• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The PS4 exclusive Bloodborne.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone.

After slowly saving the necessary cash and waiting for a long time, I already have my dazzling Playstation 4 at last. The console is incredible, and even though I can play only one game on it at the moment, that game is the very famous and highly appreciated PS4 exclusive Bloodborne.

Have you played it too? Perhaps you are playing this game at the moment?

I have barely started my adventure at Yharnam, and I am already falling in love with Bloodborne. The dark and gothic world, the creepy monsters, my super cool female Hunter with violet eyes, the incredible weapons, the blood flying everywhere when I fight, the excellent combat system and the atmosphere in general are all simply superb.

At the moment I am trying to fight my way through Central Yharnam, because it's all full of monsters everywhere and even though I kill loads of them, they always manage to stop me in the end...

Any tips for beginners that you can give me?

My favorite place so far is the Hunter's Dream, what a lovely and beautiful dream world. I already purchase loads of Molotov bombs and Blood Vials and I repair my giant axe at the Workshop, but so far I am unable to Fortify the axe and the Doll is still sleeping or something.

Bloodborne is incredible!

Gryphos

Auror
Bloodborne is one of my favourite games of all time. The atmosphere, the world-building, the high-octane combat, superb.

A few tips:

Make sure to always talk to NPCs multiple times, and keep talking to them until they start repeating themselves; that's how you know you've got all the dialogue you can out of them. This can be important for progression reasons for some and just general story-telling reasons for others.

Also, if you see a window or a door that has a red innocence lantern next to it, it means you can interact with it and talk to whoever's on the other side. In fact, on my first ever playthrough I went though the whole game without realising that there was one such NPC literally right next to the main Central Yharnam gas lamp. This guy's actually good to talk to because he gives you vague hints on how to continue and there's actually a little story arc with him that completes in the late game.

The reason the doll is asleep is because you don't have any insight. Insight level is indicated by the little eye symbol on the top right of the screen. You get insight in various ways, but the most common are entering a boss room, killing a boss, or using a certain consumable item. So long as you have at least 1 insight, you can properly interact with the doll.

As with any soulsborne game, you always want to read item descriptions, because they're the main way you're going to unravel the lore, and I will say, I love the lore of this game. I'm not going to spoil the direction the story goes, but Ill just say it may not be quite what you expect. It certainly threw me for a loop the first time I played, though if I really paid attention I might have been able to see the hints of it earlier on.

Then there's just basic gameplay tips: always try to fight enemies 1v1 if you can (pebbles are actually a super useful item for luring an enemy away from its mates). Aggression is your best friend in Bloodborne; a surprising amount of enemies can be stunlocked, so don't be afraid to go ham.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Gryphos!

Thank you very much for the game tips. At the moment, at least I think that I am doing great in Bloodborne because I have already explored all of Central Yharnam and nothing there can stand against me anymore. I have easily killed Father Gascoigne and now I have started my raids into this creepy new place called Cathedral Ward.

Well, to be honest the only thing at Central Yharnam that I have not killed yet is the Cleric Beast... The first time that I encountered it I was like What is that? What is that?! What the F-bomb is that? Run! Run! and it killed me easily, so I want to level up a bit more before I go to fight it once again.

Yeah, the Doll awakened after I collected my first Insight from one of those Madman items.

I totally love the Doll, to the point that she will be my avatar here in Mythic Scribes soon or late. There is something really fascinating in her, she is so mysterious and magical... And she helps me to level up in exchange of blood echoes! At the moment I have Vitality at 24 and Endurance at 22, but the other skills are in much lower levels than that.

What should I level up after my Endurance reaches 24 too? What is Insight used for apart from awakening the Doll?

After talking to the people that hide in their houses again after having already reached Cathedral Ward, one of them has given me the Flamesprayer or something like that. It's very cool but it drains my Ammunition reserves very quickly, so I'll stick with the gun and the torch for some time.

My favorite main weapon is the Hunter's Axe and I have already fortified it several times.

The sad thing is that the girl that asked me (from inside of her house) to find her mother, has apparently killed herself after I returned the red brooch to her. First she was just crying, but now I get no answer from her lightless window and according to something that I read at the Bloodborne wiki she went into the sewers and got killed by the giant pig there.

Well, I did not tell her to go anywhere... this girl abandoned the safety of her house all by herself, I did find her mother and returned to her house with the bad news and that's all, it's not my fault!

I am literally in Heaven with the combat system of Bloodborne, it's freaking awesome.

I am still practicing my timing with the gun so I can stun difficult monsters and then perform the Visceral attack on them (it's my favorite way to kill Trolls), and I am worried to collect more Bloodstone Shard in order to keep fortifying my weapons.

What should I do now that I am venturing into Cathedral Ward?

