• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Interesting Lore/Story behind video games

Shafa

Dreamer
What story has fascinated you and why?

My personal best would be Legacy of Kain series. (Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Defiance)

If you are not familiar with it I suggest watch the videos on YouTube or read the story on fan sites. A very different take on vampires, entangling the plot to existential dilemmas regarding both life and death, good and evil, religion and so on. I just couldn't believe how good of a story a vampire based action video game could have.

At some point they even made a movie deal with Columbia pictures if I remember right, but then later on it got cancelled. It's sad no one is pursuing such an interesting IP anymore.

Two of my favourite video games are Final Fantasy VII and Radiant Historia. There is so much to both games in terms of story and themes, and FFVII has a spiritual side that I quite like.

Gryphos

Auror
Hands down my favourite game lore-wise has to be Bloodborne. It has Lovecraftian gods, transhumanism, a plague that turns people into beasts, sinister religious sects, dream dimensions, and a f*ck load of blood-based imagery. It's a delicious fusion of gothic horror and cosmic horror aesthetics which I can't get enough of.

The original Dark Souls also has amazing lore, with one of my favourite characters ever (Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight/Cinder). The reason I specify the first Dark Souls as opposed to the series in general is that I feel the sequels kind of clutter the lore. The lore of the first game works so perfectly well by itself, but the sequels introduce so many new concepts that it trivialises the events of the first game. Like, Gwyn being the 'Lord of Cinder' was a huge deal! But now that he's only the first of many Lords of Cinder just ... I dunno, lessens his significance. Regardless, Dark Souls has some amazing lore. I can't wait to see Hidetaka Miyazaki work his magic on a new setting with a new story.

Hi,

Two games stand out for me in this. The first is Neverwinter Nights - the original game - simply because the story was such an awesome pull with Aribeth having to watch her innocent love be executed because he made a mistake and ultimately turning bad.

And I loved the world build of Arcanum where magic and technology clash, so wizards can't go near technology without both the magic and the tech failing.

Cheers, Greg.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
So, eh... Hearthstone?

It's a bit of a meta-story in that it's a card game based on another game (which has got loads of lore tied to it). There's been some story tied to it in the form of various different adventures that have had a bit of a storyline to them, but that's all inside of the game so to speak.

Now they've gone and added a bit of outside story to the game:

I'm not sure how interesting this story will be, or what it'll be about, and it probably won't be revolutionary, but the idea behind it is really cool.

There's a card game based on a game with a lot of story, and then you add on a new story about characters playing that game. It's got potential. :)

EDIT: For more/better explanation: Meet Hearthstone?s new original characters in this animated short - Polygon

Last edited by a moderator: