• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Old School Games

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So, in an effort to destroy any momentum I had going on my novel, I have found a website called Gog.com. (Good Ole Games). I found a bunch of old school games there which I'm now have a big nostalgia trip on. Here's a list:

Baldur's Gate
Baludr's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Master of Orion
Master of Orion 2
Master of Magic
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicks
Planescape: Torment
Star Control
Star Control 2
Syndicate

I probably just spent around 60 dollars on all of these games (the price of one Xbox or PS3 game) so I'm very, very happy with this find.

Trivia: If some of you don't know, the default pics here at Mythic Scribes are from Baldur's Gate.

Anybody play any of these and want to take a trip down memory lane?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm really divided about things like this. On the one hand it's cool to go back and play old games again but on the other hand it's not really the same as it was back in the day when I first played them.

In fairness I should admit that of the ones on the list I've only played Syndicate. I've heard of the others ones though - they're all on the Big List of Game I Wish I'd Played When They Were New. :/

robertbevan

Troubadour
i used to love me some dragon warrior (aka dragon quest) back in the day. also a game called crystalis.

i enjoyed the old final fantasy games as well, but i really liked final fantasy tactics. if i were able to design a game today, i'd make it a combination of final fantasy tactics and civilization. it would be a fantasy rpg, and you wouldn't advance in technology like you do in civ, but... i'm going to stop. i could drag this on for pages and pages.

Telcontar

Staff
Arcanum is basically the best RPG I've ever played. I'd love to see a remake of it. Planescape is great too, if a bit byzantine and confusing.

Now considering loading up Arcanum...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
also a game called crystalis.

I didn't think anybody else ever remembered that one. That was one of the first Nintendo games I ever played.

To me, aside from the original Square Soft (Enix) RPGs, the best old school games were Sierra's Quest for Glory 1-5.

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
I have, and still play, Might & Magic 7 from time to time. I borrowed 6 from a friend and beat it. Both great games, but 7 is the better in my opinion largely due to the addition of the card game Arcomage. So much fun to play!

Telcontar

Staff
No, I never played 8 or 9. I think it was 8 that I heard some bad things about on release (meaning, it was buggy) so I didn't pick it up.

Ravana

Istar
What, no Doom? What good is it, then? :p

Seriously, though–anybody experience any compatibility problems with any of these? Or do they actually run on Windows 7?

Neurosis

Minstrel
Planescape: Torment > Any other game before or after.
In terms of story at least.

You should probably add Fallout 1 and 2 to your list.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I have the Fallout collection back at home (Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics). I need to get it sent to me if it can be located amongst all my crap. :)

Telcontar

Staff
@Ravana: If you haven't heard of or used Dosbox, you should start. :)

I can get pretty much anything running now with a combination of dosbox and other emulators. The last remaining barrier is that sometimes the 32-bit virtual machine doesn't seem to work smoothly, resulting in errors with older games running on 64-bit systems. Fortunately, my laptop is 32-bit and has more than enough muscle to run any of these older games.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Telcontar, I would love if you could give me a tutorial on Dosbox. I have it and it works for some of my games automatically. But others I have to "install" it, and I haven't used Dos in so long, it's hard to figure out. Gog.com where I got most of my games automatically loads stuff so I don't have to worry with it. But there's a lot of abandonware I'd like to try to play on Dosbox.

robertbevan

Troubadour
ooh ooh... how did i forget "wild arms"? the first one, anyway. the best part of it was the spaghetti western background music. that game was a really enjoyable experience.

Reaver

Staff
Altered Beast, Ghosts & Goblins, Shining in the Darkness and of course, SHADOWRUN for the Sega Genesis

Last edited by a moderator:

Telcontar

Staff
@Phil: I might take a whack at that, but it'll be awhile before I can devote the time. You might try searching for such a tutorial, as some no doubt already exist. :)