus reading it was the relief I felt when Jon Snow died. I didn't like his character at all. I found it hard to sympathize or care about him. Maybe in the books he's more likable? I'm certainly not interested in his looks which they go on and on about. ??

But now I hear rumors he will come back, and be revealed as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Wouldn't he have white hair and not black if that were true?

Any predictions on this?

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I heard the rumors, and the theory of who he is is a sound one supported in the books. (So others have said—I won't claim to be so observant.) I don't think he's permanently dead, seeing that other characters have survived death. The fact that his corpse is featured so prominently in S6 trailers seems to hint he's going to return from the dead.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
He'll be resurrected by Melisandre, the red woman. His death, however, will release him from his oath to the Night's Watch.

That's the only reason the story of Baeric Dondarion & Thoros of Myr was included. Thoros is also a priest of the God of light, like Melisandre. Thoros resurrected many people. We should expect the same from Melisandre.

...But now I hear rumors he will come back, and be revealed as the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Wouldn't he have white hair and not black if that were true?

He's also half Stark.

Martin has said that some fans might've figured out the ending twists already, a danger of his slow writing process.

I'd say this is all rather likely. We'll see.

The thing that makes me wonder....
The Targareyens were all dragon riders. There are three dragons now. If one is for Dany & one for Jon, who rides the third?

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The Targareyens were all dragon riders. There are three dragons now. If one is for Dany & one for Jon, who rides the third?

I thought I had this figured out before*, but I forgot.
[SUB][/SUB][SUB]*[/SUB][SUP].[/SUP][SUB](in an uncertain, strictly-theoretical way that is likely to be an incorrect guess)[/SUB]

That's the other danger of slow writing. After a while, the reader stops giving a damn. Yes, I'll read book 6 when there is a book 6. I don't mean like "he took too long so I'm gonna rage-quit the series!" There's no malice. I'm simply not immersed in the story at the moment because there's no new material. I'm sure when book 6 is out, I'll be into it and things I forgot will come back to me.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I'm just hoping for a giant fleet of ticked off Ironborn to drop anchor off Merleen...and maybe tangle with another fleet of slave soldiers. But I'm probably hoping for too much.

MineOwnKing

Maester
One of the world building aspects I find lacking in the episodes is the non-presence of farmers working the fields on screen.

Winter is coming and yet soldiers are more worried about drinking and sharpening their swords. Daenerys conquers cities surrounded by desert. Not much food to be had there. The Warden of the North rules vast knobs of nearly frozen sod. Farms are shown abandoned due to wildling raiders.

The few farms they highlighted, were pillaged by Lanister soldiers or even The Hound. The high council talks about grain stores but nobody is shown doing any real work.

I think it would make more sense to portray soldiers as part time farmers or fisherman like the Vikings were rather than just loafing about waiting to pick the legs off of spiders.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
…just loafing about waiting to pick the legs off of spiders.
I like to think that you're only seeing part of the world, but I do get what you're saying.

When they made Arya's S5 target a pedophile, I just shook my head like, of course. He did slaughter babies. I hated this, but it's not really far fetched for that evil a man. But it does get to the point where the world is so horribly dark to children on such a mass scale, you wonder how there can even be enough left to grow up and become adults.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Arya must be set to play an important role in future episodes. I found the faceless god a little confusing. Is it a real god or is it black magic? I got this vibe from the Lord of Light also. As if there are many false gods that are actually demons?

I think Arya stopped being a child when Ned's head was chopped off. I wonder more about her brother Bran Stark. I didn't understand why he had to go to the giant tree. Is the tree one of the old gods? Hmm, too many questions.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
There's a lot that happens in the books that doesn't happen in the show. There are little fairy-like women who live under a tree and use magic. This is where Bran ended up on the show. We saw the pixyish woman cause explosions and stuff, but Jojen Reed's death did not happen in the books. If he dies in book 6 or 7, it will happen elsewhere. Anyway, Bran Stark can do more than just see through animals. He can see across time or something, but he basically becomes part of a tree.

The other thing that didn't happen at all in the show was Arya Stark seeing through the eyes of her dire wolf. She ends up leading a small pack and this probably helps her hone her killer instinct.

I don't know what gods are good and what are evil, but the Lord of Light is the reason Caitlyn Stark is still around—only in the books. She is considered to be Lady Stoneheart, and she likes to hang people.

The other thing that didn't happen at all in the show was Arya Stark seeing through the eyes of her dire wolf. She ends up leading a small pack and this probably helps her hone her killer instinct.

When that happened in the books, I had the feeling it was leading up to some kind of massive pack being led by her around the time of the final battle with the White Walkers, or some other battle. In the books, the growing pack, roaming the wild, was mentioned a time or two during narrative focused on Westeros.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I never really ask why—I just like the scenes. But yeah, that makes sense. I wonder how that will play out on the show, since Arya's pack never came up.

Speaking of predictions, I can see by your avatar you already predict Luffy will sit on the Iron Throne.
My sources say otherwise.

SesameStreet-BG-620x349.jpg

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I guess it's starting now. Enjoy! I'll catch the 11:00 or 11:30 showing, and will turn on HBO at 10:00 in case premiere night has a 10:00 or 10:30 show.

Peat

Sage
I thought I had this figured out before*, but I forgot.
[SUB][/SUB][SUB]*[/SUB][SUP].[/SUP][SUB](in an uncertain, strictly-theoretical way that is likely to be an incorrect guess)[/SUB]

That's the other danger of slow writing. After a while, the reader stops giving a damn. Yes, I'll read book 6 when there is a book 6. I don't mean like "he took too long so I'm gonna rage-quit the series!" There's no malice. I'm simply not immersed in the story at the moment because there's no new material. I'm sure when book 6 is out, I'll be into it and things I forgot will come back to me.

Truth. Except I'm not sure I'll read book 6. After all, I'll know how Martin originally intended the story to end by then and I'm no longer so invested in the world that I want to read every word. And as I'm not watching the show either, I'll be eagerly following this thread to find out what happens :D

The Melisandre reveal was satisfying and more. This was the first time I felt a solidness to the magic in GRRM's world. There are of course other examples of magical events and effects, but they have seemed hazy, abstract, vague in comparison. M.'s reveal brought home the reality of the depth and power of magic in that world for me.

Reilith

Sage
This new episode was quite weak - only a handful of moments made it interesting. I know GoT tends to start by resolving cliff-hangers from previous seasons, but this was mostly unsatisfying and bleak. Bright moments were the Melisandre's reveal, Sansa's scene and the Dorne. Daenerys has become utterly boring - I was kinda happy with the outcome of her scene. I was disappointed in the lack of Tyrion. He is the sole reason I am still watching this show. He and the drama at King's Landing.

SeverinR

Vala
The other part of the rumor is that Tyrion is the son of Aerys Targaryen and Joanna Lannister.
if both rumors are true...Tyrion and John Snow would be half brothers. Isn't it rumored that Ned took John as his, when he was really Ned's sister's and Aerys Targaryen?

Hmm, no posts from the first episode? Not that good or is everyone just busy?