Gryphos

Auror
You killed Gascoigne easily? That wasteman took me like ten tries my first playthrough. I love him though, especially after realising who he is...

The Cleric Beast really isn't that hard, just intimidating. If you can beat Gascoigne, it shouldn't be any problem. I actually managed to beat it on my first ever attempt.

After you get your endurance up a bit, I would suggest pumping points into your damage stats (strength and skill) just to make sure your ass-kicking output doesn't fall behind (because there are some pretty douchey bosses coming up). If you're sticking with the axe, then you probably want to focus on strength, since the axe scales well with strength. But on your first playthrough I would advise levelling both strength and skill so as to keep your options open for trying out any new weapon you come across.

Yo, so you found out about the girl dying in the sewer. Well, I would suggest going down into the sewer and confronting that pig again. You'll find out why.

Cathedral Ward is pretty similar to Central. Make sure you keep checking for interact-able doors/windows (here especially, since one of the NPCs here is actually quite important). Also, I'll assume you've talked to the crone in Oedon Chapel, but if you haven't, you definitely should.

Oh, and one last thing – something I didn't do on my first playthrough. You may want to try checking back at Iosefka's clinic...

Someday, I'll return to Bloodborne. I was one of those lame gamers who discovered how incredibly easy it is to die repeatedly from the very beginning of the game (and had already known it was supposed to be challenging) and sort of gave up on it. I don't know, but the older I get the less I care about that kind of challenge. But lots of games bore me easily nowadays.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hey Gryphos =)

The first time that I encountered Gascoigne it was by accident, because I just wanted to explore and I had no idea that the final boss of Central Yharnam would show up so soon. That first time, I was low in Blood Vials and also low in Molotov Cocktails and I still managed to almost kill him... He turned into his beast form and the fight continued a little more, but I died in the end.

After that, and already knowing where he lived, I decided to wait and keep leveling up. I also fortified my Hunter's Axe, and I made sure to carry almost full numbers of Blood Vials, Quicksilver Bullets and Molotov Cocktails for my next encounter with him. In the second battle my tactic was to keep moving and evading his attacks, and to wait for the right moments to deliver slash after slash right at him.

I also tossed some Molotov Cocktails, like three or four... And I killed him, and he did not even come close to defeating me =)

Thanks for the tips! I'll get my Endurance up to 24, and after that I shall concentrate on Strength and Skill. I did return to Iosefka's clinic, but she refuses to open the door and only gives me a special Blood Vial that is more powerful than the ordinary ones. I'll try to find all of the hiding citizens in Cathedral Ward, thank you.

I did kill the giant pig again, and it dropped a new item but I have no idea what to do with it.

Fifthview: Yeah, I also died over and over again at the start of Bloodborne. It can be frustrating, but it's also very satisfying to discover how you become stronger and stronger as you level up and fortify your weapons... When you play it again, I recommend choosing the Hunter's Axe and concentrate on leveling up Vitality and Endurance first.

When you advance deeper into the city of Yharnam, Bloodborne gets to be incredibly exciting.

The key element to enjoy the game is to learn good tactics to fight the monsters. It's important to learn how they move and how fast, so you can dodge their attacks and hit them when they are the most vulnerable and cannot stop you... Also, you need to learn how to shoot them with your gun at the perfect moment so they get stunned, and that's the opportunity to perform a Visceral Attack which kills almost any monster instantly.

I am loving this game, Bloodborne rules! =)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
the older I get the less I care about that kind of challenge.
I know what you mean. I used to love Street Fighter 2010 (NES!), which was basically a game where you would start the first level and the boss would swoop in after a few seconds and kill you several times, then you finally kill him only to find out that if you can't find the portal, you're going to die again in a few seconds. But I was 18 when that came out, so I was into it.

Now I'd be like, "I don't have time for this. Okay, game, you win."

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
My Bloodborne update:

I kept exploring Cathedral Ward last night, where I met a fellow Hunter called Alfred. I am not sure whether he really is a Hunter or not, but I decided to become friends with him and he awarded me some Fire Paper items and the Pray gesture. Something tells me that I should not really trust this dude, who knows what he is really after...

At least, now I can pray in front of the Doll!

After that, I managed to open what looked like a sealed tomb inside of a church. I went down the staircase very deep into that place, and after killing one of those giant wolves I discovered a new area of the city called Old Yharnam. There was a sign saying that Hunters are not wanted there and a mysterious voice told me to go away, but I entered it anyway.

Am I going the right way, or maybe I have taken the wrong path?

I leveled up my Endurance to 23 and I plan to reach 24 tonight. My Hunter's Axe is ready for a new Fortification, but I want to collect some more Bloodstone Shard in order to fortify both my axe and my gun at the same time.

