• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

GoT S7 Spoilerfest!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Here's a GoT thread for anyone who wants to discuss any S7 episode that has already aired. Anything that's been published is fair game, no spoiler tags needed.

Obviously, don't discuss anything from a future episode/book that's been leaked. Because leaks are lame, and leakers are lamer.

Holman

Minstrel
Given the different time zones that everyone is in and the ability to watch online from other countries - is it safe to assume that Episode 4 is open for discussion?

In which case - is it better to drown or be burnt to death by dragon flame?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Yes.

Fire's faster. Drowning would give to time to think, the hell, Bronn? I was trying to go down in a blaze of glory, not drown in my armor like a chump!

Holman

Minstrel
******************** SPOILER ALERT ***************** SPOILER ALERT ************** SPOILER ALERT ************

Yes.
Fire's faster. Drowning would give to time to think, the hell, Bronn? I was trying to go down in a blaze of glory, not drown in my armor like a chump!

Exactly my thoughts - just a thought - given the activity stream shows the first part of the post - should there be a standard lead in to stop people catching sight of the spoiler - similar to the above?

Episode 4 was the best this season and surely in the top 5 for the show's whole run, although I think it also has the benefit of coming after that whole run. Arya v Brienne was pure bliss for me but has the benefit of coming after long character buildups.

I'm trying to decide if Jaime is going to be pulled out by Daenerys' forces and become a prisoner. This could work great for the plot. I could picture some kind of negotiation for his release—and Cersei declining, with Euron standing beside her with a smirk. This sets up Jaime's turn to Daenerys' side and/or the eventual prophecy-fulfilling murder of Cersei by Jaime. (I'm seeing the repetition of the Tyrion & Shae betrayal; i.e., hell hath no fury like a Lannister man betrayed in love.) But this is pure speculation running through my head.

The great thing now happening with the show: We have favorite characters on all sides and the tension of seeing them fight each other, with life and death in the balance.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
.................................................................................................................................................................................................Only thing I have to say about it is that Jaime better stay alive... Well that and the battle scene was wonderful. Go Bronn! I would have never thought that I would ever actually want one of the dragons to die.

(Edit: I added the dots so people wouldn't get spoiled by the activity thread.

It's not that I wanted him to die.........

....but I'd've been perfectly fine if he had. His time seems nearly over.......................

Bronn belongs in the group of characters whose time has come, or whose significance is fading fast. There's just not much character arc left. I'd put Varys in that group as well.

My guess for next big character to die? LF.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
No way Jaime will die (yet), or why bother shoving him from fire to water? I also was rooting for him and Bronn to die, and I was surprised by that. I thought I wouldn't be able to pick a side, but I did. I wanted Bronn and Jaime to buy it, and I knew they wouldn't but I also knew it would satisfy me in the heat of the moment. (Not a pun 'cause they didn't burn, dammit.)

LF… what is my deal? I really can't do initials. I'm having flashbacks of not knowing what LOL meant when it was new. I still pronounce it /lawl/. LF. Uh… Larry Fine. My brain is stuck on Larry Fine for some reason, and I can't think of an alternative.

OH! Little Finger!!! Ha! Take that, brain!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Daenerys' battle tactics were horrid, I couldn't help grumbling about the missed opportunity and wasted Dothraki lives... but a helluva battle scene!

Seriously, the horde screams, the Lannisters line up in a big row (predictably) and the dragon comes from on high right down that row instead of breachinga single hole, much like they did later in the battle.

And I was rooting for the dragon all the way, I love Jaime's character arc and well, Bronn is Bronn, but them or a dragon? I'm on the dragon's side.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Daenerys' battle tactics were horrid, I couldn't help grumbling about the missed opportunity and wasted Dothraki lives... but a helluva battle scene!
At first I thought the galloping horde was just for show and the dragon would fly ahead and lay waste to the enemy. That sort of happened, but yeah... less exciting charges and more dragon exhalation at the tightly-packed men would have lowered Dothraki casualties to the 0-99 range.

I guess the options were:

PLAN A - Don't die.
PLAN B - Look cool.

And the Dothraki horde yelled, "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!" and did whatever the hell they wanted.

Episode 4 was the best this season and surely in the top 5 for the show's whole run, although I think it also has the benefit of coming after that whole run. Arya v Brienne was pure bliss for me but has the benefit of coming after long character buildups.

I'm trying to decide if Jaime is going to be pulled out by Daenerys' forces and become a prisoner. This could work great for the plot. I could picture some kind of negotiation for his release—and Cersei declining, with Euron standing beside her with a smirk. This sets up Jaime's turn to Daenerys' side and/or the eventual prophecy-fulfilling murder of Cersei by Jaime. (I'm seeing the repetition of the Tyrion & Shae betrayal; i.e., hell hath no fury like a Lannister man betrayed in love.) But this is pure speculation running through my head.

The great thing now happening with the show: We have favorite characters on all sides and the tension of seeing them fight each other, with life and death in the balance.

This is my guess. It could also lead to a cool scene where Tyrion visits Jaime in a cell, just like Jaime visited him after Joffrey's death. After all, they do love doing callbacks to previous scenes.

Rkcapps

Sage
I think best scene EVER, yes, lots of satisfying scenes have been come and gone. They shocked us (like Jon Snow's death or Joffery's death) but we've seen these dragons grow and finally we witnessed their power UNLEASHED and boy was it unleashed! Brilliant filming. Very nicely handled by all involved.

I like the symmetry of, potentially, Tryion visiting Jamie in a cell. But one of the great things about GOT is that it surprises us!

Great idea starting this thread, love the discussion. I wonder if this is a sign of what's to come? Could the dragons be the key to fighting the Whitewalkers?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I actually am glad the dragon was shot and survived. A shot to the head would have been too easy too soon. Even the ultimate dragonslaying weapon shouldn't slay a dragon with ease.

