• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Pyre

Gryphos

Auror
A little studio called Supergiant Games has just cemented itself as my favourite game developer. They're 3 for 3 on making truly beautiful works of art, after the release of their third and latest, Pyre.

Pyre takes place in the Downside, a vast purgatory dimension used by a civilisation known as the Commonwealth to banish criminals, political opponents and prisoners of war — there to live out the rest of their days. The only way to gain freedom from the Downside is to succeed in the Rites, which can best be described as a ritual sports championship.

And competing in these Rites forms about half of Pyre's gameplay. You control a team of 3 exiles in what is essentially a game of basketball, but with funky abilities. It's incredibly fun and engaging and, on higher difficulties, pretty damn tough.

The rest of the game between these Rites is a narratively driven RPG, kinda like a visual novel in many respects, as your caravan of exiles traverses the landscape of the Downside and you learn more about them through conversations.

And the characters in question are all amazing and diverse. What other #squad consists of a big demon woman, a nice dude, a talking dog with a moustache, a strange girl who can hear the gods, a tiny imp creature, a knight who happens to be a fish-worm, a harpy, a mastermind tree-person and a snake witch? All of them are distinct, compelling, and prompt genuine attachment as you strive to let them each earn their freedom.

And, as with all Supergiant games, both the art style and soundtrack are in a league of their own.

Truly great.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It's on my list as well. Not bought it yet, but it's mostly just a matter of time. I didn't quite like Bastion, but I very much enjoyed Transistor. :)