I can't wait to reach the Forbidden Woods! =)

Last edited:

Gryphos

Auror
Ah yes, Old Yharnam. That's a fun area. Technically it's an optional area, but it's got some good loot and it's generally quite enjoyable.

Alfred's an interesting guy. I guess he is technically a hunter, just not a Workshop hunter; he follows Logarious, who you might learn more about later.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hey Gryphos.

After venturing more deeply into Old Yharnam, the mysterious voice said that it was necessary to stop me and then something started to shoot what looked like machine gunfire at me. It did a lot of damage and also it made fighting my way through the monster-infested area much more difficult, but eventually I climbed my way up that tower and I confronted the shooter face to face.

What a coward!

This traitor of a Hunter was hiding at the top of that tower, taking advantage of his super gun and the elevated position. Then, the limited area of that scary rooftop also gives him the edge in the fight... He killed me the first time (I still managed to hurt the hell out of him) and in my second attack I just slashed him quickly with my axe and caused him to fall from the tower.

He Is Dead.

What traitor was this? Protecting the Beasts? What was wrong with him? I wish it was possible to fight him fair and square in a better place to fight, I would kill him slowly like I happily killed the other Traitor... What Hunters were those two, trying to protect the beasts of Old Yharnam? Anyway they are dead now, and I'll keep hunting the hell out of this area because Old Yharnam is really an excellent place to hunt in thanks to so many Blood Echoes and the other rewards.

So far, the only thing that I have not killed in this area is the Bloodstarved Beast.

The bloody thing is really powerful. In my first encounter with it today, I managed to fight for a long time and it was in a very low health when it finally killed me. After this, I have spent some time leveling up and fortifying my weapons... I am pretty sure that I am going to kill it in our second encounter, but it's going to be very hard anyway.

I love this game! =)

Gryphos

Auror
Ah yes, Djura (machine gun guy) is an odd dude. There is actually a way for him to become non-hostile so you can talk to him and find out why he feels the way he does about the beasts, but to say how would spoil some stuff, so I won't. I will say, though, I can understand where he's coming from.

The Bloodstarved Beast is a pretty douchey fight – I think it took me like 5 or so attempts on my first playthrough, but I'm experienced enough by now that it's no challenge. Like all bosses, you just gotta learn those dodge-punish windows. But it doesn't help that this beasty has that poison shebang going on.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hi Gryphos!

Thank you very much for your tips, insight and comments about the game. To be honest, it's no problem if you give me some spoilers because I have been reading the Bloodborne wiki and also I am watching loads of Bloodborne videos... It's alright, I'll appreciate your guidance in this game a lot.

I am not really a good gamer, it's just that I have a knack for games that focus on hunting and killing and blood and predatory abilities in general. However, Bloodborne is really much more than just hunting and slaying stuff and I am sure that I am going to need loads of help at some moment...

For example, at the moment I have trouble to get past the Main Gate of Cathedral Ward.

I know that both the Cleric Beast and the Bloodstarved Beast are optional bosses, but according to the information that I have read at the Bloodborne Wiki I definitely must kill at least one of them if I want to get past that gate. Slaying the Cleric one will allow me to purchase the Emblem that I need to open the gate from where I am now, while killing the Bloodstarved horror shall allow me to open the gate from the other side.

I am planning to kill both anyway, but I want to level up a bit more and keep Fortifying at the moment... After all, I have already a constant supply of Bloodstone Shard from slaying the giant wolves at the bottom of Old Yharnam, Heh Heh.

Even if it's possible to become friends with Djura, I would never do that. I know now why he wanted to protect the beasts, and I disagree with that not to mention the fact that he will always be a coward in my eyes. To hide at that rooftop taking advantage of such a powerful gun and the elevated position is... unforgivable.

There is no honor in that, he is a coward and nothing more.

Some people think that causing him to fall from that tower is not fair, but considering that what he does is very far from fairness to begin with, I think that just hacking him until he falls is very fair indeed =)

One question, please: How do I share online the Screenshots that I have saved?

Gryphos

Auror
I'm not sure how to share the screenshots from the PS4, but I imagine that since they're saved to your hard drive you could just transfer them to your computer via a USB stick.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hi Gryphos, and anybody else that follows my Bloodborne thread.

I have started to move my Screenshots from my PS4 to my computer by means of a USB drive like you said, and I'll be sharing some of my favorites in this thread. In case you have screenshots of your character and your adventures in Yharnam, it would be cool to see them here.

This is my female Hunter:

Bloodborne_20160603213920.jpg

I took that screenshot while she was hiding from the machine gunfire somewhere at Old Yharnam. As you can see, she has orangish red hair and violet eyes. In this shot, her face is illuminated by the torchlight.

More Screenshots coming soon!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Steerpike.

