• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Newbie Alert!

Skyler

Greetings to everyone :)

I am an aspiring writer -my main passion is art, but I've always loved writing as well and I do hope to publish a book of my own some day. For as long as I can remember, I've always relished weaving stories, world building and seeing my characters come to life through words.

However I do have a slight problem: I have trouble starting a story if I have not thought out every possible detail (not necessarily regarding the plot, but the world building itself). I spend so much time world building, from deciding on character/city names to the religion, the language, how the world came to be, etc.

The best example is the one book (I see it as a trilogy) I wish to publish one day. I've been working on this story for several years now (I think it's been four years since I came up with the original concept). And over the course of these years, so much has changed (from character names to the actual main conflict haha). And now I'm struggling with figuring out a couple of things (for example what kind of magic is used, its origin, determining the main conflict...). I've got a lot of ideas but now I need to put some order to it. The main character has really become a part of me now, after spending so much time developing her. So my dream now is to one day see her story come to words, see my book published and perhaps one day I will manage to make it into a graphic novel series.

Anyways, all this to say that I'm hoping becoming part of this community will help me enrich my writing and all. I can't wait to discover this forum :)

(On a side-note, I'd like to warn you all that I tend to ramble a lot haha, I talk a lot :D)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Skyler
Good to have you here.
To world-build, to pants, or something else?
That is the question.
Not sure there is an answer but the debates are fun.
Pull up a seat and enjoy the show.