• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Video Game Recs

So, I'm looking for video game recommendations because i'm looking to become somewhat of an actual gamer (i.e. someone who has played more than Super Mario Bros and the like...) I especially like dragons, of course.

My main problem is that I can't play anything with a rating higher than T, because my brothers will be playing it...at least, not until I move out.

Help, anyone? A place to start?

Edit: I like gorgeous landscapes and lots of lore. And something I can play on a somewhat affordable console would be nice...

La Volpe

Sage
Well, I guess a start would be: What consoles do you currently have, if any? And what does your PC's specs look like?

When I think of dragons, the first two games that pop into my head are Skyrim (which I think has a mature rating?) and I of the Dragon (which is a game I played a demo of really long ago).

But let's assume you're looking for games without dragons as well. What kind of games are you currently playing, and what genres do you enjoy? If you like old RPGs, Breath of Fire has dragons, and it's a really decent series.

Well, I guess a start would be: What consoles do you currently have, if any? And what does your PC's specs look like?

When I think of dragons, the first two games that pop into my head are Skyrim (which I think has a mature rating?) and I of the Dragon (which is a game I played a demo of really long ago).

But let's assume you're looking for games without dragons as well. What kind of games are you currently playing, and what genres do you enjoy? If you like old RPGs, Breath of Fire has dragons, and it's a really decent series.

I just have the wii right now, which is pretty ancient. But this is kind of a non-issue since i might be getting a new console soon and what things I want to play might shape which I get...

As for genres, I do like RPG's, but i'm looking for a place to start more than anything. Dragons are not a requirement, but they're a big plus. Please understand that I don't have a lot of gaming experience and mostly play the things my brothers play, so I don't even know what I like.

Something that's good in multiplayer (w/friends or siblings in my case) would be great, haha..

La Volpe

Sage
Well, since you have a Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl is ridiculously fun (and multiplayer). It's a beat-em-up free-for-all game. It's not really a game that you 'finish', per se (though it does have a little "story mode"), but it's fun and it'll expose you to a lot of Nintendo (and other) characters.

Also on the Wii/Gamecube is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I absolutely love the Fire Emblem series. It's a tactical RPG. Very fun and quite long. Also includes dragons and dragon(esque) riders (some of which are allies). Not multiplayer.

Then, of course, I'd recommend any Legend of Zelda game you can get your hands on. Especially Windwaker (on the Gamecube), Ocarina of Time (remastered on the Gamecube) and Skyward Sword (Wii, but you'll need a Wii-motion plus remote). Also not multiplayer.

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) is a really nice RPG that has multiplayer support. The battles are real-time action, and each extra player controls one of the four characters in each battle. My brother and I used to play this a lot. Note that you'll probably need Gamecube controllers to play this. I'm not sure if the Wiimote has enough buttons.

Gryphos

Auror
It may be worth getting a PS3 just so you can play the classics of the last generation. For thoughtful fantasy action with RPG elements, I will always recommend the seminal work Dark Souls, an undeniable masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. I can't recall the game's age rating off the top of my head, but there shouldn't be anything inappropriate in it. While I do believe the game's difficulty has been over-exaggerated and over-emphasised in the past, the game is still undeniably tricky, especially to those lacking in experience with this kind of game – just something to keep in mind.

La Volpe mentioned Skyrim. That's definitely worth playing, even if I think it's somewhat overrated.

On PS3 you can also play Shadow of the Colossus, one of the classics of the PS2 era. This is widely held to be one of the greatest games of all time. You might be able to download it on the PS4 as well, though.

If you'd rather get in with the current gen and buy a PS4, you can play Bloodborne. This game was made by the same people as Dark Souls and it's broadly similar, but different in its faster-paced combat and gothic aesthetic rather than medieval fantasy.

On the PS3 and PS4 you can download Journey, a small hour/2 hour game which is personally my favourite of all time. It's hard to explain, though, but it's truly a powerful piece of art.

On the PS4 (though you can also play it on Xbox One and PC) there's Overwatch, a multiplayer FPS I've been sinking so much time into the past few months.

On the PC, there's Portal and Portal 2, some fantastic puzzle games utilising portals. They also have some of the best dead-pan humour you'll ever see.

On the PC there's a whole swathe of great, cheap indie games that are more artistically impressive than most big-budget studio games. Throwing some names out there: Bastion, Transistor, Darkest Dungeon, The Banner Saga, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Invisible Inc, Mark of the Ninja, Mount & Blade: Warband, Undertale.

La Volpe

Sage
I have to second Gryphos's mentions of Portal, Portal 2, Bastion, Transistor, and Mark of a Ninja. All excellent games that I loved.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I also have the Wii (and Wii U but don't get that), and would suggest any of the older SNES RPGs that you can get on the virtual console. Those include Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, any of the Final Fantasy games, and Secret of Mana. Those have the added bonus of being pretty cheap.

If you're thinking about a console, the Nintendo Switch comes out in May, and we'll have a better idea of whether it'll be worth it sometime in January. A number of early indicators suggest it could be very promising, but obviously it won't have much of a games library for a while yet.

Truthfully, if you're looking for multiplayer games to play with people in the room with you, there aren't many options outside Nintendo. Most games, but especially fantasy games nowadays, involve solo-play with other people in an on-line network. You'll be hard pressed to find many XBOX or Playstation games that let you play with people in the room.

I've been watching gameplay videos of Skyrim. In terms of content it's nothing I wouldn't play, but I couldn't have my siblings around, which...is hard, since we're homeschooled... and convincing my parents might be tough...

Sigh, it looks like everything I like in a game. Especially the immersive world and the soundtrack. :(

It sucks since games are often an inspiration for me in terms of writing. Especially games with great artwork.

