• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New guy

Hello, all.

I'm here because I don't know where else to turn. I'm nearing the end of my 4th decade on this planet, and though I'm good at my job and I do well financially, I am always thinking about "what should I be doing that would genuinely make me happy?"

I both love the fantasy genre and enjoy the meditative practice of writing and the exhilaration of building new worlds. However, with life and all that goes with it, I've never committed myself fully towards doing something I love, as opposed to doing something that makes me good money.

So should I start? Perhaps it's too late. I have written more than I would presume 98% of the world has written, but generally it's of the professional / business writing sort. I've spent a couple of years in an actual warzone as a younger man, and have lived for years in areas as diverse as the Arabian desert to the Arctic, so my life experiences are probably conducive to story telling. I've also been building a world / story in my head for the last 5 years or so. So while I am likely to be terrible at writing descriptive, engrossing prose right off the bat, I feel there is something of a foundation there.

Anyway, I just thought I'd introduce myself and explain my internal struggles.

Looks like there is a good community here. I hope I am welcomed and I hope I retain the nerve to stick around. I don't have friends who are interested in these things in the real world, and so am turning (callback to the first sentence) to a virtual community for help and encouragement.

Thad.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome, Thad. You will find Mythic Scribes to be both helpful and encouraging. You will also find that you are not at all alone in starting late or in feeling that you've started late. Yes you absolutely can start to get serious in your forties. Or fifties or sixties. Happily, while writing is sandpaper to the soul, it's not physically demanding. You can be just about any age.

Take a look around. Browse the forums. Use Search to dig up old threads. You're taking the right first steps.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Thad_Langley of the Midwest
Good to have you here.
I've been here for five decades and I think anyone that has found the answer has forgotten what the question was.
Leap on in and enjoy Mythic Scribes.