• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any Good Casual Games?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Right now I play Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. I've also got the Wii U with a number of games, and we're saving for the Switch. I'm at a place where the only games I can justify spending any money on are the ones the kids can play too.

So I'm looking for a casual fantasy game. Ideally it's fantasy-genre, dirt cheap, lets you create something, regularly updates, isn't all a grind/numbers game, and feels like you actually get somewhere in relatively little time per day.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at Folk Tale on Steam, but it's still in early access beta stages. :(

Besiege, also on Steam, looks good as well, but I doubt it would hold up for more than a week or two - and it's also early access.

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Apart from Hearthstone, the game I've played the most lately is Morhpblade: Morphblade on Steam - it's probably not very interesting for your kids, but it's great for a quick game and killing off a few minutes.

A game which may potentially be fun for both you and the kids is Aquaria: Aquaria on Steam - it's about exploring a huge underwater world and uncovering a story.

Also nice in bite sized chunks is Plants vs Zombies, Lara Croft GO, and Crayon Physics Deluxe (which is expensive, but has a free demo).

I'm afraid neither of these provide any kind of character progression, but the only games I play that provide that are WoW and Diablo 3, and I figured those were out of scope.

Gryphos

Auror
Crypt of the Necrodancer might be worth checking out. It's kind of a rhythm game crossed with a dungeon explorer. Fun, kid-friendly, good replay value.

Mount & Blade: Warband, perhaps? RPG with engaging combat and battles, very easy to sink a lot of time into, and has an active multiplayer community even after quite a few years. What's more, there's loads of great mods you can download for it on Steam, some of which drastically improve a few of the RPG mechanics further.

Darkest Dungeon is also good. Party management, strategic dungeon explorer with a lot of interesting mechanics. It's quite heavy with its grim, Lovecraftian subject matter, but its 2D aesthetic stops it from being particularly graphically gruesome or violent.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
@Svrtnsse, Aquaria looks like a fun game, but it's the type of game I can match on the Wii U. Morphblade may be just a little too casual for me.

@Grphos, what the heck is that? Crypt of the NecroDancer looks crazy wild. But I have no rhythm - like, none at all. Mount & Blade looks gritty and cool. I'll keep an eye on the sequel when it comes out. Darkest Dungeon - sorry, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

I added links to the two games I was looking at in the OP. Folk Tale is apparently dead, though. :(

I recommend Banner Saga. It's a simple indie viking themed fantasy game that has chess like battles that don't take overly long and even with short gaming sessions you will progress the storyline. The art and music is stellar and it is one of the only games in the past years that has actually made me cry.