• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Death Stranding

Gryphos

Auror
One of the more noteworthy things to come out of E3 this year. Say what you will about Kojima, dude's got mad creativity. I am thoroughly intrigued by Norman Reedus and his Norman Fetus.

For nothing but a cinematic teaser, you can already get an idea for some of the game's themes. The William Blake quote in the beginning suggests immense possibilities and seeking more; the C-section scar on Norman Reedus' stomach implies that he gave birth to the child, suggesting themes of motherhood; the undone handcuffs create a sense of breaking free (perhaps representing how the creator Kojima himself has 'broken free' of Konami); meanwhile, the oily handprints and masses of dead fish can suggest environmentalism as a theme. I dunno wtf those five guys in the sky were, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Someone made the connection between the 5 figures and the 5 thumb drives around his neck. Also, those thumb drives have some kind of mathematical equation etched on them.

"Stranding" is when a Boat,sailor or sea creature runs ashore. So "Death stranding" could be a phenomenon in which a person is on the brink of death? Maybe?

I have to say I am super impressed that Kojima productions was able to produce and animate/render this in what... six-ish months? I mean its 3 minutes. and most of the minutes is black screen, or looking at sand, which I guess yeah is super easy to make/render/texture. The fish must all be copy pasted versions of themselves, maybe a few different textures to make them look different.

Is it just him working on this? No, didn't some other gamedev's leave with him? I know he was traveling a lot this year.

Did you guys notice all the fish/crabs/dolphins also have black cables coming out of them?

Gryphos

Auror
Lunaairis said:
Did you guys notice all the fish/crabs/dolphins also have black cables coming out of them?

Ooooooo, interesting! My best guess is that they're umbilical cords; they look artificial, just like the baby's. I swear this game gets more wtf the more I examine it.

Shafa

Dreamer
Mads Mikkelsen has also joined this project and I couldn't think of any addition better than him.