Yeah, I definitely recommend you to get a Playstation 4. The console is unbelievably cool, and even though Gaming PCs are much more powerful their disadvantages are that they require more electricity and they are more expensive. PS4 is the most powerful console in the world, and it has incredible exclusive games like Bloodborne.

Would you recommend The Last of Us to me?

Well, I promised to keep sharing my favorite Bloodborne Screenshots and today I have selected a new one. This is my Hunter at the Hunter's Dream, demonstrating her loyalty to the Doll:

Bloodborne_20160606204548.jpg

Also, my Bloodborne update: After losing my first two encounters with the dreadful Bloodstarved Beast, I have finally won in the third battle and now that bloody thing (no pun intended!) is dead. The mysterious door at Oedon Chapel has been opened, and I am starting to explore the mysterious area ahead.

This game is freaking awesome =)

Gryphos

Auror
Ah, the doll. That's just reminded me, if you don't have the DLC 'The Old Hunters' yet, I would recommend it thoroughly, especially since you seem to be enjoying Bloodborne so much. It has some super sick boss fights and some fascinating lore implications. For example, you might learn the nature of the doll.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hi Gryphos.

After getting killed over and over again inside of that awful pit below the Healing Church Workshop tower, I gave up trying to open the Main Gate that way and I went to kill the Cleric Beast instead. It was surprisingly easy now that I am more powerful, and I saved the video of that battle in order to upload it to Youtube.

I am going to share it here =)

So, the gate is open now and I have been exploring more of Cathedral Ward. I fought my way up the Grand Cathedral, and at the top I discovered a dark chamber where I can hear a woman praying... I am not sure but I think that she is Vicar Amelia, which explains why I turned around at that point in order to get stronger before this new Boss Fight.

I have also discovered a new area called Hemwick Charnel Lane.

It's very cool to find myself in a forest after exploring so much streets and buildings, this is an interesting change of scenario. The Witches there (at least, I think that they are witches) are very dangerous, what a cool and creepy forest. I'll try to find the Forbidden Woods tomorrow, I need new Hunting grounds.

Oh, also I got killed by one of those awful Snatcher things and I ended up at the underground jail world. I already managed to light the Lamp there, and I rescued a Nun of the Healing Church that now resides at Oedon Chapel with the others. I know that this Nun is crazy and it's better to kill her, but I am sparing her life at the moment.

The awful pit in which you have to drop from one wooden platform to another is the only thing that I have disliked in Bloodborne so far. In general it's a very fair and excellent game but that pit is unfair and stupid, I am starting to hate it. I want to keep trying in order to reach the Abandoned Workshop and seek the Doll clothing there, though.

Which is your favorite area of the game's vast world?

Gryphos

Auror
Oooo, favourite area, eh? I think that's got to be Yahar-gul after ... everything changes ... you'll know what I mean when you get there. The shift in atmosphere is f*cking tasty.

Hemwick Charnel Lane is a pretty cool area, and it's actually a good idea to complete this area as soon as possible because after the boss you get the pretty important ability to equip Caryl Runes. Just a warning: you can try to find the Forbidden Woods, but you won't be able to go there until you've found the password, 'the adage of the Grand Cathedral'. Vicar Amelia is in the Grand Cathedral......

So you saved the nun and she's now in Oedon Chapel. You mentioned others; does that mean you managed to save the old woman and Arianna too? Arianna is quite important story-wise. Adella (the nun) is a little crazy, like everyone else in the Healing Church (seriously, once you research some of the lore you realise how f*cked up it all is), but it's not necessary to kill her. She only becomes a problem under a very specific set of circumstances.

Getting to the Abandoned Workshop is a pain in the arse. It took me a while to get the method down and even now I'm not 100% on doing it. It might be worth looking up a tutorial on youtube. Getting into the workshop, however, is vital, not just for the doll swag, but also for a very significant lore item. Like, one of the most important items in the game.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Gryphos!

Thanks to some excellent Youtube videos about the pit below the Healing Church Workshop, I have finally managed to reach both the bottom of the pit and the Abandoned Old Workshop. It's very easy when you know the right way, but how was I supposed to discover it when said right way is completely invisible in the darkness?

That was incredibly unfair and stupid, a true stain in an otherwise super enjoyable game.

I got the Doll clothing, the Old Hunter Bone and a few other things. The area accessible from the bottom took me to a shortcut to Cathedral Ward, but there was nothing special in there. Yeah, I have rescued Arianna, Adella and the old lady from Central Yharnam. I also met Eileen the Crow, she's cool.

My Bloodborne Update: The Witch of Hemwick is dead, Vicar Amelia is dead and I have opened the password-protected door at last. The Forbidden Woods look incredible, and I shall start exploring that new area tonight.

And now, my first gaming video ever! This is my battle against the Cleric Beast:

Last edited: