• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing for fun and profit

arizela

Hello, folks.

I'm Arizela but most of my online friends call me Ari. I write fiction for fun (predominantly grimdark fantasy in alternate earth settings), and science for a living. My fiction is character-driven with dark themes, often focusing on the fantasy equivalents of real-world problems like addiction, sexuality, and gender inequality. I have been honing my craft and writing novels for 13 years, but have not published.

I saw a thread on this board asking for honesty about why we haven't published, so here's my story. Really, it comes down to two factors for me. First is a split focus - as much as I love writing fiction, I really have chosen to put my scientific writing and career first. My scientific work focuses on the intersection between human health, social environments, and genetics. I have been published in multiple medical and nursing journals and continue to be active in research and teaching in those fields. Secondly, I suffer from a rare genetic disorder that is sometimes well-controlled and sometimes flares up to leave me profoundly disabled for anywhere from days to years at a time. Despite this limitation, I manage to be productive more often than not, but it does limit my ability to commit simultaneously to multiple high-intensity endeavors, say being a fiction author and a scientist.

It is likely that my health and science will continue to take center stage for a long time, but I am committed to honing the craft of writing and continuing to develop stories that may end up in print someday. On a personal note, I adore superhero movies and British television. I have a husband, son, three dogs, and a slight yarn hording problem. My knitting circle says hello!

Ronald T.

Troubadour
Welcome, Ari. Clearly, you have a few hurdles to jump that most of us don't face, and it saddens me that it makes the chore of writing more difficult for you. Writing is tough enough all by itself. But I hope you find generous support here at Mythic Scribes, just as I, and so many others, have.

All my best to you.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Ari
I'm having the strangest case of déjà vu....
Good to have you here.

Lisselle

Minstrel
Hi Ari :) You are so accomplished for having such hurdles, quite inspirational. Nice to see you here and I look forward to reading everything you wish to share, be it opinions, thoughts or writing.