La Volpe

Sage
I've been watching gameplay videos of Skyrim. In terms of content it's nothing I wouldn't play, but I couldn't have my siblings around, which...is hard, since we're homeschooled... and convincing my parents might be tough...

Sigh, it looks like everything I like in a game. Especially the immersive world and the soundtrack. :(

It sucks since games are often an inspiration for me in terms of writing. Especially games with great artwork.

Yeah, Skyrim's visuals are something else.

What exactly is it that would be a problem with the siblings around? The violence, the monsters, or what?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Right, games...
I used to identify as a gamer, had the belly to prove it, all the consoles and the special editions and everything, and then I started writing...

These days I mostly play Hearthstone. ;)

Anyway... here's a few recommendations:

Defense Grid: The Awakening
Tower Defense game. Bit of a puzzler. Got a nice story to it, where the mystery of the narrator is revealed little by little as you progress through the levels. Released in 2008 should run on your average toaster these days. On sale on steam at the moment. (I've got 93 hours on record) - Save 75% on Defense Grid: The Awakening on Steam

Aquaria
2D exploration game. Immense underwater world to explore. Has some puzzles and items that need to be picked up in the right order to unlock new areas to explort. I never beat this one, but I think I got pretty close. Released in 2007, runs on anything with a color display. Not on sale. (I've got 39 hours logged) - Aquaria on Steam

Sunless Sea
Lovecraftian boat exploration game on an underground sea. Slow and atmospheric. Requires a lot of patience, and then you die and when you're dead you're dead as dead can be and have to start over from scratch again. Don't expect to get very far on your first try. Released 2015 should run on most average computers. On sale. (I've got 27 hours on record) - Save 66% on SUNLESS SEA on Steam

Ori and the Blind Forest
2d metroidvania scroller. Hand drawn graphics (I think). Very pretty and and with a warm cozy feel to it. Has a bit of a Legend of Zelda feel to it in the collection of items, keys, and maps. Originally released in 2015 or '14. New edition with extra levels release in 2016. Check system requirements before buying (I logged 21 hours) - Save 66% on SUNLESS SEA on Steam

Trine
Get 1 and 2, skip Trine 3.
Some of the most beautiful games I've played. 2.5d side scrollers. Inspired by Lost Vikings. The art is amazing and you'll be hard pressed to get more fairy-taley than this. Currently on sale. Should run on most relatively new PCs. (25 hours logged across Trine 1 and Trine 2) - Save 85% on Trine Enchanted Edition on Steam

The Banner Saga
Turn based strategy with Vikings. Hand drawn. Pretty. Interesting story, but a short. New chapter released recently that I didn't play. Will probably run on most machines. Technically on sale, but still kind of pricey relative to previous suggestions (11h logs) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/237990/

Valkyria Chronicles
JRPG set in a world similar to the Baltic states during the second world war. There's no exploration, but the story is interesting, and even the supporting NPCs of your squad have their own personalities. The combat system is reminiscent of XCom (that's a good thing). Should run on most computers. (Played it on the PS3, twice, totalling about 70 hours). On sale - http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Mini Ninjas
"Cartoon Violence" - This one's cute, but with plenty of action. There's a bunch of riddles and puzzles and some boss fights. Neat little story. Did I mention there are cute characters? Released in 2009, runs on the grandfather clock in the corner in the attic. Played 13 hours. On sale. - http://store.steampowered.com/app/35000/

Final Comments
No, that's not a game. :p
If you can't afford a console, see about getting a game pad/controller for the PC instead. They've been common enough for a while that a lot of games support them now, and not just new releases.
Also, dig around on Steam and see what you'll find on sale. There are a lot of good games out there that you can sink hours into without shelling out a fortune. Being a gamer isn't just about playing the new hip AAA titles, it's about enjoying games and the challenges they present.
At least, that's what it's about to me. Then again, I don't game much these days, not as much as I did.

Gryphos

Auror
I second Svrtnsse on Sunless Sea and The Banner Saga. Both excellent games with intriguing worldbuilding.

Yeah, Skyrim's visuals are something else.

What exactly is it that would be a problem with the siblings around? The violence, the monsters, or what?

The violence and monsters would probably be fine, though mom wouldn't like the blood and stuff one bit. All my siblings have seen worse in movies. Some of the dialogue in it has some bad/suggestive language though, and though it would probably go over their heads...I don't know, I just doubt my parents would be comfortable with them being exposed to it. I could get headphones, I guess. I've brought it up to my dad and I think I could convince him. My mom though. O_O

I'll probably be getting Star Wars Battlefront though.

La Volpe

Sage
The violence and monsters would probably be fine, though mom wouldn't like the blood and stuff one bit. All my siblings have seen worse in movies. Some of the dialogue in it has some bad/suggestive language though, and though it would probably go over their heads...I don't know, I just doubt my parents would be comfortable with them being exposed to it. I could get headphones, I guess. I've brought it up to my dad and I think I could convince him. My mom though. O_O

I'll probably be getting Star Wars Battlefront though.

Hm, I see. I don't remember the bad/suggestive dialogue being very prevalent, but I can see how that could be a problem. Also, I almost think you can turn off all the blood.

Seeing as you like Star Wars, also have a look at Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. It's an action RPG, and your main character is a Jedi. It's kinda old, but you can get it for cheap on Steam. In fact, it's on sale for ridiculously cheap right now. And I also note there is a bundle that includes both Knights of the Old Republic games and Battlefront, and Jedi Outcast, which is also cool, and Force Unleashed 2, which is also pretty nice. It's 77% off at the moment (It's showing in rands on my side: R222, which should be about $16; and that's for 14 games). You've chosen a good time to buy games; Steam has a Christmas sale every year in which huge discounts are offered.