Thread: New Doctor in town

Portfolio Entries

New Doctor in town

Jodie Whittaker is Doctor Who?s Thirteenth Doctor - The Verge

Definitely interested in watching. I haven't seen any of the show past the first Capaldi episode, not because of anything wrong with Capaldi but because I couldn't take Moffat's atrocious writing anymore.
    All cat stories start with this statement: "My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

2. Thanks Reaver thanked for this post
    Portfolio Entries
    Never got into Dr. Who but I don't see why people are making a big deal out of a female actor playing Dr. Who. Isn't Dr. Who some sort of immortal alien who can assume any form? Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

Some bigger questions that remain unanswered are:

Why the hell are they so afraid of the Daleks?

Why haven't they gotten a tech or cgi makeover?

Why haven't they made them cooler looking?

Why haven't they given them the ability to hover?

Heat seeking missiles?

Thermal and night vision?

Poison gas that fills the room?

A giant cloud of nanobots that you inhale and they kill you from the inside (like in the incredibly written "Prey" by Michael Crichton)?

Why does the Hunter-Seeker from Dune (1984) seem deadlier?

Can anyone answer please these questions?
    Last edited by Reaver; 7-16-17 at 9:41 PM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain."

-Frank Herbert, DUNE

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

-Frank Herbert, DUNE

My only real comment here is that you can see how they've been seeding this throughout Capaldi's run as the Doctor, whereas before, looking only at the current series where we almost never see any other Time Lords, it may have been a bit more out of nowhere.
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G. K. Chesterton

Catch My Trope Reboots and Other Articles
    Help us get started with Project Mythlands
    Read With Us in the Anatomy of Fiction Reading Group

There were people that hated Ghostbusters for having "females" in the lead roles and because it was a mediocre film [okay but not a patch on the original]. Some people will hate the new Doctor Who because it isn't the way they want it to look.
    Nothing wrong with the acting in the last series but it has been pretty poor. Hopefully the new line up [Doctor, Companion, Writers, and Show runner] will be a bit of a reboot. It is just about the only show that you can reboot every few years and no one really notices.
    Some of us are still trying to get over there being 13+ Doctors.
    Back, when they were still making it all up on the fly, there were supposed to be only 9 regenerations per Time Lord, when the series got rebooted this was quietly changed to 12 and now even that has been dropped.
    As for Daleks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
    Why the hell are they so afraid of the Daleks?
    They used to be tough. And very inhuman. One Dalek, alone, terrified the first of the new Doctors. One... Now they are MotW.
    Why haven't they gotten a tech or cgi makeover?
    and
    Why haven't they made them cooler looking?
    They did about 3-4 years ago. They looked like the colourful plastic toys that they were destined to be made in to. They looked chunky,heavy, ungainly and were widely derided. And seemingly quietly dropped.
    The trouble with "cool"-now is that it looks dated in a year or two. I like that the Daleks look like something not thought up by a 20-something with a 3D modelling package.
    And yes for the rest. They are very flawed. But if they were as good as they were supposed to be, all they'd ever do is nuke a place as they are supposed to the most radiation resistant race in the Who-inverse. And then they'd send in Road-Rollers.
    Gibson: No, I... I have to write some letters first.

6. Thanks Reaver thanked for this post
    I am very pleased to see a female doctor, I think it will turn out great.

Now all we need is Idris Elba as Bond.

And on another issue..Daleks have been hovering from quite some time.

The reason that they have not made Daleks look cooler? Because they already are.
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”- John Wayne

I'm not too familiar with Jodie Whitaker, but I liked her in Attack the Block, so I'm very pleased with this choice. But what really excites me about next season is the fact that Steven Moffat isn't in charge anymore. That guy's writing pisses me off to no ends, and I will always see the past few seasons as nothing short of an utter waste of Peter Capaldi's talent. It should also be noted that he's particularly bad when it comes to writing female characters, so I can only imagine what next season would be like with him in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Now all we need is Idris Elba as Bond.
    I will never not support this idea. Though I worry that he might be getting a bit old to be Bond now.

10. Thanks Russ thanked for this post
    Has anyone seen this? It's pretty hilarious.

I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly. ~Edgar Rice Burroughs

12. Thanks Gryphos thanked for this post