That said, it's not lost on me that the Mountain also survived a spear but not the poison, and that Qyburn is a poison expert, and the dragonslaying weapon is called a "scorpion" and not a "ballista." So who knows what shitstorm awaits when Jaime is dragged from the water?

...................................... Spoiler Heading Heh.

Shooting the dragon was a clever bit of twerking for the coming episodes. It not only shows the vulnerability of Daenerys' "smash 'em with a hammer" strategizing, but it will build tension in future battles between her forces and Cersei's. Plus, it puts the goings-on up North in jeopardy, since dragons killed could hurt the effort to defend and defeat the Night King.

Speaking of Cersei's forces...this episode's losses added to the losses in Casterly Rock will be a significant dent. However, this does set up the influx of Braavosi soldiers.

I wonder if Jon will castigate Daenerys for destroying all that grain. In the same episode, and even the previous episode I think, Sansa's fretting about food stores for the north. Plus, Daenerys herself lamented the loss of access to the Tyrell food stores in this episode, fretting about feeding her army. I'm curious if she'll be forced to send the Dothraki on pillaging missions, just to keep her army fed, especially as winter continues to move in.

This episode's three best lines:

Bran: "Chaos is a ladder."

Arya: "No one."

Tyrion calling Jaime an idiot three times.

Best overall speech: Jon telling Daenerys what she needed to hear. I especially loved this moment because it shows him supplanting her previous advisers. I keep having this niggling worry that Tyrion is having doubts about continuing in her service. If his brother is taken captive and Daenerys is forced to become even more violent (imagine!), I wonder if Tyrion has it in him to betray her or leave her service.

Last edited:
Did anyone else catch the major continuity error?

Hint: He's on his horse, now he isn't, now he is again.

I'm assuming the fight was originally longer but was cut in editing.

Edit: OR, it was filmed two ways, one where he's mounted and another when he's on his feet, then spliced together.....I didn't catch it the first time around. It goes fast. But I've watched so many reaction videos on YouTube, I finally saw it.

I'm kinda addicted to this episode.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
******************** SPOILER ALERT ***************** SPOILER ALERT ************** SPOILER ALERT ************

Exactly my thoughts - just a thought - given the activity stream shows the first part of the post - should there be a standard lead in to stop people catching sight of the spoiler - similar to the above?
Huh. That's actually a good idea.

I won't go so far as to make an official rule that any of us (including me) might break unintentionally. But I guess do your best to choose your first words carefully. Like "Joff died! Holy crap!" would not be a good opening line for a post at 10:01 PM EST on the night the purple wedding aired, for example.

Oh... and I also glossed over what's fair game, so let me tell you what I consider fair: After an episode airs on HBO, feel free to post about it. I always watch the 11:30 EST showing, so I will steer clear of this thread from 9:00 to 12:30 on Sunday nights.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
This was the moving-the-chess-pieces episode.

^Not a complaint.

I think the show's creators (who I've criticized quite heavily in past seasons, especially S5) are at the top of their game this season. Even an episode like this, full of build up for upcoming epicness, had a lot of fun bits. The father and son BBQ wasn't hammer-to-the-face satisfaction, but our favorite Tarley rage-quitting the citadel... loved the whole scene. The uselessness of the old men, Gilly correcting Sam ("Steps."), tossing the book to the kid.

@5th, I guess LF will annoy us a bit before he buys it? Instigating sibling rivalry between sisters. What a dick! As a father of daughters, I look forward to your prediction happening, whenever that might be. Death by Needle, I hope. (Capital N so you know I mean Arya's sword, not lethal injection.)

Yeah, another setup episode.

The only complaint I have is the existence of teleportation in this season, hah. We don't know how often events in different areas are happening concurrently, because we'll have long, drawn out scenes in one location and when those characters reappear for another scene, they are several days' journey elsewhere. (Jon, this episode.) This could mean that one drawn-out scene involving other characters, in between, is happening concurrently with that first scene or concurrently with the time/space leaped scene that follows.

@LS: Well, my semi-prediction of Jaime's fate was wrong. I was momentarily disappointed to see the air let out of the balloon when he appeared safe-and-sound away from any enemy forces.

The thing I'm trying to decide about LF is whether Arya & siblings are really onto him, or if he's successfully going to manipulate them. Today's guess is that Bran's existence puts things on the side of the Stark kids. There was an early scene in the last episode where LF was shown and a raven/crow was cawing, and I think that maybe that was a hint that Bran's been keeping tabs on LF.

One thing the show's creators are able to do with these set-up scenes is to maintain tension. All that Arya/LF stuff is frustrating for me personally. I want her to just kill him. But these little movements of the chess pieces that create that frustration are creating tension; no need for massive battles every episode.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I try not to think of the movement as teleportation, so much as the show glosses over the passing of days/weeks/months between episodes. Of course it does come off that way. My wife asked, "How did Jaime get back?" I guess the answer to her question is that the story of how Jaime traveled back to King's Landing was too boring to tell, so we skip two weeks of trudging along the road with his golden thumb out to passing wagons (and Bronn lifting a pant leg when they get desperate).

Yes, tension can be frustrating. Arya. You know he's a jerk. Kill him. I do hope she's not stupid enough to think that Sansa's note means what Little Finger wants her to think it means. It might be a note with a male pronoun referring to Ramsey Bolton, not John Snow. Just a guess, since I imagine Arya would know Sansa's handwriting, so whatever the note says, it's really written by Sansa.

You make a good point about Bran's ability to resolve whatever sisterly squabble might ensue. (Again, speaking as a father of daughters, I @#$%ing hate it when sisterly squabbles ensue!)