• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Howdy all

kabe

Acolyte
Hello all, a quick intro, if I can find the words...
Well, I'm hoping I can get myself into some sort of ideally-daily routine of writing something, even if only a couple of paragraphs - I guess that's the best place to start with building the discipline, really.
Heroic fantasy has spanned a lifetime for me, beginning with David Gemmell, through to Peter V Brett and Brent Weeks most recently, tho I guess it all depends on whether, and then how, you define all the branches of fantasy.
At the moment, I'm reading - again - China Mieville's Bas Lag series and, before that, finished a re-read of Clive Barker's Weaveworld, one of the biggest-impact books I can remember from my youth.
I'll leave it there for now. It's nice to be here...!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met kabe of Melbourne
Good to have you here.
Leap on in and enjoy the wonder that is Mythic Scribes!

Russ

Istar
Welcome aboard Kabe. Hope you enjoy your time here. Always nice to meet another Mieville fan, I feel he is on the of the freshest and most powerful voices in current fiction.

kinslayeur

Scribe
Welcome. I'm new as well and having a routine that includes writing is essential for me. I usually will finish anything I'm doing at least 1 hour before I am calling it a night and then will use that 1 hour to write. So far it has helped me immensely.

Aryth

Minstrel
Welcome! I was unfamiliar with a couple of the authors you mentioned and decided to look them up. The books look interesting, if a little scary, but I'm going to give them a shot! I don't usually read horror so we'll see how it goes. :)

kabe

Acolyte
Thanks for your reply - I hadn't actually thought of them that way but, on reflection, yep, I guess there's a bit of a scare factor in what I like to read. China Mieville is really worth a read, but aim for his pure fantasy books. For sheer creativity he's pretty much unbeatable (IMO). Clive Barker's always had the scare angle in what he writes, from what I can remember.